Growroom Never Perfected

MisterX

Hello every1! Lets get some ebay leds with textile pots and coco coir, spin around pots beneath and all that :) lets get to work, have fun yall

Tips for growers overgraawwww

finishing rooms last 1-2 weeks with extra uv lights and lowered temps to draw out those beautiful autumn rainbows :)

Been considering trying an LED Veg light from eBay for a couple months now. For around 100$ it's not a huge gamble, eh?

Stay hazed
Jake

Not all LEDs are created equal though...

From what I could gather, an LED can range from "hm, I guess a CFL could have accomplished the same..." all the way to "wow, this DOES seem like an actual alternative to an HPS !".

I would say the cheap fixtures are probably more to the side of "a CFL could have done that". Because afaik a DIY LED fixture that can compete with HPS etc. costs about 300-400 or upwards. So likely the cheaper, off-the-shelve fixtures are not really competitive.

What you get for 100 bucks now is probably that LED tech that used to cost 800-1k about 2 years ago and has since been replaced several times and is now offered at 100 bucks to get rid of leftover stock.

But I might be off-base here, I did NOT do any research into LEDs currently, just sharing what my impression on that segment of the market is up to this point.

It`s just what Broseidon said before me. There`s loads of crap out there those disco lights as example wont produce better than cfl.

Currently the LED strips are the best deal you can get

Samsung F-Series Gen.3
Samsung H-Series Gen.3
Samsung Q-Series
Bridgelux EB Strips Gen.2

or go with COB LED like Cree CXB3070, CXB3590 or Citizens 1212 these are proven leds 1,5g/Watt

heres a site with a lot info about LED

LED Gardener - Learn to Grow With LEDs

greetings

I keep recommending Growmau5 channel if anyone is interested in LEDs.

Just looked over it quickly and I'm pretty sure he not only gives great info regarding DIY projects but also the pros and cons of different systems as well as helping find a good one for yourself.

Check it out if you want more detail/info than Byorn and me can give.

Anyone serious about led lighting really needs to study..

You can find good deals but you need to know what you're looking at.

And yes, ultimately the best bang for the buck is DIY. I'm planning to build a veg light to replace my 600w MH. It will be a ladder rack with sol strips and a couple 55w cobs for mixed spectrum.

Researching still.... for months now. Lol.

Stay hazed
Jake

I will probably get a used LED that is probably pretty shite because it was bought in the time period where the crappy ones were being sold everywhere... early adopter phase etc.

No COBs that much is sure.

But I will get it used from a buddy so probably close to free.

My idea was also to replace my 400w MH veg light with it. Probably will save a bunch of wattage in the process and even if it is from the shite brigade of LEDs, it likely wont be completely terrible compared to an oldschool 400w MH.
I honestly did not notice that much advantage over using T5s/T8s for veg.
It is better/faster, thicker stems etc. but it isn't worlds apart (the MH that is).

I am definitely convinced at this point that a GOOD LED would severely outperform my 400w MH at a much lower running cost and if DIYed, it probably wouldn't even cost much more.

Hi, I made very good results with 3W LaserLEDs of the OSRAM company. Those are the best alternatives for COB LED's, and even better, because you can mix the spectrum you need. I wouldn't go with the 2W Single or Strip ones, those have a high tendency to fail early on. OSRAM did update their spectrums a lot of time. I agree with Jake, if you want a really good LED growlight which lasts for a long time without big losses of efficiency, you will need to do the research. I like it, more and more we come closer to what the Sun brings us. But it is much more than just the light, we see, it is basically Information. And this information must be read. We do it subliminally yet.

I got this cheap new LED and had over a g per watt in my last run it was my first indoor run so its preaty good i think 2.75 umol/J. they say and u can put 4 together and have 600w or 4x100w=400w or just 2 for 200-300w

Back