Best storage temps-Is colder better

Basically, though some models have dehumidifier features built in.

As I don't drink wine, I would have guessed a humidifier. Why does wine need a de-humidifier? Actually, I used to drink Boone's Farm wine but just for the side effects. Curious about the Physics of needing a de-humidifier though! Please explain.

Longball

As I don't drink wine, I would have guessed a humidifier. Why does wine need a de-humidifier? Actually, I used to drink Boone's Farm wine but just for the side effects. Curious about the Physics of needing a de-humidifier though! Please explain
Too little or too much humidity will degrade the cork allowing oxygen to creep in and ruin the aging process of the wine. Thoughtfully designed wine coolers take this into account by adding a dehumidiefier to facilitate dialing in on a preferred humidity range.

Many people reccomend curing and storing canabis in cellars with similar humidity and temps to a wine cellar. A half-decent wine cooler would give the same environment in a small easily hidden footprint. In addition, most wine coolers have tinted, UV proof glass doors for easy viewing without degrading the flowers from light exposure. So, there is no need to discard clear glass jars in lieu of amber bottles.

Just a thought.
Diesel840

Too funny. What did OG's preoccupy their thoughts with back in the day before curing, bottles, burying the s*t, humidity packs, designer rolling papers and wine coolers when they didn't have any of these modern devices? Chelum+Herb+Tobacco maybe. Didn't need battery power, papers or bics just a coal from the fire. IMO, all this other stuff just gets in the way TBH. As long as it doesn't spoil/mold I'm good. Most of the time after a few puffs, I could give a s*t about all the minutia. K, where's that coke can I just set down? LOL

circa 1970
cokecan.jpg

mu

I don’t use RH packs for the final curing or storage.
I use RH packs when I am in the final stages of drying to prevent over drying and reaching a constant RH before the final cure.
A clothes iron will heat seal a Mylar bag and it’ll be air,moisture and light tight.
The bags can be resealed if opened.I use them for getting out the last bit of moisture before sealing them for long term cure.
The bags are not expensive,don’t shatter if dropped,can be put under water, and come in many sizes.

I cure/age tobacco and I have some over 15 years old and 60/60 works. I have smoked some 25 year old virginia tobacco and it’s well worth the wait.Aged cigars are even better but can cost a fortune.

I can’t prove cannabis ages like tobacco but I think it’s a very similar process.

Last edited:
Too little or too much humidity will degrade the cork allowing oxygen to creep in and ruin the aging process of the wine. Thoughtfully designed wine coolers take this into account by adding a dehumidiefier to facilitate dialing in on a preferred humidity range.

Oooooh, so that's why these corks went bad!?

Ten-Broeck-Mansion-Wine-Club-Albany-New-York-3.jpg

We found a stash of 500 bottles of 1860-1878 Mouton-Rothschild wine. We drank a number of cases(with good corks) before TPTB found out about our caper and confiscated the wine. They sold the wine at auction for thousands a bottle. Most of the bottles had gone bad. We drank most of the good ones and about 15 good bottles were left. For some reason, they thought they were the first to discover the stash. Wrong! Those 15 bottles raised over $100,000 at auction.

mouton.jpg

Longball

We found a stash of 500 bottles of 1860-1878 Mouton-Rothschild wine. We drank a number of cases(with good corks) before TPTB found out about our caper and confiscated the wine. They sold the wine at auction for thousands a bottle. Most of the bottles had gone bad. We drank most of the good ones and about 15 good bottles were left. For some reason, they thought they were the first to discover the stash. Wrong! Those 15 bottles raised over $100,000 at auction.
Sounds like an incredible memory

Back