Light interruption. Advice please!

DannyTwoJoints

2023 Circle of Excellence
Hi all. I've had a run of bad luck this past week and was hoping for some comforting words/advice.

I've had three lights on interruptions due to power cuts over the past few days. I was at home for one and got a battery powered led in the tent within a couple of minutes. I was out for another, so there was a few hours of unscheduled darkness. Another today, around 20 minutes unscheduled dark.

I'm feeling a little bit sick, as it's both my mother & flowering tent that have been affected.

Timers are still on original schedule.

I'm hoping the mothers stay in veg and don't go weird on me, as it's another 10-12 weeks before I can move them into a greenhouse for the outdoor season.

I'm just wondering if I should cut my losses with the flowering room? I have some Medicine Man at week 4 of flower (so I'll probably just let it run & see) and Mango Haze, Widow Grail & G13 Widow that were put straight into 12/12 from seed, and haven't shown sex yet.

Is it worth using another 12/14 weeks of power at the risk of having them herm on me?

Hi all. I've had a run of bad luck this past week and was hoping for some comforting words/advice.

I've had three lights on interruptions due to power cuts over the past few days. I was at home for one and got a battery powered led in the tent within a couple of minutes. I was out for another, so there was a few hours of unscheduled darkness. Another today, around 20 minutes unscheduled dark.

I'm feeling a little bit sick, as it's both my mother & flowering tent that have been affected.

I'm hoping the mothers stay in veg and don't go weird on me, as it's another 10-12 weeks before I can move them into a greenhouse for the outdoor season.

I'm just wondering if I should cut my losses with the flowering room? I have some Medicine Man at week 4 of flower (so I'll probably just let it run & see) and Mango Haze, Widow Grail & G13 Widow that were put straight into 12/12 from seed, and haven't shown sex yet.

Is it worth using another 12/14 weeks of power at the risk of having them herm on me?
If you have good access to each plant i would ride it out.
Important to check them regularly in the first weeks and make sure to prune al the lower branches off.

I have had this happen also a couple of times in the past, never saw herms.
I think that longer light in bloom has more potential to wake the herm gene.

As for the moms, a dose of grow ferts and perhaps a spray of seaweed extract and an extra hour of light for a week should keep them happy!

If you have good access to each plant i would ride it out.
Important to check them regularly in the first weeks and make sure to prune al the lower branches off.

I have had this happen also a couple of times in the past, never saw herms.
I think that longer light in bloom has more potential to wake the herm gene.

As for the moms, a dose of grow ferts and perhaps a spray of seaweed extract and an extra hour of light for a week should keep them happy!

Thanks @Swifty I'll take the advice & plug on. It's frustrating as I never had a power cut in my 12 or more years growing in the UK, but out at least once a year here - the joy of living in the sticks!

I've got a little veg tent & a spare lamp = I might as well set it up and take some cuttings from the moms and root them at 20/4, and bump the moms up from 18 to 19/5 in their tent.

I've said it before, but I'm going to pull my finger out and put a solar powered LED on a timer & photo switch (so it kicks in as soon as the mains lights go out) in each tent with a solar panel outside the building.

I've got a little veg tent & a spare lamp = I might as well set it up and take some cuttings from the moms and root them at 20/4, and bump the moms up from 18 to 19/5 in their tent.

I've said it before, but I'm going to pull my finger out and put a solar powered LED on a timer & photo switch in each tent with a solar panel outside the building.
Sounds like a good plan!

Don't worry Danny smoke the second joint and everything will be alright 🙏.
When I use to live in north Europe the electricity cuts was happening very often.
The worst case was once I come back home after a day trip. I realised the light was off at time should be on and I had electricity home . There was a cut in some point and messed up my timer that I was using at that time was mechanical with no battery to keep the memory.

So it' have changed totally their light schedules and that was during 4 to 5 week of flowering .
Non-issue at all no sign of herms . So I woul not worry and let them grow but keep an eye on them .

About the mother I wouldn't worry at all .
I torture mine so much 😂😍
Many times happens I want to get read of them so I put them in flowering and after 2weeks I change my mind I want to keep them 😂so I put it back in 18/6 and then 😂😂😂 after few weeks again It might happen I change my mind again .
Never had any issues with my mother's .

But want I can say about Hermaphroditism is a survival mechanism to be triggered usually the situation needs to be threatening to the plant survival.
Based on that information and observation in my plants under different conditions, I have noticed that most of times my plants hermd was because of high temperatures or too intense light
another factor was constant light leaking inside my flower tent during dark times.
I hope this helps 🙏
Stay positive your ladies want you happy ❤️

I’ve been growing for 30 plus years and have only seen a problem if the night was interrupted, the day doesn’t seem to be an issue. Some strains aren’t bothered that much by even the night interruptions but I wouldn’t experiment 😂 really don’t sweat it and just try to maintain consistency

Leafhill

Some good advice given. Agree it is always better to verify than to project. Tho spendy, it pays to have a gas inverter as backup- if not for the sushi 🍤 and Guinness 🍺 in the fridge lol.
IME some varieties, the short maturing ones seem to catch signals quicker while the longer running ones take a while to turn. Some hybrids are just inherently unstable; mostly due to breeding. Stress testing is nonexistent with many companies these days.

mu

I've had that happen plenty of times with my current moms to no ill effect. It didn't even slow them. I think you're good. You got great advice from everyone. Just breath and stay vigilant. You've got this.
Diesel840

Many variables in your environment can lead to your plants or any becoming pollen pumpers. I think lights out for a few short periods of time is something that would be low on the list vs. Say lights turning on for a few very, very short time periods being very high on the list.

This is my opinion.

I wish you good luck.

Back