Switzerland Breeding Time and Italian genetics

Rhizome

Hi everyone,

A curiosity, which answer I probably already know. But I was wondering if during Shantibaba time in Switzerland breeding he come in contact with some Italian genetic, that somehow enter into his genetics or which he could work on?
I am specifically referring to the "Calcutta strain" or the "Ticino" varieties circulating during the '80-'90.

Any info very much appreciated

Thanks
R

Hi all

I never used anything from Italy in my work. I did know well Felix from Ticino and his strains . I also liked and grew and made seeds with Alpine Rocket from a French Swiss guy in the late 90s and early 2000s. But specific Italian strains I was not really aware of as most Italians came to Ticino to get their flowers and clones...so no I was not aware of Calcutta strain. Felix outsourced his strains from genetics around the world and unsure if he used any Italian lines. But he possibly could have as he had strains called

PURPUREA TICINENSIS

for example. Hope that helps all the best Sb

I still have some purpurea ticinesis somewhere, flavours were a tad muted if i recall correctly, but nevertheless great for northern outdoors.
Erdbeer was also great, which i think is an off shoot of purpurea ticinesis or maybe it's the other way around..
Both were very dominant in crosses..

Haven't seen esben online for a good few years..

Last edited:
Hi all

I never used anything from Italy in my work. I did know well Felix from Ticino and his strains . I also liked and grew and made seeds with Alpine Rocket from a French Swiss guy in the late 90s and early 2000s. But specific Italian strains I was not really aware of as most Italians came to Ticino to get their flowers and clones...so no I was not aware of Calcutta strain. Felix outsourced his strains from genetics around the world and unsure if he used any Italian lines. But he possibly could have as he had strains called

PURPUREA TICINENSIS

for example. Hope that helps all the best Sb
Many thanks Shanti to clarify, very much appreciated!!

I would like just to clarify a point and give to Italy a bit of honour for a missed strain:
The Calcutta strain arrived to Italy as Indian indica in the early '30 and used in the botanical garden of Naples for experiments till 2010.
The legend tell that after the 2WW some seeds have been stolen from the gardens and used and crossed with local sativa...the " Naples wharf" or the " Calabrese Rossa" ( 3 strains) have been originated from it ( my research arrive to this point).

Still investigating the history and preservation of several countries and the link to Felix could be an interesting step to figure it out about Italian/ticinian strain.

Many thanks again!!!

I still have some purpurea ticinesis somewhere, flavours were a tad muted if i recall correctly, but nevertheless great for northern outdoors.
Erdbeer was also great, which i think is an off shoot of purpurea ticinesis or maybe it's the other way around..
Both were very dominant in crosses..

Haven't seen esben online for a good few years..
This strains heard a you can find cbd dominance in some phenos.

I been looking to this strains and in a cross between this 2 you mention from in cannapot Erdbeer x Purpurea 09 . I so full of seeds but still want give them ago maybe in the future.
How you will describe them in taste and high?

This strains heard a you can find cbd dominance in some phenos.

I been looking to this strains and in a cross between this 2 you mention from in cannapot Erdbeer x Purpurea 09 . I so full of seeds but still want give them ago maybe in the future.
How you will describe them in taste and high?

Taste wise they're both very similar imo
An earthy herbaceous spice with coffee/chocolate, some light berry flavours in some individuals..
High was that of an Afghani, a nice mix of mind and body, not ludicrously potent, but not hemp either, definitely could be CBD dominant individual in the line..

If you're interested in these old swiss lines you should look up Outdoor king seeds, those guys have worked erdbeer into IBL..
One of the guys knopse, has been working with erdbeer since the early days..

Hope this helps.
Peace.

(Apologies in advance for recommending another seed company, i know some sites get funny about it)

Last edited:
Back