Any reasons why I shouldn't start seedlings @ 12/12 from the getgo, in order to figure gender?

You mean just to show gender, not to keep them flowering too?
I am not a fan of revegging because it stresses the shit out of them but if you dont mind i see no reason why you should not.

I keep mine in small cups now until they're about 6 weeks, clone them, put the new clones under 18 hrs and the old seed plants i cut back to the last 4 shoots and put them under 10/14 to show. Before i used to root cuts under 12/12 but i think the seed plants will react faster to the 10/14 as they already have a root system supporting them.

I keep mine in small cups now until they're about 6 weeks, clone them, put the new clones under 18 hrs and the old seed plants i cut back to the last 4 shoots and put them under 10/14 to show. Before i used to root cuts under 12/12 but i think the seed plants will react faster to the 10/14 as they already have a root system supporting them.

That's a good method Jahnova and similar to what I do with new plants except before they go into flower cycle, I put the seed mothers into complete darkness for 48 hours if ithey have a good dose of sativa in them. This gets them to show sex sooner and allows me to get the area allocated and get those really stretchy ones flowering straight away.

That's a good method Jahnova and similar to what I do with new plants except before they go into flower cycle, I put the seed mothers into complete darkness for 48 hours if ithey have a good dose of sativa in them. This gets them to show sex sooner and allows me to get the area allocated and get those really stretchy ones flowering straight away.
Good one, i know the trick of 48 hrs darkness before harvest and i can see how this will work for gender reveal too. Thanks!

Good one, i know the trick of 48 hrs darkness before harvest and i can see how this will work for gender reveal too. Thanks!
I always believed that doing that would/should make it show faster as the hormone to initiate flower builds up over time so I assume it may cut 2 nights or more from the time if done normally.

you can also do a version of that but not as extreme. grow them on normal 18/6 and around week 3 or so, leave them in 24 hours of darkness. then go back to 18/6.. bro science says theyll shoot some flowering hormones, enough to show sex earlier, but not enough to actually start flowering.

id concur with some of the above posts to avoid the reveg. i have tried starting seedlings and later flipping them, the reveg really butchers the structure especially on some sativa girls. then you gotta reveg them a while to get them strong enough to support buds, and you actually lose more time that way. its faster to just be patient and wait.

id try the method i said in the first paragraph or even paying for a sex test if its that urgent.

politoed,said: " or even paying for a sex test if its that urgent."

I have a friend who sends in a leaf of each plant for a gender test. Test is $8USD per leaf. In a couple years they have been wrong only once.

Longball

it makes no difference in the end ime, extra time revegging is made up for with faster flowering. maybe not a good idea for a bunch of sog style single stems, but can definitely make bushes without any topping.

Thanks for chiming in on this question. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any experience starting off a seed at 12/12, and whether or not it could be worth it. Normally I would just grow out my plant from seed, and take a cut asap. Then put the cut @ 12/12 asap, or do the mother @ 12/12 right after making the cut

Thanks for chiming in on this question. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any experience starting off a seed at 12/12, and whether or not it could be worth it. Normally I would just grow out my plant from seed, and take a cut asap. Then put the cut @ 12/12 asap, or do the mother @ 12/12 right after making the cut
Have you seen my NHM ? I took cuttings from a seedplant several weeks in flowering and got a very vigorous mother now.
Seed was started from 12/12 and finnished on 10/14.

It’s worth it with sativa dominant plants imo. But don’t reveg the plant, reveg a cutting in a mini prop. When them seedplants flower might as well let them run their course so you know which clones to keep after selection.

I've tossed a bunch of bag weed seed onto a patch of decorative landscaping stone surrounding a patio mid summer one year. I never thought a thing about it until I found 17 colas about 12" long 9 weeks later... pretty good smoke.

Back