Tips for growing in a urban zone in the tropical heat

Hi everyone

It's been a few years since I've posted the last time here, but am now starting to grow again although in a completely different setup than what I was used to.

I did always grow indoor using a 400w HPS light in a 1sqm room for my own consumption, and used to select mother plants from seeds and grow to flower from clones. I did quite a few MNS strains, starting with NHM and SSH a long time ago, with Pink Floyd and Angel's Breathe the latest I worked with a couple years ago.

Since I relocated from continental Europe to a tropical climate just above sea level and in a urban zone, I'm going to grow a few plants in the backyard. But I don't have anything I used to grow with and grow shops don't exist here. I live at a latitude of approx 20N with a dry and a wet season, and temperature between 37 and 40 C between April and june what concerns me a little.

So it would be nice if anyone could share any tips.

That thread was a nice read BTW: https://mrnice.nl/forum/threads/growing-in-the-tropical-rainforest-climate.6590/#post-101767

The only thing I brought with me related to growing is my private reserve of selected MNS seeds that are a few years old. I soaked a few, 10 actually, of the stones seeds 2 days ago, and all of these popped last night. I did plant them in containers as I wasn't sure yet if I'll grow these in pots or in the soil. And this morning, I learned my first lesson.

TIP: Use a metallic mesh to protect the soil against cats.

Fortunately it looks like they didn't dig out the sprouted seeds while pissing.

I'm thinking about starting another thread to discuss the strain itself but I'm missing time now.

Sending out good vibes to all of you guys.

Hi @Swifty , @longball ,@quinxstar ,@Islandgrower

Thanks for your messages.

All the seeds sprouted, but one of the plants was of a yellow, light green colour whereas the other one have a nice dark green colour. I wrote was, because it's slowly dying since only the cotyledons opened, but no leaf began growing. The 9 other one look just fine with sun exposure from early morning to beginning of the afternoon.

However, I have now another concern that is night light. It's never completely dark in the city, even in the backyard. We also have to switch on the light sometimes, and although the plants are not right below there's a bit of light getting to them.

I guess I'll wait until the flowering begins before considering some shading.

However, I have now another concern that is night light. It's never completely dark in the city, even in the backyard. We also have to switch on the light sometimes, and although the plants are not right below there's a bit of light getting to them.
I once had a plant that flowered in half, the back end showed flowers and the front end stayed in veg for weeks longer because of light pollution from street lights that were more than 500meters away.
It was a guerilla grow that was near a highway, did gave me good flowers but could have 2x more.
My experience.

Thanks so much @Swifty and @quinxstar for your feedbacks.

I absolutely need to find some shading for street lights when they'll get bigger.

I remember Shanti writing light during the night can cause herm issue. I had such a bad experience growing indoor where female plants developed male flowers on lower branches due to a light leak, although I had clones from a very true female in the same room that did not.

It's so exciting to see these to grow after years without growing. They are developing their first leaves now, and I can't wait to see how many girls will there be.

Maybe your grow season isn't temperate 'summer' to 'fall' -- most tropical zones grow from the end of the rainy season through the dry season.
I started my present grow (25N) in October and I'm mostly harvesting now in Feb.
Avoid the highest temps, catch the rain and moisture for vegetative growth, and flower in the shortest lighter period time with the dry and cooler weather.
But you'll have to check your own local climate data.

Maybe your grow season isn't temperate 'summer' to 'fall' -- most tropical zones grow from the end of the rainy season through the dry season.
I started my present grow (25N) in October and I'm mostly harvesting now in Feb.
Avoid the highest temps, catch the rain and moisture for vegetative growth, and flower in the shortest lighter period time with the dry and cooler weather.
But you'll have to check your own local climate data.
Hey Maria it has been a while . How have you been

Hey Maria it has been a while . How have you been
Hi! Pretty good.
Back living in warm countries.
Just recently harvesting these:

OJD's Connoisseur Genetics, Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil: HARVEST Day 129 = 32V + 97F
PXL_20240221_003747800.jpg

OJD's Connoisseur Genetics, Grail Project NH18 x MM pheno 1 (reg) = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male)
NLD pheno -- Day 124 = 42V + 84F:
(MM is Mullumbimby Madness, MML is Mullumbimby Madness Long pheno)
PXL_20240216_085213262.jpg

Have/had two phenos each of these two crosses.

Both have been pollinated by OJD's ThaiFrican male, being Outback Haze 2 clone x (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male).

Hi! Pretty good.
Back living in warm countries.
Just recently harvesting these:

OJD's Connoisseur Genetics, Super Silver Sour Thai Nevil: HARVEST Day 129 = 32V + 97F
PXL_20240221_003747800.jpg

OJD's Connoisseur Genetics, Grail Project NH18 x MM pheno 1 (reg) = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male)
NLD pheno -- Day 124 = 42V + 84F:
(MM is Mullumbimby Madness, MML is Mullumbimby Madness Long pheno)
PXL_20240216_085213262.jpg

Have/had two phenos each of these two crosses.

Both have been pollinated by OJD's ThaiFrican male, being Outback Haze 2 clone x (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male).
Wow stunning beauties. Have you been through Musashis grows? He is a sativa connoisseur as well .
Sativa will be my next grow . The doors are a likely candidate.

Wow stunning beauties. Have you been through Musashis grows? He is a sativa connoisseur as well .
Sativa will be my next grow . The doors are a likely candidate.
I've stalked a few growers and journals here on mrnice, including Musashi's.
Lately have been over at another forum that has a lot of haze/sativa growers/grows.
The Doors looks like it has a lot of potential.

It is good to see you drop in @Maria Sanchez. I've seen some of your guerilla grows and some of the ways you made due all for love of the plant. Impressive!

mu
Thanks for your kind words! šŸ’š
Always trying to improve my craft and learning from experts such as yourself.
By "seen some of [my] guerilla grows" I hope you mean online and not watching me out the window!! šŸ¤£

Back