The Secret of the 2 inch Bonsai Mother: A Pictoral Guide

.75 gal sounds right...its the hydrofarm emilys garden pot i think...it actually sucks for direct sun :mad: ...will def be changing over to all white...i was originally going to flower her out but decided to make a mom just to practice...shes out of control...will be taking a dozen or so cuts soon...actually have heard conflicting reports on jackie-o...we'll see...peace...elk..

Last edited:
Hi Elk,

Nice looking bonsai, However, with future bonsais, I would recomend keeping at least 1 pair of nodes from every branch pruned, that way the fresh vegitative growth will remain near the base of the trunk instead of continually migrating up an ever lengthening stem.

Last edited:
jh, thanks for this thread along with a big thank you to shanti for making these threads possible with the forums!!

i consider my self an Armchair grower as i dont keep mothers or take clones
i dont like this one bit.....anyway...
i grow out all of my beans from shanti, sometimes i have to much for the size of my flowering room
(4x 600w) = (36plants)
and most of the time i 'dont' have enough to put in (very annoying i can tell you!!)

this bonsai method i'm sure will give me confidence, (without taking too much precious space of my flowering room)
and help me on the right road to success of keeping prized cloned pheno's.
i'm already thinking of purchasing Dreamtime beans for this!!
double the excitiment of loosing my virginity of the momma/clone thing experience!!! lol

feel like watching 'the Karate kid' movie now!!! Mr myiagi and his bonsai tree's!

Last edited:
hey

Hey broseph, nice thread. I havent done anything with bonzai style before

but I think that I will because it makes it to where you can have your

mothers stored in a very small spot, and produce as many cuts as she can in

that small space. Well happy growin and smokin bro.

Peace out,

-MRGreenThum:D

Great thread Josh :)

I never really hacked up a rootmass, just sort of reached in there with my fingertips & jiggle-iggle-iggled roots free. I will be taking and holding a bunch of cuts that I will have to hold for a while as I'm evaluating clones starting this month. I think that I'll deffo try this for some of them. :D

Hey Josh and Everybody,

Figured I would bump this great thread after going back over it...I have done basically this to flowered out, harvested seed plants to reveg them and it works great! As soon as I get some resources, I'm gonna invest in a little propagator tent set up and start collecting mums...can't wait! Thanks Josh! Peace!

Excellent write up.... and much appreciated for the pdf. I've just emailed a copy to myself for keeping.

I've never had the room/facilities/lungs to keep x amount of Mums and being relatively new to GYO have always wanted to sample as many different strains... however a few years down the road there's one or two I wish I'd kept.

I've read about bonsai Mums but this is a great actual pic to see how you go about chopping that rootball.

thanks a million for this thread Joshua. I am going to learn this technique and use it this summer.

Amazing Guide

This guide has helped me a lot!

I always wanted to keep a mum for cuttings and save money in not having to buy more and more seeds. I failed in saving money as I am developing an addiction in having aaaaaaaall strains available and in stock ... hahah :D

But I failed not in getting cuts... my veg room got crowded with plants. Now, this presented me with new challenges.. I didn't know what to do without trashing some plants..

I finally found this guide.. keep bonsai mums...

at the moment I keep five plants in 2.5 inch pots and they are all looking very healthy and happy :) I topped them once and root pruned them once. I took no cuttings of them yet, as I have not enough space in my flowering room and there are some other plants waiting to fill in...

I think although I use this technique I planted a few seeds too much :p

Back