• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

10/14 for better quality indoor flower?

Is it the reasoning, why outdoor buds seem quite different then indoor?

I dont know if Iam trusting this or not tho...

Yes, Iam used to 11/13 when in last week flowering.. But 10/14?

How does that corelate to DLI I wonder ?

One can only try himself I guess
Only thing should be Sativas maybe..
they are used to kind of shorter day?
yet totaly different light angles too . . . ?

Iam just thinking loud ;)

the consensus online seems to be to use 10L for sativa type, but both of the studies used 8 week varieties it seems though

both studies and the indica vs sativa idea agree that lower daylight time during flowering will both speed up ripening and perhaps create a more 'finished' looking bud, and reduce yield

but it now seems that in some varieties, both vegetative growth and cannabinoid yield can be turned up during flower with longer daylight hours like up to 14L, but only if, and this is important, if it occurs for about half of the flowering period (4 weeks for an 8 week variety), AND, the shorter daylight hours can occur either at the beginning or the end of the flower period

and interestingly, if it were left at 14L for the whole 8 weeks, thc goes down 2/5(!) as does crystal density. and this holds OPPOSITE, for the cbd variety, which showed major INCREASE(!) in cbd yield if left at 14L for the whole flower period

this all makes me want to find a way to reduce the daylight time by minutes each day, making for the best of what the studies show and the most natural way hmmm

Last edited:
Good stuff, good stuff!
Im going to check out this study, @easty thanks for those details about your experience and @dankd for hooking up that link.
Not sure if i said it before but the almostmystical GLR - Gas Lanthern Routine does also work. Heard about it some years ago and back then it sounded nuts, been curious ever since, tried it, worked well.

Breakdown of one day of GLR veg:

12 hrs lights ON
5:30
hrs lights OFF
hr lights ON
hrs lights OFF

Flower hormones are said to be destroyed within the 1 hr of light intervention in the midst of the darkness to keep it just below the critical level to trigger flowering. Still the hormones are said to build up and when you flip em they are juiced up and ready to go. I have not done side by side with clones thus the hypothetical articulation but i indeed grew like 2 crops of 2 diff cultivars on GLR to 12/12 and can therefore testify that this method is working.

I'll also link this to my Homework thread for my own rememberance...

Last edited:
Good stuff, good stuff!
Im going to check out this study, @easty thanks for those details about your experience and @dankd for hooking up that link.
Not sure if i said it before but the almostmystical GLR - Gas Lanthern Routine does also work. Heard about it some years ago and back then it sounded nuts, been curious ever since, tried it, worked well.

Breakdown of one day of GLR veg:

12 hrs lights ON
hrs lights OFF
hr lights ON
hrs lights OFF

Flower hormones are said to be destroyed within the 1 hr of light intervention in the midst of the darkness to keep it just below the critical level to trigger flowering. Still the hormones are said to build up and when you flip em they are juiced up and ready to go. I have not done side by side with clones thus the hypothetical articulation but i indeed grew like 2 crops of 2 diff cultivars on GLR to 12/12 and can therefore testify that this method is working.

I'll also link this to my Homework thread for my own rememberance...
Pleasure my friend! Enjoy the experimenting hey 😃

I use 14/10 (on/off) for the first 5 weeks of flowering and then down to 12/12 for the last 5 or so weeks. The increase in yield and terpenes has been crazy. My yields went from 9oz under 300w to 15oz under the same light. I grow mainly indica and indica hybrids but have also grown a sativa hybrid that liked it as well.

I’m just curious if you are still using the same method ?
14 on for the first 5 weeks of flowering then down to 12 hours?
It kind of makes sense because most places don’t get over 14-15 hours of daylight on the longest day of the year.

I may give it a try.
Many places never produce 18 hours of daylight so I wonder where 18/6 came from.
Good stuff mate, it definitely works well with indicas and I've got a few more sativa type plants this run and they seem to like it as well. My increase in yield is why I keep doing it.
Yeah I'm not sure where the 18/6 came from either, I've vegged plants on 16/8 before and it worked fine.

One of my last scrogs - in the last 4 weeks of flower - I reduced lights on to 10hours on 14 off, and dimmed all lights to 50%

I had a variety of strains in from sativas to indicas and hybrids.

All can say from that run, is it produced some of my finest buds and lab scores to boot.

I just dont have enough data of runs like this to say it 100% yet

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_210936.jpg
    IMG_20231116_210936.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20231116_213515.jpg
    IMG_20231116_213515.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20231116_211013.jpg
    IMG_20231116_211013.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231113_085633.jpg
    IMG_20231113_085633.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
I may give it a try.
Many places never produce 18 hours of daylight so I wonder where 18/6 came from.
As I recall it started when growing indoors was just starting and the lights, at first fluorescents and 250-400 watt MH and HPS, just didn’t put out a light comparable to natural sunlight and to compensate a longer light period (18 hours) to try and make up for the difference came into being.

I have a few sativa strains finishing up and I may have to go by the trichomes instead of the pistils.
Flowers in direct light up higher have pistils popping out and some produce fox tails.

I have my dimmer at 50% and I might go to 25%.My light/dark was 11/13 at the start of week 9 and a few days ago I set it to 10/14.

My 7-8 week finishers didn’t produce any fresh white pistils but they have more indica in then these 9-10 week finishers.

thanks again for the replies and especially easty(!) for paradigm shifting the original post to now include the potential doubling of yield by changing light schedule in flower

just found this doing some googling btw. see post number #1

Back