questions for Nevil

Hi Nevil,

I like the pyramid, golden cup, pentagram fractal energy device. Early pagans (non-Christians) used the pentagram in much of their art and architecture and as they were country-dwelling, farmer types, I'd say that there is some mysterious connection between the 5 pointed star and the life force. The church has done everything in it's power to suppress the pagan/satanic ideology, even to the point of demonizing Satanism (which was born of people having little knowledge of Christian theology in those times (guess)). This goes hand in hand with the church's reputation of suppressing knowledge/humankind from any type of enlightenment and higher education that people had about the world around them. Enter the Dark Ages. My point is that I believe the fractal energy device or the life force associated with it could have been common knowledge among pre-Dark Ages pagans. As absurd as it all sounds/looks, I think that fractal energy has the potential to increase the viability of your seeds. It certainly won't hurt to try.

On the other hand, modern science has been able to germinate seeds over 1,000 years old. If you Google "oldest viable seed" you will have a good starting place for seeking out the researchers and laboratories that have successfully germinated ancient beans. Your 40 some-odd old seeds are probably child's play for them. I would germinate 2 or 3 of your old beans and if you are not able to successfully germinate them, your best bet is to contract one of these laboratories to do it for you.

As far as Tissue Culture goes, I do not know if a seed meets the requirement of "any living plant matter" as defined by TC science. If TC can turn a seed casing into a living plant then I'm going to try it on some bud that I'm not supposed to have a cutting of!:D I don't think TC can offer a solution for you until after the bean has cracked.

I'm sure that I don't need to remind you that the longer you wait, the lower your chances for successful germination of your old beans is. I hate to think that your beans don't pop 5 or 10 years from now when they could be perfectly viable today. There's really no point in waiting to crack your old beans unless it is your strong belief that science will offer a better solution in the future than it does now.

-canna

I looked up the search "oldest viable seed". I found the info on the 1,000 year old date palm. Haven't found the actual nutrients and hormones used to initiate germing of the palm. I did find this page though. It talks about the stages that seeds go through to germ. Very interesting.
http://plantphys.info/seedg/seed.html
It's several pages that you go through like a class lesson plan. One thing he mentions is Gibberellic Acid (GA). I knew it helped germination but didn't know why. He explains it. Apparently Gibberellic Acid is leached from the nucleus to a layer called the aleurone layer. This aleurone layer is turned on by the GA and starts replicating RNA. Starting the whole ball of wax going. I've never heard of the aleurone layer before. It would seem to me that tissue culture would be of no use unless you turn on the aleurone layer. Here's the page showing the aleurone layer.
http://plantphys.info/seedg/seed5.html
Maybe you could nick the shell like in this thread.
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=1562
Then treat with Gibberellic Acid. I've seen 20PPM as an appropriate amount. Have also seen higher levels used. You can get GA3 at http://www.super-grow.biz/
Another additive that greatly increases germination of old seeds is 1 teaspoon of a high-nitrate fertilizer (such as seaweed emulsion) per gallon of water soak. I believe that addition of seaweed would also be beneficial. You could soak it in the refrigerator to help it imbibe the fluids. The cold would keep it from germing and allow it to take up more nutrients. I've put sprouted seeds in the frig before when I sprouted some seeds too early and didn't have time to pot them up. Every couple of days I would change their water and add a little H2O2 to keep them from rotting. Most grew fine when put in soil.
I wonder if you nick the aleurone layer if it damages it? Could you nick it a little or if it is damaged at all would it stop working?
Just after posting this I found a link on supergrows page that has more info on the additives used to sprout the 2000 year old date. Here's link:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/12/MNGJND7G5T1.DTL

Last edited:
The Afghani#1 was bred by Sam. When I expressed my disgust at how horrible it had become to Sam, he told me he didn't smoke it. The taste was described by Sam as medicinal. Well it was bad medicine. Let me put it this way. If I hadn't had a smoke for ages, and I found some A#1, I wouldn't smoke it.

Sensi didn't have A#1 for sale in '94. I was making their seeds then. Maybe it was NL1 or Maple leaf x NL1.
N.
Much respect for all that you have done. Much of what we have today are remnants of your work and landrace seeds. I know your more known for your Haze and hybrids and they're your personal favorites. But let's talk indica. You collected seeds from hash producing countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. Many killer strains like Hashplant, Hindu Kush, and Afghani(roadkill skunk pheno) all came out of these in the 80's-90's. Many of these strains are overworked and watered down today, because of poor breeding selection. I'm just wondering if you still have any of these pure indica genes that are close to the original selections? I remember a killer Hashplant back in the late 80's, early 90's that was super strong and had a very distinctive spicey, muskness to it when burned. You just can't find the quailty indica seeds today, that you could back then.

Hey JJ, good ta see ya here!

I think all the old classic indicas like HP, HK etc got inbred to the point they all suffered inbreeding depresion and lost quality, they were all worked for fast finish.

I have read that the Mazari line they had in Holland (maybe from Nevil's collection?) had been worked so that it took no more than 9 weeks, whereas the best Mazari hash (the legendary 'Milk of Mazar') was made from the plants that finished latest in early December, grown indoors, these latest plants took 14 weeks. Working the Mazari to remove the longest flowerign ones reduced the quality because the longest flowering phenos were the highest quality plants.

The best indicas I've found in recent years have been things like Deep Chunk, X18, Bubba Kush, Purple Afghan, basically old indica lines that haven't been worked heavily for commercial priorities like the Dutch ones have.

One tip for a good indica line is KC Brain's Afghan Special, it's got some very interesting phenos, it's an old Afghani crossed to a modern worked Afghan and the phenos that lean towards the old Afghan remind me of the best phenos of DC, X18 etc. The other phenos yield bigger but are less interesting.

Last edited:
nevil

first id like to thankyou again for actually taking time to let us pick ur brain ,then making history with every few post as you reveal truths and lineages.

i have asked before without a direct response,i will ask again this is very important to me

im dying to know what haze parent was used in your first haze hybrid released at the seed bank the hazeXnl1?

there are no reports on her,no one even claims to have a clone ,now with the la nina lineage being revealed im curious to know if there was ever a haze hybrid realeased using one of your females

you know when you said the nl5haze contained hz C it was history ,its still believed by many not in the know or on mns that the 89 nl5haze contains haze A ,when you said the hazeC parent was

Santa Marta Gold It has a very spicy/sandalwoody/piney flavor

This is the description of Haze
C

i was surprised but it made sense aswell

B D E O,are the only possibilites from the females aside from
The first batch that I planted produced one plant, a female

while i understand you didnt keep a cutting this line made me ponder
One of the males I crossed it with was Ruderalis x NL1 X NL1

1luvbigherb

im dying to know what haze parent was used in your first haze hybrid released at the seed bank the hazeXnl1?
HzC
the 89 nl5haze
Was HzC. HzA died before commercial quantities were produced.

Female Hazes were not used to produce commercial quantities of seed.
N.

Last edited:
N.
You may have already covered this. My apologys if so. I wouldn't know how to search to find the answer. Why only use male hazes for crosses? I'm assuming it's that they are better but did you find that to be a general rule for ALL hazes? Very mysterious if so. What did the male bring that the female wouldn't?

I'm guessing you get way more seeds from a NL plant as opposed to a haze plant. Although, I'm just assuming that based on what Nevil said.

Brittish Hempire i have to agree with you about kc brains afghan special!. I had phenos that produced the exact same smell as exodus cheese. I f i had to pick an afghan to breed with it would be her/him.

The best haze hybrids that I bred came from the First Haze female I grew. It was bred to a 75% NL1 ruderalis male. I was so impressed that my first Haze release was NL1xHzC, from a select NL1 cut. It wasn't as good as it's predecessor.
Excluding FH female, the two males A+C were genetically the best (progeny testing). If any of the other females had better progeny than the males, I would have used them, but they didn't. Because of Hazes being slow to flower, it was more efficient to use the males, but this was not my motivation. I wish that I had kept FH, but such is life.
N.

Hi Nevil,

I was wondering apart from the 'NL1Ruderalis X NL1' male what other males did you try crossing to FH ? ever got to cross HzC or HzA to FH or to any of the FH hybrids ?

HzC
Was HzC. HzA died before commercial quantities were produced.

N.

i appreciate the quick response

too bad because im sure that hazeA would have been exactly what i want in my jar ,im most thankful her progeny survive because again neville haze is the closest ive come to NYC HAZE .with only 2 samples to base my experience NH will forever be with me

soo would it be true to say all the hybrids of haze that weresold as direct crosses from the seed bank used the hazeC ?

because you will have listed the lineage of all the hazes released if the hawaiian haze /haze x south african /g13 haze /hph that shanti released in 04use the hazeC parent

it was always a dream of mine that mns would one day release a pure haze ,while not possible today from just the hazeC male its still a chance that a pure haze mom is awaiting the ultimate grail,atleast i hope

i thankyou again for setting the record straight ,your details are most appreciated

1luvbigherb

I think if I ever have a question for nevil i'mma bug bigherb so i dont bug nevil, you retain this info like mad, i think that's really cool! I still have an 11 week unworked afghani line of beans that were picked up in the mazar region (not the shitty mazar-i-sharif shit being pawned off today). 11 weeks for these monsters, so some true landrace indicas are still out there that didn't get bastardized, thats for sure!

Haze Polyploids

Hi Nevil,
a few branches of my haze hybrids show an abnormally large percentage of natural polyploids. Have you noticed this in the haze or NL5 lines? it might be from the other side. I don't know.

Every time the Polyploidal specimens have turned out to be male. have you ever bred with polyploidal males? Would you recomend it, in the instance where the plolyoploidal speciman exhibits superior vigor and potency? Why or why not?

Thank you.

Hey JJ, good ta see ya here!

I think all the old classic indicas like HP, HK etc got inbred to the point they all suffered inbreeding depresion and lost quality, they were all worked for fast finish.

I have read that the Mazari line they had in Holland (maybe from Nevil's collection?) had been worked so that it took no more than 9 weeks, whereas the best Mazari hash (the legendary 'Milk of Mazar') was made from the plants that finished latest in early December, grown indoors, these latest plants took 14 weeks. Working the Mazari to remove the longest flowerign ones reduced the quality because the longest flowering phenos were the highest quality plants.

The best indicas I've found in recent years have been things like Deep Chunk, X18, Bubba Kush, Purple Afghan, basically old indica lines that haven't been worked heavily for commercial priorities like the Dutch ones have.

One tip for a good indica line is KC Brain's Afghan Special, it's got some very interesting phenos, it's an old Afghani crossed to a modern worked Afghan and the phenos that lean towards the old Afghan remind me of the best phenos of DC, X18 etc. The other phenos yield bigger but are less interesting.
Good to see your still around. Still have that Purple Afghani? That's some unique stuff. I just read that Neville doesn't know much about indicas and received much of his stock as clones.

Cup aspirations??

Yeah I don't know who Ganja is on the Sensi forum, but I can't say that I see much reason to read anymore of what he has to say.
Lots of people had somehow gotten a hold of this plant and renamed it and made their own line of seeds from it. Seeds being sold under the various names at different companies will no doubt differ, but it all started with the Cup winning plant, who was a daughter of a Cup winner, who in turn was also a daughter of a Cup winner. Did anyone keep the tradition going, or did it stop when I did?
N.

you should sweep the Cup again and show these breeders and growers whats up! I'd love to see Shanti and you bring respect back to the cannabis cup.

MileHigh, one of the problems with entering the Cup these days is that it isn't a fair competition anymore. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the quality of the bud isn't in the equation, but IMO there shouldn't be any other factors in a true competition of the world's best cannabis. Also, there are rumors that some people just enter well-grown killer phenos of SSH or other established strains under their company/strain name. After all, it's not like they do a dna test to verify that the sample buds match the strain name before they judge.

ESS

question for nevil

hey man I know old friends of yours.. old grumpy man . he showed me a photo of you and the king of Afghanistan.. I think..with a shit load of hash behind you .. was it the king.. it was very cool to see the old seedbank catalogs in perfect con... have you still got them and if so can we see them.

Last edited:
Hi all

Devilsharvest, not matter your opinion and all the stories going around , we at MNS treat people as we wish to be treated. So we do not use names or jeopodize others situations real time. This is a discussion group for the benefit of the plant and information and education not personal battle fields...cheers .Sb

Back