The stoners kitchen (Recipe thread)

I've eaten so much venison that I no longer have a taste for it....except for my own teriyaki/black pepper venison jerky.
I do eat goat/lamb and really enjoy a good greek souvlaki or a *real* gyro (and I know enough that the correct pronunciation is 'yee roh').
Given a choice it's gotta be a buffalo steak or halibut fillet as my go to protein.
BTW, probably 90% or better of the venison I've had I took myself, Kansas deer get huge and are grain fed....and I am fully capable of the 800-1000 yard clean wheat field shot, 'cause you ain't getting any closer in the wide open fields here.
Halibut I catch off the Kenai when I'm up there. Best keep your fingers away, I've seen Halibut bite them off of people.
I am the monster that knows how to proounce Gyro the food, but will say Gyro, like jeyro.

we some larger fish that in theory could take your finger in MI, but it would likely be the force of the interaction w/ the fish mouth more so than the fish jaws doing the ripping. that's intense.
I have an incredibly marbled petite Bison Ribeye in the fridge right now. was on clearance at meijer for 6 dollars a pound. instead of 11.

I have only had goat once, and I think, I did a good job cooking it, but because I am a sale/clearance/manager special bin abuser, I likely wont be getting it until it becomes widely available.

It really is pronounced YeeRoh, go ask a true Greek person or middle easterner. I learned it when I was stationed in Beirut.....yea, that shithole.
ayem dil le lah

The trick with goat or lamb is that it has to be served rare, if you cook it to medium it gets way too tough.

This guy is a whiny dude, it's a tiny Halibut, not even keeper sized (minimum 28 inches to keep).
I've caught them up to about 150 lbs and have seen someone else use a helicopter to put a huge one in the bed of a truck....maybe 400-500 lbs.

It really is pronounced YeeRoh, go ask a true Greek person or middle easterner. I learned it when I was stationed in Beirut.....yea, that shithole.
ayem dil le lah

The trick with goat or lamb is that it has to be served rare, if you cook it to medium it gets way too tough.

This guy is a whiny dude, it's a tiny Halibut, not even keeper sized (minimum 28 inches to keep).
I've caught them up to about 150 lbs and have seen someone else use a helicopter to put a huge one in the bed of a truck....maybe 400-500 lbs.

I agree. lamb is best rare. but I prefer the texture at 135 degrees F, aka medium rare! I basically made stewed goat as It was boney meat. seemed like the most traditional way.

We ate these wodka-injected watermelons yesterday with our community. They were injected on Friday after which they got to absorb the wodka for +/- 24 hours.

20210625_160019.jpg

We bought the cheapest wodka we could find in the local Russian store and since this brand is trying to target its audience, majority of the label is in Russian with only some contact details in Hebrew :) For those who don't know, Russian is the unofficial third language over here, after the 2 official languages: Hebrew and Arabic.

It takes a bit of time to inject 1l in 2 watermelons but the result is worth the effort. It's important to eat when we're drinking and with wodka-injected-watermelon we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

How to make it? Very simple... you inject the wodka into the watermelons (+/- 0.5l wodka for a +/- 5kg watermelon), then wrap the watermelons with cellophane and let them rest for 12-24 hours outside of the fridge. Then put them in the fridge for a few hours and serve with some feta or Bulgarian cheese, nana (mint) and some sea salt on the side... Perfect lunch for those brutally hot summer days!

We ate these wodka-injected watermelons yesterday with our community. They were injected on Friday after which they got to absorb the wodka for +/- 24 hours.

View attachment 52032

We bought the cheapest wodka we could find in the local Russian store and since this brand is trying to target its audience, majority of the label is in Russian with only some contact details in Hebrew :) For those who don't know, Russian is the unofficial third language over here, after the 2 official languages: Hebrew and Arabic.

It takes a bit of time to inject 1l in 2 watermelons but the result is worth the effort. It's important to eat when we're drinking and with wodka-injected-watermelon we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

How to make it? Very simple... you inject the wodka into the watermelons (+/- 0.5l wodka for a +/- 5kg watermelon), then wrap the watermelons with cellophane and let them rest for 12-24 hours outside of the fridge. Then put them in the fridge for a few hours and serve with some feta or Bulgarian cheese, nana (mint) and some sea salt on the side... Perfect lunch for those brutally hot summer days!
fun!!!!

Because I know history, it is not a surprise that Many people speak or read Russian in Israel. I am actually surprised it isn't an official language.

Found an orange chicken recipe online that I tried yesterday and it turned out pretty damn solid. Next time I'd make a bit more of the sauce to drizzle a little on the rice but still enough to coat chicken.

Ingredients
Chicken:
  • 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite-size pieces
  • 3 Eggs whisked
  • 1/2 cup Cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • Oil for frying
  • Pinch of salt
Orange Chicken Sauce:
  • 1 cup Orange Juice
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar or White Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce use tamari for a gluten-free dish
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder or 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
  • Orange Zest from 1 orange
  • 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
Instructions
  1. To make orange sauce:
  2. In a medium pot, add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes. Heat for 3 minutes.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of water to form a paste. Add to orange sauce and whisk together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken. Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and add orange zest.
  4. To make chicken:
  5. Place flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish or pie plate. Add a pinch of salt. Stir.
  6. Whisk eggs in shallow dish.
  7. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then flour mixture. Place on plate.
  8. Heat 2 -3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Using a thermometer, watch for it to reach 350 degrees.
  9. Working in batches, cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, turning often until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.
  10. Toss chicken with orange sauce. You may reserve some of the sauce to place on rice. Serve it with a sprinkling of green onion and orange zest, if so desired.
20210705_093224.jpg

Hatch Green Chile
World famous
Contrary to popular belief it can only be obtained in Hatch ,NM
Not from a can….
Word!
😎☝️✌️

Grasshoppers? Chocolate covered? I remember tripping on LSD and snacking on something, seemed legit. The hostess came over and asked how I was enjoying the chocolate covered ants! WTF? Don't know if she was kidding but I didn't eat anymore!

Longball

Back