What's Cookin'?

One Love @charlesufarley β€οΈπŸ‘πŸ’š

Please, Tell me more about the recipe, Looks yummy 😎

Blessings

Penny
It's basically shepherd's pie but using beef instead of lamb. I brown 2 lb of 80/20 ground beef in a cast iron skillet and remove meat but do not drain grease (that's a SouthEast U.S.touch ;)). Then I finely dice one large onion, four or five cloves of garlic, two stalks of celery, one medium size carrot, and some cremini mushrooms and cook the hell out of it for probably 30-40 minutes so all the veggies are nice and smushy, then I cut the heat and add probably a half a cup of flour and make essentially a vegetable roux. Keep cooking and stirring until it turns almost brick red and then deglaze the pan with beef broth.

For the beef broth, I use a combination of a big tablespoon of a product we have here in the US called Better Than Bouillon, then I add a couple of Knorrs beef bouillon cubes, several splashes of Worcestershire sauce and a tablespoon of Minors concentrated beef au jus to about a quart of water. It's a very intense beef flavor and salty as hell, that's the other SouthEast U.S. touch. πŸ˜†

Let that reduce till it gets sort of like a thin gravy and then I add peas, diced carrots, and green beans. Cover and let that simmer for a couple hours, checking and stirring frequently so nothing gets stuck to the bottom of the pan.

While that's simmering, I peel about 4 to 6 large potatoes and boil them slowly in salted water for probably an hour. I never let the potato water come to a boil it also simmers. Remove the potatoes, run them through a potato ricer, add a stick of butter and use enough half and half to make the mashed potatoes to the consistency you prefer then salt and pepper to taste.

Shred about a pound of sharp cheddar cheese, and you're ready to begin construction. Using two large baking dishes, spoon the beef vegetable mixture into the bottom of the pan then cover with a couple of inches of mashed potatoes, then add the shredded cheese on top.

Bake it 350 for about 20 to 40 minutes, just depends on how you like your cheese, whether just melty or brown and crusty.

Cool for 20 to 40 minutes, unless you like the roof of your mouth seared πŸ˜‚, and dig in.
 
Last edited:
Wasn't familiar with that term so had to ask H.A.L (that's what I call Anthropics Claude, cuz that's one of my best friends name and it's weird to use that name) and that is exactly what it is.
This kind of recipe is great to turn leftovers into a new dish....like my grandmother used to do.
When you have a piece of roast meat left (porc, beef, lamb,veal) you freeze it and when you have enough pieces you ground them all and cook this recipe.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top