couple of breeding questions

dwc225

Member
well, i was just thinkin bout devoting a closet or maybe more to making seeds... as my main crop must be sensi.
so it sounds perfect except im wondering something that could basically make it pointless; can the pollen i douse the female with become airborne again or even fall and impregnate another plant? if i dont know what is what its really pointless to me. id be collecting pollen from another place so live males arent the problem, but if every female has a certain pollen on it, is it realistic to think that they wont be safe from crossing to other males?
i could swear i remember reading about a "trash bag" method of sorts(tieing a trashbag on the branch, or maybe its the male sorry i really dont know), and if im not mistaken maybe i read shanti speak of it somewhere, but i dont really get it and dont remember fully what it does. but any light that could be shed on ensuring pollen stays put on the choice female when theres x number of other pollenated females close by would be very helpful.
 
The pollen will escape at pollinate at least some of your other flowers.

Why don't you just buy F1 seed of Shanti? He is a better breeder than you, no doubt. You will plant 50 of your seeds to find a good plant, or 10 of Shanti's. Why bother?

Good Luck

GS
 
One method I have used is - collect some pollen and put in a bag, then remove the female from the room and carefully put the bag over a branch, tie it and give it a couple of shakes (I usually bend the branch down so the bag stays upright until tied). Then I spray the whole plant with water, which is supposed to kill stray pollen (?) and leave it for 1-2 days with the bag on, then remove the bag and spray the branch. If you can, keep it separate for the 2 days, but not essential if you are careful.

I leave seed plants under 12/12 until they are very mature (longer than I leave bud), then cut and hang the branches, with all leaves on, for 3 weeks after which time the seeds are big, dark and pop out nicely.

You can pollinate one female with several different pollens if you are careful.

I did about 12 crosses last year using SSH, BW, NHS, Devil and Kali Mist crossed with DJ Blueberry and Bubblegum.
 
Last edited:
yes zigzag i must agree with your last statement...
grower sativa im sorry u have that kinda attitude i really dont know how to answer that because yes u can argue that but its like saying van halen already dominated guitar so why even try and pick one up and learn for yourself? or only read one authors books because hes dominated writing and u shouldnt try and write something urself. i enjoy life and enjoy learning and doing things for myself. and I also have many projects in mind that mind be pointless to shanti but still none the less important to me. one mans trash is another mans treasure. if u cant understand why i would want to do it for myself to learn for myself sorry theres really no other way to explain it to ya. thanks for ur concern.

dogstar i really appreciate u lettin me know about that method thats what i was thinkin about. water sounds like a great idea also as well as a day or two separated. i do have a question about the female u pollenated with different fathers(i know this can be done either using one branch for father x one branch for father y and so on and so one, and then cubing as well... which takes a little bit of selection but theres way more possibility but ur fucked if u ever wanna make the seeds again, tho then u could backcross)
did u have alot of different crosses that u wernt sure of? of did the female u pollenate produce uniform seeds from each cross easily and not produce randoms? any info would be greatly appreciated bro. how did the crosses come out btw? they sound killer love blueberry and of course mns. legends has a blueberry from dj and nevs haze that ive been drooling over for a while now.
zigzag again thanks for the encouragement and all the info. id definitely want to make as many as possible for future selection. have u pollenated a female alot before? or do u just go with 10-20(which i understand u can still get a good amount of the plant to stay sensi and worth something if ur careful)? thanks for the help bro.
dogstar id like to ask u this question to if ur reading this far.

anyone else wanting to add any info please be my guest the more the better. and of course any pics would be great.
thanks everyone. keep growin.
overgro_
 
Dee-Dub - I do it like zigzag does it. I take out individual females to pollinate. I'll grab the 'drizzling male flowers' between thumb and middle finger, and 'tappa-tappa-tappa' the pollen out over top of the budsite I'm trying to pollinate. Sort of like ashing a cigar. Once I can see the pollen on the female (or at least the hairs are all smashed up), I leave her alone for ~an hour, give her a weak kelp spray (try to limit stray/unwanted pollen), then back in flower. I try to pollinate on at least 2 separate occasions if I'm making seeds.

Yo, making seeds and growing them out adds a wholenother level of 'addictiveness' and 'learning' to growing bud :D I TREASURE some of my crosses, and some I could give a shit about.
 
Hi,

I haven't grown out many yet as I have a roomful, but the SSH x Blueberry cross I made has been a very vigorous plant that tastes of earthy BB and haze, and is very very strong. Last year I tried some auto seeds I'd made, but won't bother next year.

You can simplify things by having several female strains in the room but only use one male to pollinate. If you pollinate the lower branches early in flower the rest of the plant will be sensi.

Here's some seeds I made last year and the year before. e2a. I'm looking forward to the BBxBW and Bubblegum x Kali Mist.
 

Attachments

  • seeds1.jpg
    seeds1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 15
  • seeds2.jpg
    seeds2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
thanks patrick star for the info bro. and i hear ya about it becoming more addicting lol.

dogstar, lookin very nice man. those ak cross seeds are huge. looks like uve got some great seeds for selection there my friend. with the sshxbb did u find any blue(ish) phenos at all? i hate to keep askin for pics but if u had a pic of that plant in budding itd be a real treat lol. and yes im sure the bbxbw will b amazing, as will the bubblegumxkali mist im a big fan of serious as well so. have u smoked the kali mist from the early 90s? compared to now? ive seen alot of discussion on this and from what i read kali mist's parents were changed and people werent likin it so they changed the p1s back to the originals. also if uve ever worked with white rhino id be intrigued to hear any info ud might like to share.
thanks everyone for the help and keep the info comin.
 
Great stuff guys im new to breeding and been doing a bit of research,ive done a few crosses with f1's.Does any of you bother making f2 f3 f4 or f5's to limit diversity or you guy's crossing f1's like me,i recently crossed f1mango haze male to my chocolope female but aint done any tests yet,
I'm going to cross my best f1afgan haze male to my best f1afgan haze female to find great f2's and hopefully cross them to find a great male or female to cross with, but this is going to take a couple of years im sure.As for breeding i cross when my females are about 5weeks in to flower remove them from the room shake some pollen on them, let them stand 24hours then return them to the flowering room away from blowing fans,pollen seems not to spreadlike this, good luck

ps really interested to no if you guys are using f1 in your final cross,apart from strains that breed true like the bubblegum...happy growing
 
I'm just tossing pollen :D

Ideally, I'd like to inbreed a few generations of a few different crosses, then outcross individuals looking for quality combinations.

From what I've seen, 90%+ of the crosses I've done (from either polyhybrid, or stable hybrid, or recombination parent stock) seem to stay inbetween the 2 parents in most aspects of growth and smoke. I have yet to 'unlock' something that is just drastically different than the parent plants.

It seems like I am at the mercy of just 'hoping' for quality male/female combinations due to my lack of space. There is no way to breed indoors w/o at least 1k+++ for veg, IMO. Even then, you have to flower 100's of seedplants... I have found that 1 of my crosses very consistiently produces killer, vigorus plants. The other crosses that I've done (none to the extent of the ssh x spice) seem to produce some quality plants, and some 'different' plants (leafy, strange growth in flower, airy buds, weak growth, etc...). I chalk it up to stumbling over a quality cross (individual male and individual female).
 
dwc - sorry I haven't got any pics of the SSHxBB, but will get some next time. It has sativa leaves with the purple stems and blue-green leaf colour of BB.

My Kali Mist seeds were the year before last, and I had 4 or 5 very distinct phenos from 7 females, some buds open and fluffy, some fairly tight. There was also a lot of variation in growth pattern, leaf edge and shape. I didn't find anything with the kick of SSH so didn't keep any after 3 grows (and some crossing).
 
hey pluko well up to now i didnt worry about makin my own seeds, ive now become very taken with all the possibilities. but yes, when i do find a cross i like i will def be down to take it to an f5 generation, breeding for different characteristics i like. but i think there is somthing to be said about wat patrick star was saying, taking two completely f1s or landraces or whatever and crossing them to find a quality cross. of course there is backcrossing to get a clone only strain but besides this i dont really know whats left in the breeding world of cannabis? lol. i like getting the f1s from companies like shanti where there is alot of selection... and an f5 ca be drastically different than those f1s.


patrick, i hear ya man it really is about gettin lucky and havin that special one come out. look at cheese and c99... if u dont mind me asking what are a few crosses uve come up with that u like? i read in some dj short article he was really impressed with crosses that had a sativa mother and a indica father, and with alot of his stuff the same didnt hold true for the indica mother and sativa father crosses. im not saying something potentially amazing couldnt come from any combination, just a thought to remember... im thinkin about doing it both ways for whatever i make and that way i can choose my favorite cross of the two.

dogstar, its all good bro, god she sounds beautiful, ive got some blueberry going right now hopefully ill find some good moms and pops for the future.
ya ive heard so-so things about kali mist. i was thinkin about ordering some here, and while i of course want to try it and probably even run it, i was really thinking id want to keep a mom and possibly a pop for future crosses. but the general consensus doesnt seem so good....
have you worked with any other strains from simon?
and btw, i saw u have the nhs test grow on ur replies... could u give me a little info on the strain im really thinkin about gettin some but wondering if i should just wait a little while longer when other legit nl crosses will be available.
 
Hi,

I've grown Bubblegum and have some Chronic from seed in early flower. The bubblegum was tasty and I grew a couple of crops then made some crosses.

One of the plants I have been trying to re-locate is a DP blueberry I grew in 1999/2000 and for several years after. The current DP strain doesn't seem the same to me and the DJ 'original' strain was quite earthy and more mellow than the one I used to have. So I crossed the DP version with the DJ Short version and made a couple of hundred seeds last year to play with. I'm hoping to get a wider pheno spread then by crossing to the same seedbank, although they share most of their genetics.

NHS is a bit similar to a skunky SSH pheno and is a nice smoke, but can be prone to hermies if your room is not 100% dark, which happened to a couple of mine. They do quite well outdoors.

I have a favorite SSH mother and I tend to compare everything a bit unfavorably to that.
 
damn dude... an old school dp blueberry and djs current version. i hope u find something special and hold on to that fucker! dj has been putting alot of old school genetic clones of the blue berry and other stuff, as well as some clones of some choice fathers and some pollen of the fathers that made blue satellite 1 and 1.1 and a couple others i cant remember, along the pacific coast really(but mostly cali, and med circles in oregon and washington), and im really hopin to get my hands on some.
sorry for all the questions but then ur saying there was a time when dutch passion wasnt looked down upon for inferior genetics? just trying to get the story straight here cuz ive heard alota bad things and mainly theyre f2s and what not... i do know however dj did work with them for a time, which is why they have moonshine and blueberry and flo... but from what i read from him the outcome was he left feeling bitter.
either way im a big fan of djs stuff, and hope to find a killer pheno to hold on to here soon.
what did u think about the chronic? i mean im sure it doesnt compare to that killer ssh pheno but worth trying?
and speakin of a killer ssh pheno... i was under the impression it took alot more time to flower... but was reading up on it and it was saying 8-10 weeks... which im psyched about because i can add this into my perpetual. how long does ur choice pheno take to flower?
sorry for all the questions man, but im very thankful there are such knowledgeable growers here to inform me, and really appreciate everyone whos been helpful.
overgro_
 
Easy bro i personally popped 2 packs of chronic and i can tell you it is a serious strain,i can only speak about my own experiances, the main prob with chronic is botrytis so if your rh is above 55-60% be very careful.There is a pheno in there dosent form colas ,but ratherforms a bit of space between buds this is a great pheno to look for,there can also be a tendency for this strain to taste like celery i personally avoid these pheno like the plauge good luck:D
 
overgro_,

DJS supplied 50 seeds to DP in the 90s, but didn't have any hand in the selection from there on (his own words, I can't find the quote), and he sometimes sounds a bit sniffy about things but I guess that is because he didn't think the license the blueberry somehow and has watched a small fortune swim by. The DP seeds were similar genetically to 'True Blueberry' rather than the 'original' I grew from DJS. DJ then continued to develop the blueberry lines. Actually there is a big thread on Blueberry by Jesse on this forum.

I also guess that DP buggered up somewhere and lost one or other of the 1998/99 parents that I grew seed from, so made another selection.

I reckon blueberry is such a distinctive flavour and taste that it will always be evident in a cross, but the particular effect I am after is more elusive.
 
Back
Top