To Top or Not To Top - That is the Question!

TGTDE

2022 COE Winner
So here goes the age old question. Had some trouble finding a thread dedicated to it here (and I value all your opinions more than users on other forums I’ve read through) so why not start one and ask you all?

I am wondering your feelings on the age old question: Top or Not To Top?

Not trying to start a war. Would just like people’s POLITE opinions and experiences with topping / not topping their plants! Do you think it hurts overall yeild to top?

You know what, let’s throw in a second topic to chime in on - Defoliation!! How much do you defoliate and when? I feel as though I’ve defoliated too much in past grows and left a lot of yield unrealized!

Last edited:
I think if I were able to grow outdoors or in a large indoor space (greenhouse or large room with high ceilings) I’d leave my plants untopped. However being stuck with a smaller indoor grow area I’ve chosen to top my plants (often multiple times to try and maximize the canopy and get multiple smaller but still decent top colas.

What do you all prefer? Have you ever tried both methods with clones and compaired?

i suppose it all depends on multiple factors. topping does help the plant form more budsites and won't create a big head cola. if you have a low ceiling or trouble with humidity, then this is helpful. topping also gives you a more even canopy. so the leaves might be more in the light sweetspot.

the big downside to me is that the plants growth hormones is concentrated in the grow tips. so topping can take away much of that and slow down the growth. personally i would always let the plant grow +/- 6 nodes before i would top anything.

then again im a big believer in not defoliating etc. i only take away branches or leaves when im certain the plant won't slow down or use it herself later

I think it very much depends on the circumstances and on what your needs are. As @sneakyfeck already mentioned, the height of the growroom plays a role. Also if you live in a country where growing is illegal and you start an outdoor guerilla grow like me, you will want to top your plants cause they stay smaller in height making it easier to hide them. Another reason in favor of topping is that you have a better overview of what is going on. I can imagine that when you have a 3m high beast it is difficult to see whether the top cola is infested by anything. Furthermore, the buds on a topped plant are more numerous and smaller, reducing the risk of mold. Yieldwise I do not think it makes a difference, but never tested it on the same clone side by side.

I do believe that topping/training/defoliation can be beneficial to the production but only if all parameters are on point (environment, lighting, feeding, rootball development, overall health,...).
Genetics also play an important roll. Every plant is unique and some will like and respond well, others not so much...

I defoliate only until all buds catch light
I overgrow most plants cloning the upper part which tops them automaticly. Just in case there is a keeper and I’ve got garanteed girls for another round.

When leaves are not in the way, I stay off of them. But I had to do a lot of defoliation with NHM to get a better airflow and more penetrating light.

Also: I often stop watering plants so they die , dry out and I can handpick a smoke directly from the plant.

Ok here are my 2 cents . Reason for topping is to strengthens the lower branches . And keeping smaller. I have found that bending and tying the top over to about the height of the second lowest branches gives great results and it also prevents them from getting too tall usually .

I like to get familiar with a specific variety before I decide how to grow it for large production.
Some varieties will do well to be left alone for the most part with a nice trim down below of the lesser branches and flowers.
Once I know the growth parameters of said plant then I can decide.
Sea of green? Perpetual harvest? Giant outdoor trellis trees? I have a few said mullem hybrids that will do over 12’ in my climate with little more than water.
It really depends on the plant and even sisters are different as anyone who has dated sisters can attest . 😎
Learn the plant you have .

I almost dated sisters once! My GF at the time had invited me over to her house and her very beautiful sister was her roommate. When I arrived, only her sister was there. So I sat there waiting for my GF while her unbelievably sexy sister was sitting there with me. A few moments go by, and then she walks over to me and whispers in my ear, "we should have sex before my sister gets back"! Boing! I immediately got up and head out the door to my car.

I found my GF standing outside the door, at which point she hugged me and said, "You have won my trust. I love you!"

Moral of the story: Always leave your condoms in the car!

Longball

in the past years i never topped my girls, just training and scrog because i have only 150cm of height, i also tried without scrog but with i had always better results, best one was a LemonSkunk Fem with 325g/plant.
also i defoliate my girls, in veg more than in flower.
now i have 3 girls running, all topped and they look great.
it is my last grow with fem seeds, because i had a lot of problems with hermies by doing training/scrog/defoliation.
i am waiting for my first MNS order and canˋt wait to start them❤️
peace🤟🏻

Bend it over from early on. I like to keep the growing tip. The plant will grow like a forsythia bush if you keep it bent over. You will also utilize the light much better than letting a plant grow sstraight up. All the side branching will be like the main growing tip from an untopped plant.

Ive got a 10 years old Super Silver Haze mother plant that will get 20-22oz a plant, indoors under a 1000w Hortilux HPS in a 20 gallon container, vegged for 60 days. It also stretches like a mofo in veg, and I specifically look for strains that really stretch alot in flowering. I start the clones under fluorescent, or use the light from the 1000w HID, but keep the clones 4-5 feet away from the direct light. Clones dont need much light, and cant take much light or they will try and grow, instead of making roots, and quickly dehydrate trying to grow. After they are rooted I put them under 1000w HID at 24 inches away, and let them frow towards the light. And if I start seeds, I also use a 1000w Hortilux, from seedlng-finish. I also have a 12 years old Barneys Farm G13 x Haze mother that will produce the same and 60 day veg. This was IMHO before BF sucked. Now they suck compared to when they went all feminized, and then went back to regulars. The G13 x Gaze isnt the same as it was 12 years ago. But these 2 particular strains, vegged to the max, in 20 gallon containers take up a complete 4 x 4 area for 1 plant. You can get 1-2 extra around the perimeter in 5 gallon containers. Using 3 lights you can get 1 under the light. I in between the 1st and 2nd light. 1 under the 2nd light. One between the 2nd and 3rd light one under the 3rd light So 5 plants under 3 lights in 20 gallon containers. I go 83oz out of 3 lights, and 5 in 20 gallon containers, and 3 in 5 gallon containers. 2384 grams out of 3000w. So about .794 grams per watt. Also no CO2, but really great fresh air exchange. Im more than happy with the GPW. Also plants were done in 63 days, so I can do this almost 6 times a year. 13 days short of 6 times a year. Thas about 31.1lbs a year at 6 times a year. Out of 3000w of HID.

I bent every plant except the ones in 5 gallon containers. Soil Medium was Promix BX. Not all straind will come anywhere near these numbers. Has to be a fast growing, very branchy, and large stretch plant. Ive got some pure Indicas that wont get half that. Some lucky to 8oz from each lant. and is a waste to grow them in 20 gallon containers. The SSH, and G13 x Hz will completely fill a 20 gallon container with roots. I veg in 5 gallon, and at flip transplant into 20 gallons, and at flip they grow 4x their size. Sometimes 5x. At there fastest growing they use 4- 5 gallons of water every 3.5 days at 83f temperatures. I also have 5-7 box fans going, and make sure every plant has movement. I also shake my plants at least 1 time a day, and bend around on the branches to make strong stems. I veg 24/7.

Last edited:
Back