The stoners kitchen (Recipe thread)

Hootigh

After looking around on the site for a bit I have only seen threads for recipes for cannabutter, soil, nutrient schedules, and such. This got me to thinking, what better is there after the harvest than getting ripped and knowing you have an excellent meal waiting for your munchies? Not much.

Inspired by Musashi and his jambalaya recipe in another thread, I figured we should start a thread to share what we found to be good food amongst one another.

I'll start with pulled pork, based off a Tyler Florence recipe.

PULLED PORK

Dry Rub:

3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 (5 to 7 pound) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt(have used loin and been fine)

Barbecue Sauce:
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup yellow or brown mustard
2 cups ketchup
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
drippings from the pork

1. Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.

2. I cook mine in a pressure cooker but have used slow cooker as well with excellent results.

3. While the pork is cooking, make the barbecue sauce. Combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Take it off the heat and let it sit until you're ready for it.

4. When the pork is done, take it out and put it on a large platter. Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. While it's resting, take 1/2 cup of pork juices left in the pot and add to bbq sauce (discard the rest).

5.While the pork is still warm, you want to "pull" the meat: Grab 2 forks. Using 1 to steady the meat, use the other to "pull" shreds of meat off the roast. Put the shredded pork in a bowl. Mix pork to desired amount of bbq sauce and assemble sandwiches. I like mine with pickle or homemade coleslaw.

Enjoy.

I'll throw another out there. Simple yet delicious.

Alfredo sauce

1 1/2 sticks butter
2 pints heavy cream
1 wedge parmesan grated (I use members mark from sams club /shit quality parm can give gritty texture)
1 heaping tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1. Add a little of the butter to pan and lightly brown minced garlic.

2. Add the rest of butter, heavy cream and parmesan to saucepan. Heat until all incorporated and smooth.

3. Season with salt and pepper.

Presto.

I shall share w/ you the ancient BBQ wisdom.

blend the the BBQ seasonings. my dad taught it to me, and; apparently, it is how people win awards according to youtuber Harry Soo, owner of slap yo daddy BBQ, and awarding winning bbq'er

let all non fish meats sit dry rubbed in a bag, only using its own juices as the sauce. overnight or until you cook it. I am less stringent w/ food safety w/ beef for this, can be up to a week for large cuts.

EVERY CULTURE ON THE PLANET HAS A BBQ RUB SEASONING BLEND. see 1st wisdom.

CURRY = BBQ RUB

CAJUN ALL PURPOSE = BBQ RUB

JAMAICAN JERK RUB AT 1/5 THE RATE THE OTHER RUBS.

at this very moment I have a bone in ribeye steak that is heavily marbled, that was in the manager special bin yesterday for 3 dollars a pound, sitting in my fridge about to be grilled. Hot curry powder, blackening rub(basically cajun) and Montreal steak seasoning blended together and heavily applied to all sides. my local grocery store, puts meats that havent even begun to oxidize(turn brown) into the bin all the time, I am such a spoiled person.

speaking of the manager special bin, never be tricked by the beef back ribs that look gorgeous, and are amazingly priced. they are half tendon. the fairly priced ones usually are not a trap. decent amount of meat.

Larger cuts of meat are easier to cook than small ones.

the dollar store spice section is the best place ever.

the clearance rack spices at bigger grocery stores are fun. 10 dollar bottles of rub for 2.50 sometimes. Some of the new expensive brands, some established ones, always different.

The reverse sear method is king. look it up, learn it. live it. you take the meat out of the fridge, put it on the cool side of the grill ,close the lid for a bit, then sear. easy perfection.

Flavor layering. the same spice blend, applied before, during, and after the cooking process adds complexity to the dish that is hard to describe, but trust me, it's the difference between the recipe as written, and the recipe as prepared by your great grandma.

Cherry wood in the smoker, goes good w/ literally everything, every meat, every seasoning blend, every vegetable when you open the grill up and the chunks light on fire for cooking w/

Gas, charcoal, wood, electric, slow cooker, toaster oven, or even air fryer BBQ is all real BBQ as long as it was made w/ love and time.

my recipe for you is for an all purpose BBQ rub rub blend. you eyeball it out for how much you need each time ,keeping the ratio about right. I am using name brands so youi can find equivalents/ pull the same thing out of your spice cabinets.

equal parts Morton's nature seasoning, A Cajun Life Cajun All Purpose Rub, spice supreme rib spice and Granulated garlic.
1/5 part Spice supreme Jamaican jerk seasoning.

Multi color peppercorn blend by tones. called Peppercorn Melange. grind as much pepper as you like.

If you need to impress someone w/ a meal. go to the Butcher shop, and get a 2-3 inch thick NY strip steak or Ribeye cut, marinate it like I said. slice up some potatoes and fry them in butter and beef tallow season w/ garlic, onion powder, and pepper. Saute some mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers, seasoned w/ garlic, pepper, and finish w/ some Cognac if so desired. 10ml cognac to 20ml of water in a shot glass, so the cognac flavor spreads better. Courvosier is less aggressive than martell. lastly , fry up some green beans, preferably some long fancy ones. Reverse sear the steak, and when you go to sear it, crank the temperature as high as you can. you want the outside to be beautiful, while the inside finishes between medium rare and medium. as the 140 degree F point IMO has the perfect texture for strip steak

Any time PMB. Hope you like it. The cayenne gives it a nice kick. If you're really sensitive to a little heat it may be too much but I really enjoy it. It's become a staple in my house.

I’m a bit of a hunter here’s one of my favourites.
Venison loin (back steak) sear all sides in butter and oil mix in cast iron pan, then transfer to an oven dish and cover with tin foil finish cook (around 10-15min depends how rare) at 150/160 degrees C (Kiwi) In oven.
While meat is finishing use cast iron pan throw in garlic and onions chopped how you like, fry until translucent remove from pan. Add brandy flame it up (the fun part, try not to be too stoned) once flamed off add mushrooms of choice then add ya onions and garlic back in then add DOUBLE cream and reduce sauce to desired thickness.
Remove ya loin to rest pour over sauce add what ever you want to go with it and slice when ready to eat. Makes a mess but worth it!

I’m a bit of a hunter here’s one of my favourites.
Venison loin (back steak) sear all sides in butter and oil mix in cast iron pan, then transfer to an oven dish and cover with tin foil finish cook (around 10-15min depends how rare) at 150/160 degrees C (Kiwi) In oven.
While meat is finishing use cast iron pan throw in garlic and onions chopped how you like, fry until translucent remove from pan. Add brandy flame it up (the fun part, try not to be too stoned) once flamed off add mushrooms of choice then add ya onions and garlic back in then add DOUBLE cream and reduce sauce to desired thickness.
Remove ya loin to rest pour over sauce add what ever you want to go with it and slice when ready to eat. Makes a mess but worth it!
venison is wonderful. and I love the fact that hunters like to barter. an ounce of weed can get a fair bit of wild game if you grew it real good.

[MImedpatient said: "venison is wonderful. and I love the fact that hunters like to barter. an ounce of weed can get a fair bit of wild game if you grew it real good."

This is how I have kept my freezer full of venison, pig, salmon, and trout for the past 20 years! Looking forward to trying some of the above recipes! Hmmn, yummy!

Longball

I'll be making the pulled pork for the road trip I'm taking tomorrow, but I will be skipping the sauce as the loin I have is like two pounds. LOL

Birria, the *right* way.
Works perfectly as a enchilada sauce and is better than anything you've ever had at a mexican restaurant.

Take 3 dried Ancho chilis, 3 dried Pasilla chilis, 2 dried Japones, and 2 dried guajillo chilis.
Place in a good sized pan filled with very hot water and leave sit for about an hour to rehydrate them.
Drain and discard water, it's bitter and will do no good.

Put the chilis, stems and all (yup) in a food processor with about 2 teaspoons of mexican oregano (NOT mediterannian/italian).
About 1/2 teaspoon of Achiote paste (annato seed paste).
1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon corriander.
2 chipotle chilis from a can and about 2 tablespoons of the liquid from that can.
Blend well adding a bit of water if it doesn't blend to a reasonably smooth texture.
Pour into large crockpot.

You can use all sorts of different meats (goat is traditional) but a good london broil/flank/brisket just seem to work better for me.
Any reasonably fatty beef roast will do.
You'll want about 3 lbs. of whatever cut you choose.
Just plop it straight into the crockpot, you do not need to sear, but you can if you wish.
Add 4-5 bay leaves, about 15 black peppercorns (or equivalent fresh ground) and cover with chicken or vegetable stock.
Let cook on medium/low for at least 8 hours, more is better.

Remove the beef and put on platter.
Shred the beef with 2 forks and put back into the crockpot with the sauce and give it a stir to make sure the beef is well....uhh....lubricated.
Place into warmed corn tortillas with a bit of fresh chopped onion and cilantro....put a decent dollop of the sauce from the crockpot on top.

Njoy

Birria, the *right* way.
Works perfectly as a enchilada sauce and is better than anything you've ever had at a mexican restaurant.

Take 3 dried Ancho chilis, 3 dried Pasilla chilis, 2 dried Japones, and 2 dried guajillo chilis.
Place in a good sized pan filled with very hot water and leave sit for about an hour to rehydrate them.
Drain and discard water, it's bitter and will do no good.

Put the chilis, stems and all (yup) in a food processor with about 2 teaspoons of mexican oregano (NOT mediterannian/italian).
About 1/2 teaspoon of Achiote paste (annato seed paste).
1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon corriander.
2 chipotle chilis from a can and about 2 tablespoons of the liquid from that can.
Blend well adding a bit of water if it doesn't blend to a reasonably smooth texture.
Pour into large crockpot.

You can use all sorts of different meats (goat is traditional) but a good london broil/flank/brisket just seem to work better for me.
Any reasonably fatty beef roast will do.
You'll want about 3 lbs. of whatever cut you choose.
Just plop it straight into the crockpot, you do not need to sear, but you can if you wish.
Add 4-5 bay leaves, about 15 black peppercorns (or equivalent fresh ground) and cover with chicken or vegetable stock.
Let cook on medium/low for at least 8 hours, more is better.

Remove the beef and put on platter.
Shred the beef with 2 forks and put back into the crockpot with the sauce and give it a stir to make sure the beef is well....uhh....lubricated.
Place into warmed corn tortillas with a bit of fresh chopped onion and cilantro....put a decent dollop of the sauce from the crockpot on top.

Njoy

I feel its weird that goat isn't more common of a meat in the USA. it's a hardy animal, it tastes good, it will fuck up predators. they have cool horns, and square pupils, you can raise them everywhere. you can feed them hemp farm waste like you can other ruminants. they make fancy, wonderfully nutrient dense poop, that when composted, and used to grow weed, can create beautiful, great smoking flower.

I feel its weird that goat isn't more common of a meat in the USA. it's a hardy animal, it tastes good, it will fuck up predators. they have cool horns, and square pupils, you can raise them everywhere. you can feed them hemp farm waste like you can other ruminants. they make fancy, wonderfully nutrient dense poop, that when composted, and used to grow weed, can create beautiful, great smoking flower.
They also make annoying noises, smell like ass, and will eat anything near them (shoes, garden hoses, mudflaps off vehicles, you name it).
They also enjoy head butting you.
What's not to like ?

They also make annoying noises, smell like ass, and will eat anything near them (shoes, garden hoses, mudflaps off vehicles, you name it).
They also enjoy head butting you.
What's not to like ?

so its like an aangry cow. because if a cow loves you enough, you are at risk of being accidentally squished to death, and head butted w/ excitement. cows are like big dogs. which is why I am weirded out people will eat a cow, but not a deer "but its bambi!". Buttercup is 10 times as adorable as Bambi, and Buttercup is going to the slaughterhouse.

I've eaten so much venison that I no longer have a taste for it....except for my own teriyaki/black pepper venison jerky.
I do eat goat/lamb and really enjoy a good greek souvlaki or a *real* gyro (and I know enough that the correct pronunciation is 'yee roh').
Given a choice it's gotta be a buffalo steak or halibut fillet as my go to protein.
BTW, probably 90% or better of the venison I've had I took myself, Kansas deer get huge and are grain fed....and I am fully capable of the 800-1000 yard clean wheat field shot, 'cause you ain't getting any closer in the wide open fields here.
Halibut I catch off the Kenai when I'm up there. Best keep your fingers away, I've seen Halibut bite them off of people.

Back