hobby breeding

my question is this

whats the best way to collect male pollen
and with the collected pollen
can you it put in a plastic bag
and then ova a lower branch
a little shake and remove

will everything become seeded ??? or will it keep jus to a lower branch ??


all the best
mr toothless
 
A good way is to collect in a bag as you suggest, but when making seeds, paint the pollen on with a small paintbrush.

An alternative way of collecting the pollen is to allow a male branch to become almost ripe, and then cut it off the place it in a glass of water sitting on a pane of glass for a couple of days, in an area seperate from the grow. Also, make sure air doesn't enter the growroom from the area that you do this in.

Apply as mentioned above.

Be safe

A
 
hi ,
a way i collect pollen is simple,but takes patience and dilligence.
1 pair of tweezers
1 envelope {paper}
1 male plant mature in full bloom.

every morning and at dusk just before the sun/light gets on/off the plant,
look for male flowers that are swollen and starting to open.
use tweezers ,
remove single male flowers and place in envelope
when sufficent flowers are collected place envelope in a cool dark calm area for a day,
next day carefully open envelope ,remove open flowers and vegetive matter.
remaining in envelope will be pollen {yellow powder}
from here you can just dust each female flower with a small model paint brush.
clean brush with alcohol between pollenations and for EVERY different male used.
you can store pollen for a fair amount of time in the fridge.
{vacum sealed is best}

good luck
scorpion
 
some great tips already, here's what i done:
once the male plant is isolated from the rest of the females, get a bamboo cane + string,
bend the main cola of the male over just past 90 degrees and tie it in place,
then i used a few empty photo frames - take the glass sheet out, then placed each sheet of glass under + as close to the flowers as possible (i used whatever i could to get them to the required height - books, boxes, anything to get the glass perfectly under the male flowers),
then it's just a case of waiting until the first flowers show signs of opening,
i use the tweezers as well to 1st tap the opened flower to collect remaining pollen, then finally pluck the used flower off, and with the tweezers give it slight taps on the glass as their will still be pollen in there,
get rid of the used flower (don't want the moisture in there killing the pollen),
to harvest in stages and collect the pollen to use for eg. in a few days, i'd put it all in a clean shot glass in stages as the pollen falls, keep the shot glass in a cool, dark area of the house until ready to use, i only kept it there for 2-3 days at most so i'm not sure how long it'll stay viable like this

peace
Herb
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, I make seeds now and then, but I don't store or collect the pollen. I keep the male separated in a non windy area, then bring the female to him. I keep her ~12' away, and I pull off 2 or 3 flowers that will open within the next ~12hrs. Then I just roll/tap the pollen onto where I want the seeds. I generally dust the top 2 or 3 lil 'sites' on a lower branch. Doing it this way on successive days usually gives me ~100-200 seeds depending on how far along the female is, and how'dusty' the male is. I do it with my fingers, rub the pollen all the hell over the spots, then wait ~an hour to hit em with a kelp spray and back in flower (when the girl is dry).

One thing that I rarely see mentioned is the length of time required for the seeds to finish. IMO, it takes 4 wks. Some a lil shorter, but I haven't seen any longer, so I give em 4 wks. I have taken them earlier, and it lead to lil white seeds, and low germ rates/slow seedlings. I count backwards~30 days from expected finish, then I pollinate. If the plant finishes a lil quick, I keep the pollinated branch on there and alive till the beans finish.
 
thanks for all the info u lot
good learnin for me as usual :o

a couple more q's
so after the pollen is on the lady
and do like b says spray on kelp it let dry
then this impregnated lady is safe to go back in with some other girls
with no contamination
keep the fans off for a while too ???


also how long can ya keep pollen
i've heard that if ya use one of them little back photo film jars
in the fridge it will keep
tis yay or nay

all the best
happy smokin
mr toothless

just an after thought
can ya do a single plant with seed on nft trays ???
or is that too much of a mission lol
 
Last edited:
Hey Mr. toofless :)

After you pollinate, wait ~an hr to spray. The point of the spray is to kill off any pollen on leaves, stems, sometimes I'll end up dropping a flower, etc... So wait till they 'take' on the pistils you want, then spray to avoid contamination. You could deffo do it that way on a hydro setup. Just shut off all of the fans, and bring the flower in the room. Like I said, the ones that are 'just about' to pop have pollen in em, but it is controllable. Once they open, it is gone with the wind. So bring a cluster that looks like it may open that day into the girls you wanna hit, wait ~1 hr, then spray the WHOLE ROOM. Then wait, and flip the fans on. Bringing a lamp or clip on light into the room would enable you to shut off the HID's when you spray.

I never tried to store pollen, but I have read that it needs to be BONE dry, and frozen in a sealed container to keep for any length of time. Again, no exp, just what I've read. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top