Well water questions

Indi

I have great water it’s just very hard with a ppm of 275 and it needs to be purged or treated with bleach every 60 days.
Bleach is just one way and it’s fairly inexpensive and simple but bleach can be smelled for 2-3 weeks.
I forgot to change my sediment filter and my lines got contiminated and smelled like rotten eggs but a filter change and purging took care of problem.

I think using bleach is hard on filters because my carbon sediment filter leaked all the carbon out and my RO filter went from putting out 35-40ppm to 165ppm in a few weeks.

So I need to figure out a different way to keep my well sanitary and may have to get another RO system.

There’s several ways to sanitize water ,UV light,H2O2,bleach, and probably more but before I start I thought I’d ask what methods would be safer and less costly over time?
I can’t say for sure but I think bleach ate up filters??

Redundant systems make sense as a backup. Bleach is inexpensive and can be hard on equipment. It doesn’t take much, are you using the right amount?

Shaka
Mu

Sounds like a shallow, dug well if H2S odors abound. A deeper well with a proper sanitary seal would probably be be the best long-term solution. Unless you're right on the coast, in which case a deeper well will give you more saline groundwater.

I used too much bleach and next time I’ll know correct amount.

I didn’t know that once you install a carbon water filter you can’t remove it without breaking the seal that keeps carbon in filter.

Look into what a cistern is.
If you pump into some sort of settling tank that has a bottom clean out to remove sediment it will resolve your issues.

I think what happened is my lines didn’t have any water running through them for several weeks during hot weather and the filter being wet got infected and spread into water heater.
My water from well before the filter was fine but past it smelled rotten and the filter was slimy and ripe smelling.

Once I ran some bleach through system and replaced sediment filter I haven’t had a problem since.

Back