• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

10/14 for better quality indoor flower?

10/14 on/off hrs works best for High Sativa hybrids and Equatorial land race.
Id stick to 12/12 for Indica hybrids
But you could make the switch from 18/6 to 12/12 gradually like natural day length if you’re concerned about indoor light stress.
✌️
Edit: DJ Short recommends 11/13 for all plants grown from his seeds, supposedly brings out the finer sativa traits. It will shorten the flower time/yield.

10/14 on/off hrs works best for High Sativa hybrids and Equatorial land race.
Id stick to 12/12 for Indica hybrids
But you could make the switch from 18/6 to 12/12 gradually like natural day length if you’re concerned about indoor light stress.
✌️
Edit: DJ Short recommends 11/13 for all plants grown from his seeds, supposedly brings out the finer sativa traits. It will shorten the flower time/yield.

the strains tested were indica though?

I use 14/10 (on/off) for the first 5 weeks of flowering and then down to 12/12 for the last 5 or so weeks. The increase in yield and terpenes has been crazy. My yields went from 9oz under 300w to 15oz under the same light. I grow mainly indica and indica hybrids but have also grown a sativa hybrid that liked it as well.

damn easty why you gotta confuse us like that lol

i mean it does make sense according to nature, that the light would decrease over the flowering period

what the study seemed to conclude was getting the plants in at a low hour lights on schedule early was going to speed up everything, so ripening and finish time, with loss in yield. and with i think it was og, raising the light hours during the last 4 weeks added yield

but overall it was one or the other, quality or yield

but this new evidence says both yield and quality can be achieved but with a longer finish time as opposed to the typical sub 8 week true indica finishing time

In the end all this will have people so confused with it that they will go back to 12/12...
@easty what made you try the 14/10 in the first 5 and what do you think is the contribution of this method to the yield? Im curious to hear. So many lighting methods its becoming an art to set a timer...been using the GLR lately for veg with good success.

I’ve reduced daylight after week 10 for stubborn sativa strains that keep producing flowers but I have never increased daylight after starting flower.
I have several Jack Herer at week 10.5 that are still producing fresh flowers but they produce cloudy trichomes extremely fast.
I reduced them to 11/13 and I think see some swelling and shorter hairs.
I may drop to 10/14 but I wait a few more days.

In the end all this will have people so confused with it that they will go back to 12/12...
@easty what made you try the 14/10 in the first 5 and what do you think is the contribution of this method to the yield? Im curious to hear. So many lighting methods its becoming an art to set a timer...been using the GLR lately for veg with good success.
I stumbled on it purely by accident. I thought I'd set the timer to 12/12 but I had done 14/10. I didn't notice for 5 weeks and quickly switched it to 12/12. The things I noticed is that the plants stretched slowly so the stems got thicker and when the buds were thickening up, they didn't collapse at all. I continue to feed with veg nutrients until buds are set so I hadn't realised I'd still been feeding them high nitrogen for 5 weeks. The last 5 weeks those buds got seriously chunky and stank out my house and neighbourhood haha. I use this method every grow now!

It’s been so many years ago that I don’t remember where I read it but the article said that our Plants needed a minim of 10 hours light and anything less would reduce potency fairly dramatically. . Strength of the light didn’t matter. For example, it would be ok to just have a 100 watt light bulb keeping them awake. I had an outdoor grow under a large plastic tent/greenhouse and my sativas were going well into November when the daylight in my area is short so I had a 100 watt bulb come on at dusk to give me the 10 hour lighting period. My flowers were huge and potent. problem was that everything in the area was brown and so the green stuck out like a sore thumb but things and laws have changed since then…So in my experience 10 hours of light works great but don’t go under 10.

thanks easty and boris. here's a link to the study:

https://www.mdpi.com/2223-7747/12/5/1061

there is a graph that shows that the differences between flower mass and cannabinoid levels are greatest at 10 hours, which suggests the most potency

however, they ultimately conclude that 14 hours full stop is bad for thc levels (reduced by 2/5) yet great for cbd

BUT, 14 hours for 4 weeks followed by or preceded by either 12 or 10 hours for the other 4 weeks is optimal for high thc varieties

this is because although hindu kush didn't show any difference between 12L full stop and 14L for 4 weeks then 12L or 10L for 4 weeks, under the same photoperiod the northern lights had doubled the thc yield but only because of the increase in biomass (thc concentration stayed the same). it also did not matter whether the short period came first or last i.e. if the first four weeks were 10/14 or 12/12 or 14/10 or the last four weeks were

to summarize:

high cbd strain (cannatonic) has a major increase in cbd at 14L full stop, possibly even greater at higher photoperiod. high thc strains had the opposite, a decline in thc by 2/5 at 14L full stop

but, going from 14L for 4 weeks down to either 12L or 10L for the remaining 4 weeks (or vice versa) either showed no difference than straight 12L (hindu kush), or, a 50%(!) thc increase (resulting from biomass increase) in the northern lights

they recommend this to be an optimal light schedule for high thc varieties

there is a graph that shows that the differences between flower mass and cannabinoid levels are greatest at 10 hours, which suggests the most potency

however, they ultimately conclude that 14 hours full stop is bad for thc levels (reduced by 2/5) yet great for cbd

BUT, 14 hours for 4 weeks followed by or preceded by either 12 or 10 hours for the other 4 weeks is optimal for high thc varieties

this is because although hindu kush didn't show any difference between 12L full stop and 14L for 4 weeks then 12L or 10L for 4 weeks, under the same photoperiod the northern lights had doubled the thc yield but only because of the increase in biomass (thc concentration stayed the same). it also did not matter whether the short period came first or last i.e. if the first four weeks were 10/14 or 12/12 or 14/10 or the last four weeks were

to summarize:

high cbd strain (cannatonic) has a major increase in cbd at 14L full stop, possibly even greater at higher photoperiod. high thc strains had the opposite, a decline in thc by 2/5 at 14L full stop

but, going from 14L for 4 weeks down to either 12L or 10L for the remaining 4 weeks (or vice versa) either showed no difference than straight 12L (hindu kush), or, a 50%(!) thc increase (resulting from biomass increase) in the northern lights

Interesting, never done this but it calls for an experiment.
Thanks for sharing!

to summarize:

Thanks for linking and the summary mate, I didn't have a lot of time yesterday or would've done it myself.

I can say for MNS strains shark shock, Med man, Ortega, NL5/Afg and NL5/sk the 14/10 lighting schedule works well from my experience. A happy fu(K up on my part haha.

Thanks for linking and the summary mate, I didn't have a lot of time yesterday or would've done it myself.

I can say for MNS strains shark shock, Med man, Ortega, NL5/Afg and NL5/sk the 14/10 lighting schedule works well from my experience. A happy fu(K up on my part haha.
a happy fu(k up, and also the exact same finding as the study(!)

that really added more to the picture with the first study from the op where they didn't test for two-phase photoperiods, except for the og, where they found both an increase in quality and an increase in flower mass if raised from 10/14 to 12/12 for the last four weeks

this study further explains that the short daylight hour phase can occur at either beginning or end of the flowering cycle, which again, does make sense when going from longer day length to shorter instead of the other way around, even though possibly the same results can be found either way

i'm trying this on the next crops especially ortega and nl5/sk. maybe will try first four weeks 12/12 second four weeks 10/14 considering it's just a closet grow

a happy fu(k up, and also the exact same finding as the study(!)

that really added more to the picture with the first study from the op where they didn't test for two-phase photoperiods, except for the og, where they found both an increase in quality and an increase in flower mass if raised from 10/14 to 12/12 for the last four weeks

this study further explains that the short daylight hour phase can occur at either beginning or end of the flowering cycle, which again, does make sense when going from longer day length to shorter instead of the other way around, even though possibly the same results can be found either way

i'm trying this on the next crops especially ortega and nl5/sk. maybe will try first four weeks 12/12 second four weeks 10/14 considering it's just a closet grow
Yeah man, i was stoked when I went to chop and realised how much more bud was there! It was the smell I was getting worried about, they sure beefed that up really heavily in the last few weeks, I had two carbon filters on my exhaust and I could still smell it about 100m up the street 😂

Please keep me posted on your grow mate, I'm very keen to see what your results are, this kind of thing always fascinates me! Best of wishes for the grow 🙏

Yeah man, i was stoked when I went to chop and realised how much more bud was there! It was the smell I was getting worried about, they sure beefed that up really heavily in the last few weeks, I had two carbon filters on my exhaust and I could still smell it about 100m up the street 😂

Please keep me posted on your grow mate, I'm very keen to see what your results are, this kind of thing always fascinates me! Best of wishes for the grow 🙏
will do : )

Back