SSh BIG Deception.....i had an hermie that pollinised all my plants

this has been something discussed quite frequently and through mutliple pm's with members i am beginnning to think that the mother/father stock is getting to old and its showing up in herm traits to help the plants reproduce as they would in nature...this is just speculation but it is a decent idea that many others have begun to state as a possible problem

this has been something discussed quite frequently and through mutliple pm's with members i am beginnning to think that the mother/father stock is getting to old and its showing up in herm traits to help the plants reproduce as they would in nature...this is just speculation but it is a decent idea that many others have begun to state as a possible problem
Perhaps the mother/father plants will catch some disease eventually, but plant genetics don't deteriorate, as I understand it. Just like the thousands of cultivars that can only be propogated via cuttings and are still with us after, in some cases, thousands of years, there's no reason to think it would be different with cannabis. Shanti wrote an article on keeping mother plants in which he recommended time in the sun once a year to help keep them in good health and under minimal stress, meaning, I think, that there's nothing inevitible about a plant expiring if it can be kept perpetually in good health. I think it's true that having a sufficient number of cuttings (mothers) of the same plant in enough diverse locations, and having personnel that know how to care for them, a cannabis plant's existence could theoretically go on for as long as friendly environments were around to nurture it. If I'm not mistaken this is how Shanti ensures survival of his plant holdings (library).

Last edited:
gonna pop th rest of the ssh seeds i have....someone please convince me that ive just been unlucky with that hermie:(...

It could be that you were just unlucky on that plant. I honestly think that no matter the parents finding a hermi plant at some point would probably happen with any line and the fact that shantibaba is supplying probably in the ten of thousands of seeds that even if hermaphrodite only shows up 1 in 200 than and he's giving 18 or more seeds per pack than really 1 in 10 or 11 people will get a hermaphrodite plant. It just sucks if it was you and it does suck to have your plants accidentally pollinated. But you also have a one in 5 chance of finding a 1 in 100 keeper that would probably rival everything and be the new standard for other plants. It's numbers nature and luck you play with all three and I'm sure you'll find a winner. Good luck.

It could be that you were just unlucky on that plant. I honestly think that no matter the parents finding a hermi plant at some point would probably happen with any line and the fact that shantibaba is supplying probably in the ten of thousands of seeds that even if hermaphrodite only shows up 1 in 200 than and he's giving 18 or more seeds per pack than really 1 in 10 or 11 people will get a hermaphrodite plant. It just sucks if it was you and it does suck to have your plants accidentally pollinated. But you also have a one in 5 chance of finding a 1 in 100 keeper that would probably rival everything and be the new standard for other plants. It's numbers nature and luck you play with all three and I'm sure you'll find a winner. Good luck.

youre probly rite ,it just sucks cos this is the first female in flower from this pack,(and she was looking fine!!) ,just panicking cos 100 a lot to justify to the enemy(wife)lol,if it were say the 5th or 9th etc female tht showed hermie traits it wouldnt bother me! but its the first!:confused:bound to make u worried!l:)surely youd agree?tbf i paid for 15 seeds and got 18 so i should really shut up i spose!!!lol kgb
!!

Those herms are due to grower error. I am just saying....
erm..in a word ..No....ive been growing for over twenty years ,this past year alone ive done over 10 different strains from seed....blues,killer skunk,shit;grapefruit diesel,cheese,nep jam ,rks,shiva skunk ,hash plant and some of my own hacks and even super lemon haze from greenhouse (who are famous for their hermie tendancies)...and have found no hermies in any of em....believe me when i say its not grower error , so please dont insult my intelligence!!(ok,.. you can insult my spelling though!!)...kgb

The very first plant I grew from seed, strain called Sour Cream (DNA genetics) hermied in early flowering. Trying to remove all the male stuff seemed hopeless, so I cut it down and quarantined in an unused upstairs room. It might have been due to some mistake I made; at the time I was not that aware of things. A seed plant of a different strain next to it didn't hermie.

Back