Who likes chili.

Vlad the Inhaler

I started growing a bunch of chili this year because I'm trying to learn coco growing and can't keep big numbers of weed, unfortunately.
They have some pretty interesting health effects from reducing cholesterol to killing toxic bacterial that can be fatal to people from food poisoning
Any other chili heads around?

##i don't know if this is best thread.
This one used to be for medicinal plants other than weed also

Hi Vlad!

I have bulgarian carrot pepper in my garden! There was bad weather and I planted them late so I don't expect a harvest before August or September.
it's my first year, mistakes are learning.
what variety do you grow?

peace

Hi Vlad!

I have bulgarian carrot pepper in my garden! There was bad weather and I planted them late so I don't expect a harvest before August or September.
it's my first year, mistakes are learning.
what variety do you grow?

peace
Hi. That carrot is really pretty, hope it does well.
I've only got about ten in so far. Started indoor before solstice but only about 3 hours of direct light in my garden atm, and I'm moving house in cpl weeks, so holding off a bit
I've mainly got Mexican and new mex in now, they are really hardy.
Muluto pablano n the mole types.
Jo E pecker n jalooeno off course
Lumbre XXX is really good pepper.
I'm going to make a heap a ajvar.

Hottest I have would probably be butch scorpion.
Got some really nice black tomatoes to plant soon too

Nice looking plants, MU, that colour is great for a mango sauce

thank's Vlad!
the next aperitifs will be spiced up! Ajvar it's a very good idea thank's.
I would like to make a bottle of chili oil.

Musashi, if this year i have half of what you have on the pictures i would be lucky!

peace

thank's Vlad!
the next aperitifs will be spiced up! Ajvar it's a very good idea thank's.
I would like to make a bottle of chili oil.

Musashi, if this year i have half of what you have on the pictures i would be lucky!

peace
Ajvar is cool way to get rid off excess chili, especially the thick fleshed ones.
The thin frying peppers we broil really slowly in extra virgin olive oil.
Try and do it that slowly you don't oxidised the oil or caramalise the sugars, bottled hot, they'll last a year at least.
60% vinegar/40% soy and a bit of honey is good way to pickle them.(2% salt solution)
If you get heaps you can even ferment them into sarichia.
Just mix them with some garlic and water, ferment it down to 4.2-4.5 pH.
You can ferment up to 30L a time in a beer brewing kit.
Pasturisng above 78Ā°c only takes two minutes.
Do you get into canning?

I have Cayenne, Jalapenos, red yellow and green bell peppers, anaheim, tabasco, super chilis (which is a cross of thai and tabasco and grows real funky) and probably a few I'm forgetting right now.
I have a huge garden this year having seen the grocery issues coming before it actually did I went sorta nuts....hey I have a tractor and lotsa ground, why not ?
I'm curious about your black tomatoes Vlad....whats the strain called ?
I have black krim, cherokee purple, green zebra, sakura cherry, grape cherry, sweet 100 cherry, big boy, better boy and about 15 other volunteer or wind spred seed that I have no idea what they are.
I have what I call the wall of tomatoes x2....each is about 30 foot long and now has the full length covered in 5 foot tomato plants that are producing easily 2-3 lbs per day and it's only getting to be more each day....dunno how much it will produce at the peak which is yet to come.
Already harvested about 100 lbs potato (red and yukon gold) large onions every day, zucchini, squash, cukes, you name it along with the obligatory basil/oregano/thyme/rosemary etc.
That about covers 1/4th of my little garden :)

I have Cayenne, Jalapenos, red yellow and green bell peppers, anaheim, tabasco, super chilis (which is a cross of thai and tabasco and grows real funky) and probably a few I'm forgetting right now.
I have a huge garden this year having seen the grocery issues coming before it actually did I went sorta nuts....hey I have a tractor and lotsa ground, why not ?
I'm curious about your black tomatoes Vlad....whats the strain called ?
I have black krim, cherokee purple, green zebra, sakura cherry, grape cherry, sweet 100 cherry, big boy, better boy and about 15 other volunteer or wind spred seed that I have no idea what they are.
I have what I call the wall of tomatoes x2....each is about 30 foot long and now has the full length covered in 5 foot tomato plants that are producing easily 2-3 lbs per day and it's only getting to be more each day....dunno how much it will produce at the peak which is yet to come.
Already harvested about 100 lbs potato (red and yukon gold) large onions every day, zucchini, squash, cukes, you name it along with the obligatory basil/oregano/thyme/rosemary etc.
That about covers 1/4th of my little garden :)
Hey.
Sounds like a great setup you've got, especially the tractor.
I've got Cherokee purple under LED now and the two others are black plum and Japanese ruffle.
The smaller one I'm going to dry and the pear is for aribiatta sauce.
I'm going to try n bottle a couple of hundreds litres.
I've got a red and pink full size pear for sauce and Santorini, Borghese and a cherry from Baja California for drying also.
Do you grow cushaw squash?

TF-0267-2T.jpg
TF-0064-3T.jpg

Last edited:
Yo Vlad!
I have never tried Ajvar and it is my first year and the harvest may be lean (it is not very serious but the seeds will be precious)
I did not follow everything well, your recipe is for chili oil?
For the chili oil, i would have just put pieces of peppers in olive oil and let macerate.
For the ajvar yes I would have canned it

Hi n2ishun
You have something to make you happy, great!
are you looking for food autonomy?

peace

Na
Yo Vlad!
I have never tried Ajvar and it is my first year and the harvest may be lean (it is not very serious but the seeds will be precious)
I did not follow everything well, your recipe is for chili oil?
For the chili oil, i would have just put pieces of peppers in olive oil and let macerate.
For the ajvar yes I would have canned it

Hi n2ishun
You have something to make you happy, great!
are you looking for food autonomy?

peace
Nah it's not really chili oil.
More like oleo di peperone.
You get fresh peppers, like bell or cubanelle a Hatch gone red or Italian frying peppers.
Cut into strips n broiled/sauted really slowly to bring out the sugars.
You only really bring it up to temp when you bottle it off.
Those strips in oil won't last long.
You can use them in cooking, on pizza or just put them on bruschetta with cracked salt and grated cheese.
You'll have enough next season anyway.

Na
Nah it's not really chili oil.
More like oleo di peperone.
You get fresh peppers, like bell or cubanelle a Hatch gone red or Italian frying peppers.
Cut into strips n broiled/sauted really slowly to bring out the sugars.
You only really bring it up to temp when you bottle it off.
Those strips in oil won't last long.
You can use them in cooking, on pizza or just put them on bruschetta with cracked salt and grated cheese.
You'll have enough next season anyway.
I just checked the name, it's called peperone sott'oleo.
My brother in law's nonno showed us how to make it

I was taught by a mexican chef to take whole dried chilis, fry them in oil till they just start turning brown/crisp and take them off the heat and plop the pans bottom in cold water to stop the cooking.
Put the entire chilis (stems and all) with the oil in a food processor, add some more oil, raw onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, fresh ground black pepper, lime juice (fresh) and pulse it slow so it doesn't oxidize too bad to make a taqueria style salsa.
Use dried jalapenos, tepin, ancho, guajillo, and arbol chilis to your taste.
It's freakin good when you get the ratios just right....I still experiment so I can't give exact measurements, sorry about that.
I have tried it with fresh chilis and it works fine, you just have to cook them a bit longer and use less oil.

Oh btw, I also have San Marzano roma tomatoes, dunno how I forgot that one, they are AWESOME.

I'm getting a bit more light now and they are moving along.
One thing I've noticed is most of the peppers want more calcium.
It's raining, so I can't feed them as much as id like
The tomato and strawberries are doing ok, but the chili are getting spotting on the leaves.
Just got some chimoya and chili de agaua seed along with other american landraces.

If capsium binds directly to the pain receptors and aids release of endorphins ( feel the burn ) is it a drug?

My chilis were terribly slow and had spotting on them too.
I used 'milorganite' which is a pro farmer type granular nutrient spread, it's 6-4-0 with iron and comes in 50 lb sacks from the local co-op.
Worked a charm, it's slow release so don't be tempted to use it again in a week.
But you can google it, it's funky but not anything as bad as you might be thinking.

Yes it's really delicious on my bruschetta!
My plant had her first flower, i don't remember if it's mini peppers or bulgarian pepper (i hope for this).

In case some of you live where the winter is cold, I just found out, like 2 days ago, that the chili Acrata, called also goat's weed does not die during the winters, at least until 0 CĀ° - 32 F.

It is definitely a chili I want to grow this year, hopefully will be perennial where I live :)

Been thinking about trying to do some indoor chili's / peppers, struggled to find much about doing them indoors under lighting, but then again i did not really dig that deep. I am actually quite intrested in finding anything that can be run along with our plants

Back