walkabout for life

sysadmin

Like many the path for self sufficiency started outdoors. I was lucky to grow up in a favorable climate for cannabis and the mountains of my youth were well known for high quality outdoor. For many years I lived the life of the guerrilla even as the scene became very hot, indeed eventually too hot. Before it all ended, much of what I learned about the plant and life in general had formulated for lifelong application. So I have always watched the MNS walkabout threads with interest, both because of the mystery of the gear itself but also its inevitable calling to the walkabout in us all.

In late 2013 there was a MNS walkabout cleaning auction (actually a relist) that somehow ended up headed my way. It took a sidetrack somewhere for weeks but eventually showed up. Believe the auction said it should be approx 45-60 seeds but was actually 90+-! Some look a bit weak and pale but plenty look fine and not surprisingly variety across the spectrum relative to size, color, striping etc. Somewhat contrary to expectation these walkabouts will be grown indoors, or at least started and selected there. Eventually any winners could possibly be given a true walkabout.

So on to the first batch to be tested and the only one to get run in winter 13/14. 17 randomly selected seeds were germed of which 16/17 broke out. 4 of these 16 then damped off leaving 12/17. Of these 2 were obvious runts but kept anyway. Preferably the WA starts would have had another 2-4 weeks vegging but their sidetrack adventure and closing season here means the flower starts tonight. They have put on some nice growth in the last week though, so I think it will be fine relative to health. Idea is to take cuts or reveg anything of note anyway and re-run fall 2014.

I am most interested in WA since it is not clear just how exactly the seed is made although my suspicion is they are other MNS strains that have become mixed. Possibly shanti keeps some of his old cuts like mm, sk1, haze and just mixes them in open pollination with each other. Having grown MNS genetics over the years you really cannot go wrong and in the end it all starts to kind of looks the same anyhow.

These pics show the 12 plants right at flower onset, if typical 50/50 ratio each container will have 2 per 5 gallon in soil. Not much of note although some pretty fat leaves for sat dom genetics. Many seedlings have fat leaves though and only later clones will show more typical heritage. Obviously some much larger already and as they flower more variation will certainly be noted. This will be a multi year project if all goes as planned.

Great thread!

Hi sys great looking plants. When were they started? I too have a walkabout cleaning i started mid Feb. I will be keeping an eye on this thread hoping to learn more about this offering.

These WA were started from seed on 2-10-2014, so approx 35 days old into flower. Ideally a seedling gets 8 weeks veg imo but these should be fine. The cuts selected for fall re-run will have much longer veg times and should give much better feedback. Like many I find running a clone to be different process from the original seed start mother(s). Growing m/f plants from seed is always a exciting process for me and helps rejuv interest in gardening vs known clones yoy (not that I don't love all you ladies !!!!!!!!!)

well i can tell for sure that i am going to have to work on mine some to get to size of yours lol. mine were started the same time and would be lucky if they are half the size of yours but have only had the light from a windowsill with 2 cfls to keep it from flowering. but i have faith they will pick up once i am able to get them out into the sunlight :)

Starting to show, so far 4 females and 2 males noted. The three largest plants have all shown female which is interesting but likely why shanti recommends outdoor setting for these. I could see how they would be real beasts in either an indoor or outdoor setting.

These two are the largest and both female. No idea on lineage but they look as if outside they would get huge. The runts are totally in shadow here but have not shown yet.

the taller untopped plant in upper center right is another WA female. This plant looks very much like my LN cut in leaf formation and light tracking habits.

In the center bucket are two confirmed males (skunk/haze leaning leaves) and one female. Other plants have not shown yet. The WA are center, other buckets are mix of mosh, shit, la nina, luci, c99. Approx 2 months till end of flower season for this year.

Good to see an indoor run of these, are you thinking of trying any outdoors? Also, are you noticing any aromas yet?

Hey, no smells yet but early still. Might have a line on a good walkabout spot for summer so will see. Big challenge in my area re outdoor is killing frosts so likely many haze crosses cannot make it outdoor here. Probably will take some cuts here in the next week though as there could be some earlier finishers.

2 more confirmed females found last night and all look great so far. These WA are very enjoyable so far.

Good to hear the girls are showing. Same problem here with the season. The description in the strain base says outdoor harvest times…Sept/Oct/Nov…so it is kind of a crap shoot for the longer ones. Sometimes I can push things into November, it just depends on the year. If I can find a new protected spot I may put in a patch and roll the dice. Probably won’t achieve the same results as those grown at a lower latitude but I’ve grown some interesting plants here that I never thought I could.

I too am curious about the strains in this mix, are there things in there other than what’s on the regular menu? Another comment from the description “A winner to those with economic budgets, looking for something from well selected landraces mixed in with hybrids."

2 more females showed = 8 total. The 2 runts have not showed but the focus in now on the healthy 8 females (2 males culled). Four of the WA are noticeably larger than the other four. The smaller plants are getting more sativa looking leaves while the big ones are still very large meaty fan leaves. Will have to repot 2 into a new bucket as all 4 in one bucket are female. No smells yet but should see some drastic changes in the next few weeks. Fun times and heightened anticipation when you have new unknown girls in the house.

Moving along, days are rapidly getting longer so the indoor garden is entering the final weeks of the season. Quite a bit of variation in the WA, but to be expected. Hard to distinguish smells at this point but I did take cuts of 6 WA, the other 3 do not have any lower branching so if cloned they will need to be revegged. Seems like over half the WA are flowering on a 8-10 week timeframe, a few are going to go longer.

These two are the biggest in the garden, took cuts from both (a, b)

some smaller WA

this is one that has no side branching, sog type, also WA cuts

finally my LN cut by which other WA sats will be judged. This plant get a very nice glossy look to the leaves even during flower.

Last edited:
just a few rambling updates on what so far seems the most interesting

nice glossy green on this one and some very skinny leaves. moderate height and slower bud formation

this one looks like some LN shots of old, that is more hazy than ww.

another hazy, ln looking type

this one is a beast, should be the biggest yielder and fast. seems to favor more indus valley look and smells. possibly critical skunk or some other large skunk cross. has almost a chocolate smell. would probably finish in time in most places but looks like could be mold prone

another tall one, but very skinny leaves and slow budding. has a weird variegated trait where every other leaf on new growth shows this

Winding it down, a few shots as WA near the finish line. Most WA are on track for 10-12 week finishes if not a bit longer. Some real interesting phenos in the mix. I will be sure to provide more details about ones of most interest to me once they are finished, cured, and puffed!

Very cool thread. Thanks for posting. How is the resin content, leaf to bud ratio and smells if you can distinguish? Looks like she was a delight to grow.

Very Interesting

Really interesting grow. I've always wondered what exactly is in Walkabout. Looks like heaps of different phenos and finishing times.

Are you recognising some of the plants as anything in particular?

Would you say you've found anything awesome? What is your favourite one?

Sorry about all the questions. I've always been curious about Walkabout. I really like the name too.

scrubdog

The plants are quite varied, though description seems accurate relative to a few early finishers, some mid, rest late, etc. The few that are early are smaller in stature but perhaps the clones will be different. The early ones look like my shit plants (yellowing leaves and finishing up), but tighter formation--assume some type of skunk crosses. The later plants tend to be much larger, are still bright green, and show minimal sign of ripening. Of these later plants it is pretty easy to see the sat dom in WA, but any guess as to lineages. Pretty obvious lots of haze in the mix, or some type of landrace sats--the leaf blades on mature stems are very thin. Of these there are some that look like LN or skunk haze, while others look like NH or crosses thereof. As we know you can mix 4 major building blocks in many ways (haze, afghani, skunk, NL) which forms the base of much MNS stock.

Relative to smells there are different distinct odors. The large meaty plant in shot 4 above has a cream soda/chocalate scent and looks like some great smoke, really leans more toward some large afghani or NL cross. There is a very tall plant (variegated leaves) that I did not snap any recent pics of, she has a very unique lime/mint scent and is the tallest but slowest flowering. I could see her being landrace thai, mexican or perhaps the new guinea? Other hazy plants have mix of sandlewood, leather, earthy, etc.

The real test will be in the smoke reports! Right now I like the look of all the ones posted above but certainly am open to revegging anything of note for those I did not take cuts of. Not to mention the huge straw of WA still remaining (and the nvs skunk). So will update in a few weeks once the other standard cuts have been harvested and only WA is left. But for those who dont care on knowing exact lineages WA and DT are where it is at relative to auction prices, some real steals on these fine genetics. And it does appear you can get away with them inside if you are used to sat doms. Hopefully a few of these cut offspring will get put outside to show their true potential in natural conditions.

I guess it was another thread elsewhere, but I remember someone saying they were doing this strain (slight chance it was another long season sativa from the rock series) indoors as well, and that almost any strain can be indoors with the proper training or "know-how" or whatever. And, I wanted to tell that dude "well why don't you tell us how then?" There are some, not sure if this dude was like that, who brag about how great they grow but act like it's a state secret to share info! So I hope you can provide tips on growing these (and long season sativas in general) indoors with good results. thanks

ps. It seems you have been getting great results with this strain, I am anxious to try this indoors as well as outdoor don't work for me atm. Anyway, sorry for the extraneous feedback, and GREAT THREAD!

Last edited:
or you can peruse thru Yosemite Sam´s grow logs and see monster haze buds!
:)
im sure he will walk you thru it if you simply ask! he´s cool like that...

bless up!

hey

growing sat doms inside is not really all that hard, the biggest thing is they generally take way more time, more space, and produce less so they are labors of love really. Overall sat doms feed lighter so they do need adjusting on feeding and can burn easily but biggest issues are time and space. Even for non commercial production you use way more energy on inside sat doms for return. I just enjoy growing them and do like a bit of a challenge.

So on to the first smoke report, this one is , coincidentally, cut "a" and it finished days ahead of the rest. As mentioned has much more indus valley look than one might expect from WA, lots of resinous leaf matter, bulky--like ripping into cotton candy when pulling apart. I could see this one having mold problems in high humidity but would finish in time about anywhere and once dialed in should produce well relative to yield.

Although still needs better curing it already has a strong musky, hashy smell with hints of chocalate. The smoke is thicker as you would expect from resinous-y indica leaning but not harsh (but does need to cure out better), hashy flavor with some earthiness in there, lingering smell on exhale. Stone is what I called "empathy" herb, that is you find yourself more tolerant of/to others, have a cooler temperature relative to stress and generally are very relaxed. Great weed if you know you will be standing in line all day, or have some dull family or reunion type setting to attend, this will keep you half smiling and patient of all idiocy.

The plants are quite varied, though description seems accurate relative to a few early finishers, some mid, rest late, etc. The few that are early are smaller in stature but perhaps the clones will be different. The early ones look like my shit plants (yellowing leaves and finishing up), but tighter formation--assume some type of skunk crosses. The later plants tend to be much larger, are still bright green, and show minimal sign of ripening. Of these later plants it is pretty easy to see the sat dom in WA, but any guess as to lineages. Pretty obvious lots of haze in the mix, or some type of landrace sats--the leaf blades on mature stems are very thin. Of these there are some that look like LN or skunk haze, while others look like NH or crosses thereof. As we know you can mix 4 major building blocks in many ways (haze, afghani, skunk, NL) which forms the base of much MNS stock.

Hi Sysadmin

I think I remember some thing about Early Queen being crossed to Land races for Walkabout .
I`ve grown both . And I did see similarity in the two lines . Possibly FX or Shanti can confirm or deny ?

Back