What are you eating today? edible thread.

Kryppler's Med Tent Coma Brownie Recipe

Fourth, the brownie mix is for a 9" x 13" pan, grease the pan with something like Crisco oil and cover that with a slight sprinkling of flour. This is to help keep the edges of the brownies from shrinking and burning. Follow instructions on brownie box.

hi i got a brownie recipe that calls for a bake temp of 180C (350F) OR 160C (320F) fan-forced bake
with bake time of 30 to 35 minutes.

after 70 minutes decarb at 105C (220F)....

do you have an idea of what temp the simmer is? reason i ask is you mentioned, " On my stove a very slow simmer turns into boiling in about 10 minutes " and wonder what you think of this... "Well before a cooking fat or oil reaches its boiling point, it will begin to smoke" and the smoke point of unrefined coconut oil is 177C (350F).

AND... this..

"THC is destroyed at temps between 157C - 193C (315F - 380F). potency will be lost if the temp is too high."

AND...

I followed instructions from my canna doc...Dr.Frankel at greenbridge medical stated 200F for 6 hours...reason being that you don't want a high heat to cause any vaporization of destruction of important terpines...I tried 2hrs, 4hrs and 6hrs and the Doc is right...6 hours at 200F seems to work really well
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/threads/cbd-nordle-medical-report.12682/

and the ol skunkpharm decarb graph... a couple of main points i take from that graph that whatever one does do not heat the ganja for 145C (293F) for longer time than 7 minutes and also not heat ganja for 122C (252F) for longer than 27 minutes.

decarboxylation-graph-1-1.jpg

interestingly the temp at 106C (223F) steadily climbs at least until around 51 minutes.... does anyone know at 106C (223F) temp at what time the peak THC point is reached?

and how to pull this coma all together with a brownie bake temp of 180C or 160C fan forced for 35 minutes...

i dont want to loose any THC

eagerly awaiting replies to maximise cannabinoid levels so i can induce this coma !

thanks for the rest of the recipe

Last edited:
Maybe just capsule it up into 1 ml, 00 vegetarian capsules. I've found it's easy to dose that way, and you don't have to worry about shelf life for a year in the fridge. It's boring and tedious to do, but you won't have to reheat the oil much past it liquid state. Oh if you want to lose even less cannabinoids before that, use a sous vide to decarb your herb inside a vacuum bag. The loss of cannabinoids will be minimal.
Peace all.

@BenPlantin said: "hi i got a brownie recipe..."

Hello BenPlantin!

We all know that heat destroys THC so I use a 'low and slow' approach to making brownies as I don't want to lose a single fucking molecule of THC. My way takes a couple hours longer but as @Kryppler has posted, they a quite capable of knocking you on your arse! :)

do you have an idea of what temp the simmer is?

Not sure of temp but I can tell you of MY experience of baking brownies 100's of times. Of course, 100 people will tell you 100 different things! lol The big difference is my way works. Lowest simmer possible for 3-4 hours! In my case, I am stuck with an electric stove that does not put out the same consistent heat as a gas stove. It keeps turning on/off as the sensors tell it to so there is some temp inconsistency. A low and slow simmer should have bubbles popping up here and there kinda steadily. When they are popping up everywhere then the simmer is too high. In my case, I have to turn the stove down til the bubbling stops then turn it up again. We tend to watch the simmer like a hawk as we are sitting there sippin' bourbon and smoking weed. Low and slow - it takes longer but you get a better product. Heat destroys THC............I would guess that a low simmer is slightly below the boiling point(212F) so that is ok.

"THC is destroyed at temps between 157C - 193C (315F - 380F). potency will be lost if the temp is too high."

I 100% agree. I consistently see decarb at 220. I am sure that is fine. I decarb at 205-210. To me, this keeps it under the boiling point(less heat). I have no scientific evidence to back this up but I feel a lower temp than boiling reduces THC loss. It also adds 30-40 minutes to decarb time. My way takes a lot longer but as Kyppler has posted, you get a very potent product.

As far as baking the brownies goes, I am not really comfortable with a 350 degree temp but I don't know of any way around it. I bake the brownies 5-10 degrees lower than the package states for a slightly longer time. Again, everything takes longer but the product is good. My Coma recipe calls for 2oz hi-test bud in 2/3 cup of coconut oil. That is a lot. A couple of important things to keep in mind:
1) Coconut oil is made a few different ways and they are of very different quality. You will see this reflected in the price. The better quality oil more easily absorbs the THC into the fat cells of the oil.
2) The fat cells can only absorb just so much THC and then they are full. You can add 3 pounds more of pot but the brownies will not be any stronger as the fat cells are as full as they can get. The oil will not magically grow more fat cells. Through experience I have found that 2oz hi-test pot is about the limit for 2/3 cup of oil. You can use a lower grade pot and even more of it but they will not be Coma Brownies then.

Hope this helps. Any more questions and I will try to help as best I can! :)

Longball

@Pheonix66 thank you

We all know that heat destroys THC so I use a 'low and slow' approach to making brownies as I don't want to lose a single fucking molecule of THC. My way takes a couple hours longer but as @Kryppler has posted, they a quite capable of knocking you on your arse! :)

do you have an idea of what temp the simmer is?
Not sure of temp but I can tell you of MY experience of baking brownies 100's of times. Of course, 100 people will tell you 100 different things! lol The big difference is my way works.
Lowest simmer possible for 3-4 hours!
We tend to watch the simmer like a hawk as we are sitting there sippin' bourbon and smoking weed.

Let the good times roll ! I haven't made a lot of brownies, at least the ones would bake in the oven, so 100s of brownie experience to lean on for the formula of success is certainly helpful thank you. What you saying along with this quote im thinking around 93-98C (200-208F) for 4 to 6 hours.....

I followed instructions from my canna doc...Dr.Frankel at greenbridge medical stated 200F for 6 hours...reason being that you don't want a high heat to cause any vaporization of destruction of important terpines...I tried 2hrs, 4hrs and 6hrs and the Doc is right...6 hours at 200F seems to work really well

but im wondering about this, if anyone has tried it?, and if maybe skipping the initial decarb at 105C (220F) for 70 minutes and instead...???

1. simmer for 4 to 6 hours at 93-98C (200-208F) for 4 to 6 hours.
  2. decarb during bake by baking like you mentioned, " As far as baking the brownies goes, I am not really comfortable with a 350 degree temp but I don't know of any way around it. I bake the brownies 5-10 degrees lower than the package states for a slightly longer time. Again, everything takes longer but the product is good. "
Going from the skunkpharm graph and other info on decarb, 27 minutes bake time of brownies at 122C (252F) would be ideal for max THC? wondering if anyone knows if there is a graph around for CBD (other cannabinoid/terp) decarb temp/times ? be interesting to check out too.

My Coma recipe calls for 2oz hi-test bud in 2/3 cup of coconut oil. That is a lot.
You can use a lower grade pot and even more of it but they will not be Coma Brownies then.

It is a lot, how it should be ! Lower grade is no option, high grade is the way to highness, and so, 2oz of high grade it will be and a coma for thee. With a name like @Kryppler it is further evident these brownies work ! Good thing here is can simply adjust the portion size for the off chance days only want to be semi-conscious not full on coma.

2) The fat cells can only absorb just so much THC and then they are full.

Yes. and it is paramount that we know how to attach as much THC as possible. Ah, chemistry is not my strong point but are we not making compound molecules here by joining the THC lipids to the coconut lipids?

Hope this helps. Any more questions and I will try to help as best I can! :)
Longball

Sure does help, thanks you legends!

@BenPlantin

Some thoughts on getting and retaining THC in brownies:

1) I don't think there is any way around decarbing the pot in the oven. I thought that by heating the pot in oil or by cooking in brownie the heat would decarboxylate the pot. It appears the pot must be dry heated first for maximum conversion of THCA to THC. If you find reliable information that proves otherwise, please let us know as I'd love to skip some steps and save some time. Sometimes for the finest product, steps cannot be skipped nor time saved.

2) Do some research on coconut oil and the ability of it's fat molecules to bond to THC molecules. All coconut oils are NOT created equal. I came up with a list of 5 oils that I would use. The one I posted earlier is the only one sold in my area. It may not be sold in yours? I threw the list away years ago so I can't help you there.

3) According to some science I read a while back, adding a wee bit of lecithin(not to be confused with lectin) to the oil will help THC molecules bind easier to the coconut oil fat molecules. There is no lecithin available in grocery stores around here so I have not tried it and keep forgetting to look for it elsewhere. As the Coma Brownies can knock you on your ass there is no hurry for me. But I will get around to it someday.

What is Lecithin?

Lecithin is a fatty substance naturally found in plant and animal tissues. It is a yellow-to-brown colour substance. Lecithin provides several health benefits due to its major component phosphatidylcholines. It can lower bad cholesterols in our body. Furthermore, it is able to increase immune function, reduce digestive distress, improve memory, help in brain development and.... read more here: Lecithin Lecithin is pretty much used in every baked product in America so it is available on Amazon or somewhere for sure. I just keep forgetting to look for it. Old and can't remember chit!

I have no problem with 205-208F for 4-6 hours, it fits my low and slow approach. Here's a thought for ya: You may want to try the Coma Brownie Recipe as it works if you follow it to a fucking T. If you change a single molecule of the recipe then it is not a Coma Brownie Recipe but something else you are making. Freeze half of the Coma Brownie batch. Later on make a batch of 4-6 hour brownies. Compare the two. See if the extra hours cooking made them any stronger. Let us know the results. I'll cook those fuckers 6 hours if that is what it takes for the strongest brownies!

I have a suspicion that if you cook brownies at 252F for 27 minutes you will need a spoon to eat them. Not positive but very curious how they turn out for you. I would not mind being wrong about this.

Longball

@BenPlantin

Some thoughts on getting and retaining THC in brownies:

1) I don't think there is any way around decarbing the pot in the oven. I thought that by heating the pot in oil or by cooking in brownie the heat would decarboxylate the pot. It appears the pot must be dry heated first for maximum conversion of THCA to THC. If you find reliable information that proves otherwise, please let us know as I'd love to skip some steps and save some time. Sometimes for the finest product, steps cannot be skipped nor time saved.

2) Do some research on coconut oil and the ability of it's fat molecules to bond to THC molecules. All coconut oils are NOT created equal. I came up with a list of 5 oils that I would use. The one I posted earlier is the only one sold in my area. It may not be sold in yours? I threw the list away years ago so I can't help you there.

3) According to some science I read a while back, adding a wee bit of lecithin(not to be confused with lectin) to the oil will help THC molecules bind easier to the coconut oil fat molecules. There is no lecithin available in grocery stores around here so I have not tried it and keep forgetting to look for it elsewhere. As the Coma Brownies can knock you on your ass there is no hurry for me. But I will get around to it someday.

What is Lecithin?

Lecithin is a fatty substance naturally found in plant and animal tissues. It is a yellow-to-brown colour substance. Lecithin provides several health benefits due to its major component phosphatidylcholines. It can lower bad cholesterols in our body. Furthermore, it is able to increase immune function, reduce digestive distress, improve memory, help in brain development and.... read more here: Lecithin Lecithin is pretty much used in every baked product in America so it is available on Amazon or somewhere for sure. I just keep forgetting to look for it. Old and can't remember chit!

I have no problem with 205-208F for 4-6 hours, it fits my low and slow approach. Here's a thought for ya: You may want to try the Coma Brownie Recipe as it works if you follow it to a fucking T. If you change a single molecule of the recipe then it is not a Coma Brownie Recipe but something else you are making. Freeze half of the Coma Brownie batch. Later on make a batch of 4-6 hour brownies. Compare the two. See if the extra hours cooking made them any stronger. Let us know the results. I'll cook those fuckers 6 hours if that is what it takes for the strongest brownies!

I have a suspicion that if you cook brownies at 252F for 27 minutes you will need a spoon to eat them. Not positive but very curious how they turn out for you.
hahaha brownie sauce.... i just used that for example as it matches up with skunkpharm graph, for sure would have to modify recipe for that temp/time or modify temp/time but close to optimum THC on skunkpharm graph but there is at least another factor at play here...

Thermal conduction
wikibro explains it better than i could...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conduction

so in skunkpharm glass beaker thingy heat is transferred almost instantly whereas a brownie in the oven at say180C (350F) OR 160C (320F) fan-forced bake does not instantly reach that temp...

...im only guessing here but after 30-35 minute bake time the middle of that brownie would only been somewhere around 122C (252F) to 145C (293F) for around 7 to 27 minutes due to thermal conduction.... in-line with skunkpharm optimum THC level...the 4-6 hours infuses (bonds molecules) of the cannalipids into cocolipids.... it makes sense now... im a get baking and get my coma on.

will follow coma brownie recipe to a T... im into experimenting but science research is directly proportional to financial statement... and if you made 100s that a lot of valuable brownie experience and scientific research already invested to be ignored.... mistakes are good teachers.... mistakes only come from experience and good teachers are worth listening to if one wants to achieve optimum results sooner and significantly increase their chances/luck to live a more rich, prosperous and fulfilling life of abundance.

thanks longball and kryppler! legends

Last edited:
@BenPlantin

Been making brownies for decades and many, many mistakes were made. Early ones were horrible and people couldn't quite keep them down but couldn't bring them back up either. People turned kinda green and did a lot of gagging. It was like eating brownies with hay in it lol Slowly fine tuned it. One of the effects of real life Thermal Conduction you can see in your oven while baking brownies(or anything else) is while waiting for the center to get done the sides touching the pan tend to start to burn. After greasing the brownie pan,a little flour is sprinkled on the greased plan to help reduce this(but not eliminate it).

In real life baking in your oven at home it seemed reasonable to assume that achieving thermal eqilibrium would produce a brownie that is the same temperature everywhere and equally cooked everywhere. Nope. Only when a brownie is cooked to a near charcoal state is thermal eqilibrium achieved. Sometimes you just have to bake the damn brownie in your own oven and understand the math of your own 'beaker'. No two beakers are the same. Key Tip: When you take a brownie pan out of the oven, the center continues cook, so, if you take it out when it seems perfect it may be a little well done when you cut it up. Thank you! I don't know that for a fact, I just made it up! I wouldn't make it up if it wasn't true! ;)

To help the center cook a bit faster and the sides to cook a bit slower: After pouring brownie mix into pan let it sit for a couple minutes, take a spatula a press on the 'center area'(2"x4"?) of brownie mix, spread the excess around the side of the pan.The center will be thinner and cook quicker and the sides will be taller and not shrink and burn as quick. As the center rises and the side shrink, you get a more even brownie. Closer to thermal eqilibrium! And a better Coma Brownie. After 10 or 15 batches you will be pretty good at this!

Cookies? When we make brownies we usually make cookies also. We make our favorite chocolate chip mix. The same oil is used, the cookies take less time to cook so the THC(etc.) is exposed to less heat. As the cookie is smaller and heats more evenly(thermal eqilibrium) all the math rules of the 3 Laws of Thermodynamics work quite nicely. This pleases me. :) A brownie pan will be cut up into pieces. Pieces the size of cookies? Why not cookies? The only problem I have with this? I love dark chocolate brownies so much 🥰

Outside The Box: This idea from working in the Freihofer Baking Co. pastry division. My boss was born in Germany and had studied to make pastries there. An expert. This was a guy to learn from! After forming up the pastries, with dough, fruit, and other ingredients, you have this thing of different temps(who knew?) The fruit in the center was colder than the room temp ingredients, and the dough was in the middle temp. The outside dough was trying to achieve a state of thermal eqilibrium with the room temp. How do you cook all this evenly? We 'proofed' it. Turns out there is a 'proof' box. It is always 140F. The formed pastries are placed in there, 140F is not enough to cook the pastry but warm enough to heat the pastry evenly to a state of thermal eqilibrium. It is also warm enough for the dough to rise(lecithin). When the pastry is heated evenly it is then put into the oven. It didn't take as long to bake and came out cooked evenly. And flaky(lecithin).

Can brownies be 'proofed'? Cook more evenly? Have more THC(etc.)? We can improve the recipe! :)

Longball

champion @longball ... ive got the stove top on, 4oz of flowers decarbed ready to go in....

cool history on the baking pastry, i love baking pizzas and breads but had to give a lot of it up have major problems with gluten... youve had some pretty cool experience with it all.

im already feeling excited as to how intense this coma will be and have a niggling sensation in my gut of hilarity and the humor of a irresponsible teenager about to do something that is borderline stupidity but is so funny it should be done anyway

Hey guys, some great info here
I've had good luck using a slow cooker
I'm not sure the exact temps, but leaving around 6+ hours seems to yeilds a potent product
I have different ideas in Decarb
I've been experimenting with this and it seems through the different methods the decarbed product is pretty much the same unless I go overboard
Saturation points are interesting, and as others have mentioned results vary depending on quality of coco oil used
Again great info guys
Looking forward to hearing about your results!
"Coma brownies' my type of brownie👽

Hello @sensient! :)
Thanks for posting up those articles! I found the 3 Ardent articles to be more of 'buy our product' ads. Most info I knew but found the higher temp/shorter time for decarbing interesting as it seemed to be backed by science. The last article by NCBI was much more interesting and used science to back up the claim of higher temps/shorter time for decarbing. I am definitely going to experiment with this. The only problem for me is that I will be using an electric oven and not using Ultra-High-Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography/Photodiode Array-Mass Spectrometry. I will not be using a vacuum oven either. While my edibles will knock you on your ass it seems there are some things to try with my electric oven to make decarbing more efficient. As stated earlier in this thread, it 'seems' there is no way around decarbing. It needs to be done. Or does it?

Anecdotal Story: "Mike" has been making brownies/cookies for decades. He started making them at my house after his children reached a certain age. I noticed he never used any measurements at all and used butter. He never decarbs. Of course, this is driving me nuts as I am fussy about 'precise', 'exactly', 'following rules to a fucking T', etc. He does everything by eye and feel. A couple years ago I moved to the same town he is in. I give out edibles for free and as I didn't know these new people that well I decided I could up my credibility by saying that I made these edibles with "Mike" as everyone knows and loves "Mike". I was surprised when every single person said: "Fuck no! His edibles are too damn strong and put you in a coma!" "Mike" does use a low and slow approach and never uses buds, only leaves!

Conclusion: Sometimes you just have to bake and experiment in real life with the real life equipment you have to make 'Coma' edibles and science be damned! While everything "Mike" does could be broken down scientifically and inefficiency's could be found, he is still making 'Coma' edibles. Why fix what ain't broke? However, I will experiment some more with decarbing even if he doesn't. And I will do it precisely, exactly, and follow the rules to a fucking T. ;) If I notice an improvement in potency, I will call them 'Death Wish' brownies and send the recipe to @Kryppler!

Longball

Last edited:
Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see ;)

I like making shortbread edibles. Half of the ingredients are butter and it can be cooked at low temps. I cut them in circles, so they are easy to figure out personal doses. If unsure, start with a quarter. I dont measure my weed either, and I assumed (after learning about decarbing years later) that cooking in butter was decarbing

Hi longball
I know what your saying
Before decarb was a thing most of us just threw the herb into butter and that was it
A good space cookie would knock your socks off
Its just interesting looking at the science
If we can improve our methods, why not
I'm going to continue experimenting, will I yeild a more potent product
Probably not
Happy experimenting man✌️
Sensient

Hi longball
I know what your saying
Before decarb was a thing most of us just threw the herb into butter and that was it
A good space cookie would knock your socks off
Its just interesting looking at the science
If we can improve our methods, why not
I'm going to continue experimenting, will I yeild a more potent product
Probably not
Happy experimenting man✌
Sensient
So true . And the fun part will be testing when done 💯🤣😂

@sensient, found this useful

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see ;)

hawkins.jpg

Hello @sensient! :)
Thanks for posting up those articles! I found the 3 Ardent articles to be more of 'buy our product' ads. Most info I knew but found the higher temp/shorter time for decarbing interesting as it seemed to be backed by science. The last article by NCBI was much more interesting and used science to back up the claim of higher temps/shorter time for decarbing. I am definitely going to experiment with this. The only problem for me is that I will be using an electric oven and not using Ultra-High-Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography/Photodiode Array-Mass Spectrometry. I will not be using a vacuum oven either. While my edibles will knock you on your ass it seems there are some things to try with my electric oven to make decarbing more efficient. As stated earlier in this thread, it 'seems' there is no way around decarbing. It needs to be done. Or does it?

Anecdotal Story: "Mike" has been making brownies/cookies for decades. He started making them at my house after his children reached a certain age. I noticed he never used any measurements at all and used butter. He never decarbs.

Longball

Mike sounds like a legend ! mike decarbs, just when he bakes them... what is helpful about discussing our experiences is that we can learn from each other and refine this to the 'Death Wish' brownies recipe that a 5 star Michelin chef and Gordon Ramsay would agree "fuck me, I am wasted, I am dying!".

what i make of what i read in simple is put the flowers in cocolipids and bring to heat anywhere from 110C for 4 to 6 hours then add to brownie mix (or other recipe or 00 caps) and fan bake at 130-140C for 30 to 40 minutes... (time can be reduced if brownie is spread over lager area pan and thinner, and other good longball tip spread brownie mix to edges and thinner in middle when it goes into the oven for even cooking, you beauty !

here are the results, thank you, i had 5 teaspoons last night of the coco-oil before it went into the brownie mix and i woke up this morning feeling like i had already blazed a phat doobie so that is spectacular !

TEMP 98C

cannaoil - 98 degrees.jpg

TEMP 103C

cannaoil - 103 degrees.jpg

canna-coma-coco-oil trance 6 hours @ 105 degrees
cannaoil close up trance.jpg

canna-coma-coco-oil.... this is what is remaining after i put 170 grams of it into brownie.... i adjusted the mix with some MathewMatics...

...original recipe calls for around 1 cup (226g) of oil and 2oz (pretty much 60g) of flowers....

....i used 400g of coco oil so i put 60g + 47g of flowers in....

60g flowers / 226g oil = 0.2655
0.2655 x 400g oil = 106 grams of flowers required.
106g - 60g = 46g

the 400g container the coconut oil came in was around 2/3 full after 6 hour simmer and strain and separate from plant matter.

cannaoil leftovers.jpg

Coma brownie mix ready for oven

brownie ready for oven.jpg

coma brownie fresh from oven fan bake for 40 minutes @ 130 to 140C .... +/- 1.3C 😂
brownie ready for coma.jpg

coma brownie appears to be disappearing already and im feeling pretty good so far still awake, for now... got a little vibe going on... that piece disappeared an hour ago...
bit of a funny story many year ago, back in the old days, you know, once upon a time, in late teens i was at these peoples place i hardly knew but they had some ganja brownies and they said, "whatever you do, only have one brownie, they are super strong."

That was followed by a devilish laughter amongst themselves, like these folk possibly had the death brownie recipe down to a science even Raphael Mechoulam would be proud of.

so i had 6.. haha.... and just sort of vegged out like a tetraplegic... but i like it

coma begins.jpg

400g of butter added to the strained leftover flowers from coco-oil and simmered at 110C for 1 hour.

cannabutter.jpg

Last edited:
Back