Dementia and Cannabis

Singingwolf

I could use some help. I have a 70-year-old male client with dementia. He won't remember anything from the prior week. Some days when we interact he is in a good space and other days he is just anxious, angry, frustrated, confused, (and a real ace..) all of those things that you would get when you can't remember and wondered what happened to everything you had. Last week stopped off at a dispensary and picked him up a pre-made and it really helped. This week picked up something and it wasn't very good or helpful. His daughter will grow whatever is best. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestion on what strain base or any other knowledge on dementia and a good smoke. Don't want him falling asleep when I have him but definitely in a better headspace. Thank you ahead of time.

Report •••

I could use some help. I have a 70-year-old male client with dementia. He won't remember anything from the prior week. Some days when we interact he is in a good space and other days he is just anxious, angry, frustrated, confused, (and a real ace..) all of those things that you would get when you can't remember and wondered what happened to everything you had. Last week stopped off at a dispensary and picked him up a pre-made and it really helped. This week picked up something and it wasn't very good or helpful. His daughter will grow whatever is best. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestion on what strain base or any other knowledge on dementia and a good smoke. Don't want him falling asleep when I have him but definitely in a better headspace. Thank you ahead of time.

Report •••

Read the strain descriptions under the strains tab at the top of this page.

The people that made the strains are the best people to ask.

Did you get the name of the strain that did work by any chance?

That would be useful information.

Other than that keep going back to the dispensary until you find another one that works.

I am sure the staff will be helpful.

Once you have done that you can come back here with the name.

Then someone here might be able to point you in the direction of a Mr Nice strain that is similar.

Hi there Singingwolf,

I would recommend 2 Mr. Nice strains:

1.) Medicine Man
2.) CBD Ghandi

Medicine Man is a high CBD strain with THC and CBD Ghandi is a high CBD strain without THC. Grow both and experiment mixing them both together at different ratios, in pre-rolls, to find which blend works best for him.

Some blends I would try are:

1. 100% Med Man Only
2. 50% Med Man - 50% CBD Ghandi
3. 2/3 Med Man - 1/3 CBD Ghandi
4. 2/3 CBD Ghandi - 1/3 Med Man
5. 100% CBD Ghandi Only

Cheers! - FF

Last edited:
I believe it is Blueberry Octane from Chalice Farms. Indica 24.15 Thc, .08 CBD I do not know what he bought the second time. I have only used MNS products for years so that is why I convinced his daughter to use these products. They are the best. He uses no dementia meds and she agrees this is the best management. Any information is priceless. If anyone has used this medicine for these reasons, I am sharing with his daughter..

Hi there Singingwolf,

I would recommend 2 Mr. Nice strains:

1.) Medicine Man
2.) CBD Ghandi

Medicine Man is a high CBD strain with THC and CBD Ghandi is a high CBD strain without THC. Grow both and experiment mixing them both together at different ratios, in pre-rolls, to find which recipe works best for him.

Cheers! - FF
Med man is my favorite. I mainly use it. I believe the combination of thc and cbd is the best. I haven't worked with many dementia clients let alone with family encouraging smoking..Thank you

I believe it is Blueberry Octane from Chalice Farms. Indica 24.15 Thc, .08 CBD

Yes, indica dominant strains will work best for him. More calming & relaxing. Med Man is 70% indica. Another cannabinoid that helps reduce anxiety, ease depression and enhance concentration is CBG, which is also found in Med Man.

"Another chemical in cannabis plants that have proven medical benefits similar to CBD is called cannabigerol, or CBG. CBG comes from young marijuana plants and, like CBD, does not give users a high feeling. CBG may be useful for treating a specific type of dementia called Huntington’s disease." Quoted from:

CBD (Cannabidiol) as Medication for Dementia

I'd try some high CBG gummies if you can find them at a dispensary in your area, or online; to test it's effect on him. - FF

Last edited:
I haven't worked with many dementia clients let alone with family encouraging smoking.

Here's the link to a YouTube channel that may interest you:

dsalnorcal
https://youtube.com/@dsalnorcal1434?si=qh9TmWsNyZDP8Qlq

The name deciphered is Dan Salinger Northern California. It's an ongoing saga of a 92 yr old, former foot doctor, with dementia, living with his family, who chronicle his journey & theirs together. The son, a semi-retired attorney, is a regular toker but that gets very little exposure on the channel.

All the best! - FF

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with Freedom Fighter, a blend is the best coarse of action imo.. it gives you a multitude of avenues to try out..
It maybe difficult to dial in the dosage due to the patients changeable mental state, perhaps it's worth looking into blueberry lines, as he has responded to them before, i know i personally find them soothing with a smooth soft high..

Wishing you all the best...

dsalnorcal

The name deciphered is Dan Salinger Northern California. It's an ongoing saga of a 92 yr old, former foot doctor, with dementia, living with his family, who chronicle his journey & theirs together. The son, a semi-retired attorney, is a regular toker but that gets very little exposure on the channel.

All the best! - FF
Thank you thank you for the links. I will forward them to Angelee. She mentioned she or her husband will look into purchasing seeds. Not sure they will do multiple strains but I will suggest Medicine Man. (My favorite) as I know it works well. You Rock.

I couldn't agree more with Freedom Fighter, a blend is the best coarse of action imo.. it gives you a multitude of avenues to try out..
It maybe difficult to dial in the dosage due to the patients changeable mental state, perhaps it's worth looking into blueberry lines, as he has responded to them before, i know i personally find them soothing with a smooth soft high..

Wishing you all the best...
Thank you. I really want to not go into dispensaries because I don't necessarily trust the products. I know MNS products are good and quality. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

dsalnorcal

All the best! - FF
Great videos. Thank you.. Everything he knew is in Kansas. He is now in Washington state. And the agitation, frustration and loss is real. I'm hoping that with this help the family can help him to maneuver now.

My advice would be the Dreamtime mix

Very good value for money and the chance of finding something special at a reduced price.

Covers alot of ground genetically as well.

There is a small caveat, it can be frustrating not knowing the name of the strain that you have fallen in love with.

Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
Hey Singingwolf
My dear Grandmother got dementia in her later years. They get so muddled up, but in spending time with her I had this gut feeling that if she could have medicated with some cannabis, it would slow her quick thinking muddled up mind a little to make some more sense of what shes processing in her head.
Be strong, and be there no matter what my friend. Dementia can cause a patient to say some pretty out there stuff, much of it for my Gran seemed to stem from past and present traumas etc.

All contributors to this thread have given sound advice.

My advice:
Dont narrow your search to a single strain, tolerance can build quick depending on both the phenotype of the strain, and the individuals body and mind at the time. Each day could be different.
I feel like indica dominant is the right path you are taking already.

Try micro doses. Giving the patient what might only be one or two puffs, and then seeing in time whether more could help, be patient and take it slow in figuring this out.

Give your patient good company that does not get held up on anything blurted out. Provide a nice relaxing engaging high vibe with him. And enjoy connecting on a personal level. Enhance his environment so cannabis is like a nice chilled out and fun cherry on top.

Blessings to you 🙏

Try micro doses. Giving the patient what might only be one or two puffs, and then seeing in time whether more could help, be patient and take it slow in figuring this out.
I have someone close to me who is in the early stages. This advice applies perfectly to them. Like they said, body chemistry plays a huge roll, so try a few strains. We're all here for you my friend. Let us know how it works out.

Diesel840

Hey Singingwolf
My dear Grandmother got dementia in her later years. They get so muddled up, but in spending time with her I had this gut feeling that if she could have medicated with some cannabis, it would slow her quick thinking muddled up mind a little to make some more sense of what shes processing in her head.
Be strong, and be there no matter what my friend. Dementia can cause a patient to say some pretty out there stuff, much of it for my Gran seemed to stem from past and present traumas etc.

All contributors to this thread have given sound advice.

My advice:
Dont narrow your search to a single strain, tolerance can build quick depending on both the phenotype of the strain, and the individuals body and mind at the time. Each day could be different.
I feel like indica dominant is the right path you are taking already.

Give your patient good company that does not get held up on anything blurted out. Provide a nice relaxing engaging high vibe with him. And enjoy connecting on a personal level. Enhance his environment so cannabis is like a nice chilled out and fun cherry on top.

Blessings to you 🙏

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to try something a little different tomorrow with him and bring my own medicine man to see if that will help only if needed. I play each day out as to what I pick up from him and his behaviors. I thought about bringing some tincture but I don't know if he would be receptive to that. I know his daughter is very interested to see what will happen and is thankful that I'm willing to work with them both on this. I've taken him to see sights and people that he has met in the past out here and then I always tend to try to take him places that keep his mind working. I really believe that consistently having something with me will be helpful. Thank you again for your advices and help. Blessings

So I must say thank you. I took my Monday client out for a road trip like usual and he started getting agitated. We were heading towards the beach but following a Waterway so we pulled over and I pulled out some yummy goodness. I didn't grab the medicine man I grabbed the Northern Lights Widow combination. He took a couple of hits and life was good. We furthered on towards the beach where we pulled off to go look at a waterway. He had a couple of more hits and stood at the end of a boat dock and started singing his favorite karaoke songs. And as we were walking back to my car he looked at me and said very loudly "this is the best trip ever." Haha. He even went for a hike up a very tall Lookout. Told his daughter I like that cousin let's do it again. Well onward and upward. Life rocks. I found the sweet spot.

Back