Which cloning medium gives YOU the highest % of success

Which method/medium gives the most successful % of rooted clones

• Total voters

Diesel840

Hi all. With our Mr. Nice family being spread throughout the world, we all grow in starkly contrasting environments. As we're all aware, different environments and grow practices lend themselves to different styles and mediums.

Out of the listed mediums: soil, rockwool cubes, coco coir, and aeroponics (yes I know it is a method and not a medium 😅☺️) which do you get the highest % of successfully rooted clones.

In a grow cycle or so, I'll do a side by side of the winners and post real world winner.

Diesel840

I made a simple bubbler/aeroponic bucket with excellent results. Very little nutrients and lower ph than normal. Maybe 5.5…use a cloning solution. You need something in the water to help with ph. Hydroton in mini baskets is what the clones are in and protrude an inch or so below bottom of the basket Scraped and sliced.

Simplest for me and a high success rate was Rockwood cubes however cococoir worked well for me as well as Soil . and aeroponics have not done that yet but have heard good things about it. The main thing to me is cutting of the clones and preparation of the clones is paramount. Making sure you have at least 2 nodes in the medium. Light nute mix .

And I would also say I find that a flowering cutting rooted faster than a non-flowering cut.

It would also be of great interest to document the other parameters besides the medium.
°C / light schedule / total time to root
beeing the three major factors that raise my interest in learning about your methods.
Add those 3 to the factor medium and we get a ruff recipe to follow. Medium only is a poor info because depending on your climate and personal circumstances the effectivenes can vary a lot.

Looking forward to more detailed insight.
Good one @Diesel840

I use mature plants only for cuttings or bloom.Sex shows under 18/6 but may take a few months.
I cut the nodes off so a tiny bit of its stem is left on the cutting branch.(See picture).Success rate went straight up after I started doing this step and the grodan tray liner.
I try to find a branch so at least 2 nodes get down into the cube.
I poke a hole all the way through the cube to bottom so cutting branches don’t get bent or injured.
Once I dip the cuttings in clone liquid I push it in the cube and cut it off flush with bottom of grodan cube.
I use grodan tray only for they last a lifetime,won’t collapse or break if stood on, and raise cubes out of the water in tray.
I put an inch of water/nute in bottom of tray,put dome on, in a few weeks roots.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpeg
    IMG_0174.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I used to use the rapid rooter sponges but it's a hassle and gets expensive for nothing,
now I just use coco drenched in some willow tree 'tea'. The new way might take a few extra days
but still getting 100%. I might add that I cut the clones small, like 2-3 inches (that's 5-6 centimeters ).

Back