G13 x Afghan Skunk testers to post here.

Week 7

Taken a couple days ago. 7 weeks of flower--

g13-week7-2.jpg

g13-week7-1.jpg

#1, #5, #9, #10 in no particular order
g13-week7-3.jpg

g13-week7-4.jpg

g13-week7-5.jpg

g13-week7-6.jpg

Group shot:
g13-week7-7.jpg

All things considered, I'm really pleased with this G13xAS. The keepers are absolutely fantastic in terms of yield, resin, and aroma.

Last edited:
I suppose this is a good time to describe my growing methods. Real quick summary: organic soil with vermicompost and amendments. Just add water.

I recycled soil from that grow last year and added some new roots organic soil, fresh vermicompost, and several organic soil amendments including kelp, alfalfa, seabird guano, oyster shell, neem seed oil, crab meal (I just picked up a variety of Down to Earth brand soil amendments and mixed them in ratios I thought would be correct. Nothing too scientific going on here.) Oh, I also added a little bit of humic acid. I was unable to cook the soil for very long before using it on the G13 but that did not seem to matter. I think the plants were able to take up the nutrients that they needed to, though probably the soil mix was a little bit too hot.

Also due to bad planning on my part, the G13 are currently in 1 gallon fabric pots that were transplanted into 5 gallon plastic containers. Normally I would prefer to skip the fabric pot but I didn't have enough containers of the right size for what I needed to do. I'm not sure this slowed the plants down or reduced yield but it is probably not best. Next time I will plan better. Also next time I won't have to worry about clones as much so should have less to juggle next time.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing BB! The 2 females I got out of 9 germinated plants are doing well smelling of burnt rubber, skunk and over ripe fruit. They are 2 weeks into flower. Just like last time, the discarded males (7) on the compost pile are thriving in the intermittent rain. A beautiful thing as they glisten in the sunshine. I dream of having more space to be more creative in. I would have loved to do an open pollination with this variety as the medicine is there. I'll do pics of the newer G13's when they fill out a little more. For now, some pics of #8.

g13 #8 4_6.jpgg13 #8 4_6b.jpg

g13 #8 4_6c.jpg
G13/AfSk #8

Shaka
Mu

Last edited:
Aloha fellow travelers
Here are a few pics of G13/AfSk #1, #2. At 2.5 weeks of flower, they are just now starting to trich up. One thing I will say about this variety, they do get white and quite sticky as they continue to mature.

It is interesting to observe what appears to be more hermaphroditism with the other G13 hybrids in the test groups. While I have had one in my last grow with this trait expression, it has been inconsequential. IME, stress in any form causes more males to originate from seed. Beginning higher temperatures and low humidity will cause hermaphroditism. Higher levels of potassium in the beginning as well as red light also influence this condition toward male expression. IMHO, in germination and veg; start with blue light, higher humidity, lower temperatures if you can. Anecdotally, I have observed more females present closer to my humidifier. Could it be the cooler, moister air that results in more females? If you grow indoors, you definitely need a humidifier at the outset as well as a dehumidifier to finish. And, don’t even get me started on fem seeds and their inherent intersex problems. I don’t use them no matter how appealing they might seem. Environment is everything after good quality seed.

This particular hybrid does have medicinal value and IMO is worth the continued look-see. The two large #8 mothers will be turned into RSO to see how well they perform as oil. I can’t wait to see how these two new G13 plants come out.

g13 #1.jpgg13 #1 close.jpg
G13/AfSk #1

g13 #2.jpgg13 #2 close.jpg
G13/AfSk #2

Shaka
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!
Just wanted to post a few pics this morning. Everything humming along so far. The room is filling up and I remain vigilant to ventilation, temps and humidity. The girls are getting thirsty at this stage and starting to plump up. Not as fragrant as the NL5/Af but smelling of bicycle tire glue. Looking forward to these two new girls complimenting their #8 sister.

g13xAfSkb.jpg

g13xAfSKa.jpg
G13/AfSk #1 and #2

Aloha
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!

I have some additional thoughts that began in thread #206-
My understanding is that late in veg, several weeks before calyx development; this is the time that is most critical with regards to plants expressing sex. If there is stress during this time, the probability of expression of males and hermaphrodites increases. Forcing plants with light change coupled with high temperatures before they are mature in their expression may alter sex from potential females to males.
(As an aside, my last germination yielded 2/9 females. Come to find out I did not change my bulbs after my last grow and started with both HPS instead of the Blue light I typically start with. Humidity was low also. More males (7). Hmmm.)
Back to topic- if there are other stressors during this time, then fewer females will express. As I recall, this information as well as earlier information I shared came from Dutch Passion circa late 90’s as a disclaimer to their Feminized Seeds which were originally sold as Female Seeds until hermaphrodites and males starting showing up in their seed lots which were originally sold as “Female Seeds.”
My thinking is that if you now take a plant that has epigenetically adapted to its environment for many years and either self it or radically change its environment, i.e. stress it, one may get the sensitivity that may be occurring as mentioned in the G13/Widow thread. This is just a guess as I am a grower of Cannabis, but I am no expert on this subject. What I do know is that Cannabis is highly adaptable and that the plant itself has survived many of my mistakes over the years.
Feel free, experts, to chime in.

G13/AfSk's going on week 4

G13AfSk #8.jpg
G13/AfSK #8
G13AfSk #1.jpg
G13/AfSk #1
G13AfSk #2.jpg
G13/AfSk #2

Damn, the Stanley Cup playoffs have been exciting eh?

Aloha
Mu

Harvested at about 9.5 weeks, ~65-67 days. This was a pheno hunt so I tried to have identical conditions for all the girls. The only training I did was snipping of lower growth before flowering. I was far more concerned with getting everything done on time than with yields. I will run two or three of these one more time, discarding the rest. #3 and #7 were my standouts in terms of aroma or yield.

First up, my favorite plant, #3. This one smells like FRUITY PEBBLES, the cereal. Very sweet and berry-like. I don't know if that is from the G13 or the Aghan x Skunk. Also this plant had PINK PISTILS at the end of flower. I had forgotten to snap the picture before chopping, so this photo is a little different than the others.
G13-harvest-1.jpg

another
G13-harvest-2.jpg

two photos of one plant:
G13-harvest-3.jpg

G13-harvest-4.jpg

two photos of another plant:
G13-harvest-5.jpg

G13-harvest-6.jpg

another
G13-harvest-7.jpg

#7 fantastic yield. the aroma is not sweet like #3 though..
G13-harvest-8.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellow travelers!
Been a while. Busy in the regular garden as well as puttin' on my traveling shoes. With cabin fever sittin' in, it was good hanging out in the Rockies for a change. Warm weather and spring flowers accompanied by the occasional snow storm. The power of nature overwhelms me sometimes. Hope everyone is happy in their lives. While there is nothing I can do about that, you might be able to, lol.
6 weeks as of today, I've got nothing to complain about. The G13/AfSk's are doing well and plumping up. An easy plant to accomodate, the strain is forgiving. I love the confirmation of the plant as well as the aromas; a plant that will have a place in my garden for a long time.

g13AfSkc 1.jpgg13AfSkb 1.jpgg13AfSkd 1.jpgg13AfSka 1.jpg
G13/AfSk #1, #2

g13AfSk8a 1.jpgg13AfSk8b 1.jpg
G13/AfSk #8

Aloha
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!

@Marcus thanks for the bless up brah!

Well the room is filling up and everyone is strugglng to get that last bit of light. I'll start cleaning up dead leaves and some bottom fan leaves and branches. Why, some of those tiny popcorn balls just might end up in my morning shake lol! Increase light and air circulation, not a bad idea at this time eh

g13afsk1a.jpgg13afsk1b.jpg
G13/AfSk #1

g13afsk2a.jpgg13afsk2b.jpg
G13/AfSk #2

#1 being a bit lankier. I am looking forward to her sweet, uplifting smoke.

Aloha
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!
It’s early in the morning here and the obligatory G13 smoke sets off the J. Joyce stream of consciousness thing and the next thing I know I’m doing the neutral connection dance. More like a warm, tingly grand mal lol. It started with me reading that on May 6, 1937, the German airship LZ129 Hindenburg had a bit of an accident upon landing in New Jersey, USA.

hindenburg before.jpgHindenburg hit.jpg
From tragedy comes…

led zeppelin cover.jpgledzeppelin.jpg
The seminal R&R band

One thing usually leads to another; I cued up the CD.
"Dazed and Confused", "I Can’t Quit You Baby", "How Many More Times", "You Shook Me", and in several more weeks, "Your Time Is Gonna Come".
Great music to listen to while working in the garden this morning.
Have a great day braddahs!

g13afsk1a 15.jpgg13afsk1b 15.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk #1

g13afsk2a 15.jpgg13afsk2b 15.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk #2

g13afsk8a 15.jpgg13afsk8b 15.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk #8

Aloha
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!
Nine weeks today and there is more color in the room! Any day now, right? Last time I ran out the G13's 10 weeks plus. I will probably harvest in the next 4-5 days I'm guessing. I look forward to sampling these new plants. It's all good braddahs!

g13afsk1a 22.jpgg13afsk1b 22.jpgg13afsk1c 22.jpgg13afsk1d 22.jpg
G13AfSk #1

g13afsk2a 22.jpgg13afsk2b 22.jpgg13afsk2c 22.jpgg13afsk2d 22.jpg
G13AfSk #2

g13afsk8a 22.jpgg13afsk8b 22.jpgg13afsk8c 22.jpgg13afsk8d 22.jpg
G13AfSk #8

Shaka
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!
Been busy transitioning as I am sure many of you are at this time of the year. The influx of different birds and insects. Different sounds and earlier mornings. Great time of year before tourist season changes the vibration. I like these semi-quiet mornings before the bustle.

g13afsk1a 30.jpgg13afsk1b 30.jpgg13afsk1c 30.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk #1

g13afsk2a 30.jpgg13afsk2b 30.jpgg13afsk2c 30.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk #2

Shaka
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!

Everything is finally jarred up and the curing begins! The G13/AS yielded just under 3 oz/plant, better than NL5/Afghan which came in just over 2 oz/plant. The G13 are more aromatic than the NL5/Afg with inhales of #1 tasting of Halls cough drops. We will see how they change over the coming weeks. They are not as sedating as the NL5/Afg, just a really nice high coupled with the appealing smells. #1 will go by the wayside with yields 75% less than the other two plants. #2 and #8 will be run again alongside the NL5/Afg one more time before I go back to sativa growing this fall/winter. Good stuff and certainly worth a try if it ever comes to market.

g13g 16.jpg
G13/Afghan Skunk

Shaka
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!

These G13’s were flowered for 73 days. Hung to dry for 2.5 weeks in temp/humidity controlled room before bottling. It has been close to 2 weeks now since the G13/AfSk was bottled. Time for a peek.

G13/AfSk #2 has a slight mint and basel aroma.
g13afsk2a 30.jpgg13afsk2b 30.jpg
The delicious smoke wraps around my head leaving good musical connection with visual being two-dimensional at times. Relaxing with some initial energy eventually leading to lethargy. Pain? Fuhgeddaboudit! It is out of mind. No gastric hyperactivity from the 2 times I’ve smoked it. She is a nice relaxing smoke with decent yield. This is the one I decided to keep alongside the #8.

But I was most interested in the G13/AfSk #1.
g13afsk1a 30.jpgg13afsk1b 30.jpg
I spoke of her earlier- with her speared top and her sparse demeanor. I was attracted to her early on as she exhibited a different stature compared to the other girls. Yield was a detractor and so she was put in the to-go pile. Citrus, moss, pine aromas. Well, smoked half a "j" last night and yes indeed, she is my 20 min girl. I was unconscious within 30 minutes for sure! I woke up on the couch 3 hours later TV on, once again.

I met that girl right up at my show
Left her man in the crowd on the floor
Out of town, never saw her before
Told her, "Baby, we don't got that long"​

I guess that’s what I don’t like about most Indicas, they fatigue me and make me go to sleep when I really would like to stay awake and play. Whatever, I found myself quickly retrieving the G13 #1 clones this morning lol! IMO, worthwhile looking through this variety!

Shaka
Mu

Hi everyone, when SB first posted the list of members chosen as testers for the G13 crosses I was going through divorce and the shit that goes with it and I had to opt out of the G13 adventures. I sent Shanti a PM explaining my situation and he's a NICE guy and he sent me some beans anyway. Now I'm back on my feet and in a new home and I have 4 G13xAfSk females 3 weeks into flower and all are looking& smelling great. 1 is looking extremely frosty for only 3weeks into bud. I have taken photos and will take more until its done but I don't have a PC at the moment and can't upload them til I get one.

Hey Sundog! Glad to hear you are back in the saddle! Shanti indeed is a gentleman and seems to follow the Golden Rule of which I am a firm believer- he has always been helpful and responsive. I am excited to see what you come up with as you search through these pungent, flavorful plants. I have yet to make oil from this G13 hybrid but am confident that it will yield medical benefits. Good luck and good hunting!

Shaka
Mu

Aloha fellow travelers!

Hey braddahs, hoping to find you all happy in your lives! I just wanted to drop a line and give a short update.
Firstly, I wanted to express my gratitude to Shanti for allowing me to test this variety. It has been a pleasure. The G13/AfgSk was easy to grow and proved to be a good smoke. Uplifting while relaxing, good pain relief, good flavor with intriguing smells- very rich.
As always, I could have planned better. That first batch yielded few plants due to not being attentive. Too many irons in the fire lol (love my new kayak!) Shanti was kind enough to send me a second set so that I have a decent population to work with.
The yield was decent on the first go. I got better results on the second by increasing veg time. Because it was a new as-yet-to-be-marketed product, I was tickled every moring to enter the room to see what changes might of occured in the last 24. They certainly frosted up as you can see from the pictures. I would like to get back to this plant at a later date as I feel it is worthwhile to continue discovery.
In the meantime, I have been enjoying the smoke well enough that I may not have enough for oil lol. And you know what? That's okay. As they say on the big island; ono- delicious!

Shaka
Mu

Hey Mushashi. Mine are coming along NICEly. 2 are looking magnificent whereas other 2 look average. They all smell very good although one of the better 2 plants smell just like a sewer. It stinks like a fully ripe turd but has berry undertones. Looks great but the stench of poo isn't very appealing but I'm still looking forward to smoking it....I hope it doesn't taste like it smells,lol. Im not sure what week I'm at without checking calendar but they should all be done within another 2weeks. I still have no computer to upload photos ATM. I also have one CBD Nordle in the tent also which is looking great
Chow for now.
Sundog

I forgot to mention the biggest plant with chunkiest most resinous flowers has purple& pink hues coming through.

Back