SativaFan

Hi All:

dyjruytjrykutrlk57l5987l698l 578k578l 3iu 4iu3 3 u36u2u1

Last edited:
High Man

Any chance of an update,

I keep checkin your pics,lush lush lush & LUSH,

I would really like to Know how you keep them Girls so Happy:D & Healthy,

I really like your Plants Man,more info if you get time,please;)

Peace

Hey sativa fan

Hope all is well mate.

I would like to say that personally I d keep them pollinated ones , even if 'heavily' pollinated , I d keep em to try the pheno out, it might be really special and you might wanna end up re-vegging n keeping her for future grows.

Please do keep updating the thread , I believe lots would be interested in seeing how you grow em out, you seem to have te SSH dialed in your garden look very healthy n happy in the pics

Hi again buddy !

Hi l33t:

Thanks for stopping by. I guess I'm just depressed right now. I dropped off ICMAG...again. I can't handle arguing with children and I keep letting myself get sucked into discussions over there. It's pointless.

Thats exactly the very same reason I dont post myself there much .. even though I have registered since 2004 , got only few posts . I really miss OG and CW so much. Anyway for me I think you need to realize that half or more that the members in these big canna sites are just 'immature children'.

That and scrwing up my plants doesn't help. I'm not going to chop them. I do need avice as how long they should go though. Will trichomes change? Just let them grow as usual? The one pheno that looks NL?(inidca looking to me) looks like it may finish in 9-10 weeks. It's also the most heavily seeded one.

Yeah just let em grow as usual , and chop as you did with the first SSH you grew, let em fully ripe.Also the seeds need to be left to mature so you at least end up with some nice viable homegrown seed to try out. Yield of total calyxes/resin will be less but if you pollinated in the first ~ 2-3weeks of flowering , only the calyxes that existed at the time of the pollination will have been pollinated, all the new pistils&calyxes / newer growth wont have seed . So basically all the newest budshoots (post-pollination time) will be seedless , thats why if you want to get the max out of the situation , I 'd let em finish shooting new pistils completely and let all these 'new' calyxes swell and get frosty. So you ll end having 'sensi' buds that are only pollinated deep inside/more as you 'go' closer in their core an stem. And less seeds as you go closer to the outer part of the buds. If you chop early you ll end up chopping only the pollinated immature calyxes..while if you let em you get some good new seedless calyxes on 'top'.Hope this makes sense.

One thing you can do to gain some more actual 'bud' , is to feed a bit more N now to prolong the flowering a bit , to let more new shoots/growth appear. I would also go to 12/12 if you are in less hrs light/day regime now like 11/13 , doing this in order to prolong things even more, to let even more fresh shoots grow and finish.

I'll try to get this thread all updated with the pictures. Maybe people will learn from my mistakes. The two sativa doms are out of control as well. They are nearing 5 feet :( They stretched MUCH more than my plant last grow. Maybe because I fed them better.? They still look good. The NL one is VERY frosty. Even the seeded buds are really frosty. That's hopeful anyway.

I don't know about these modern strains but the old crappy looking sativas of the 60's and 70's were always seedy 50% of the bag was seeds and stems. The smoke was SUPERB though.

SF I would like to tell you one thing here..I believe that you will not find the high you look for in 50-60% sativa hybrids like SSH, MH etc.Might get near but not really close . These may be great hybrids , great producers , great potency taste etc BUT they have indica blood almost by 1/3 - 1/2 and also are 4way cross poly-hybrids, that means that the high will never be like a pure sativa's.

Im not saying that strains like SSH wont satisfy even a hardcore smoker ..I am just saying the high profile is definitely not like a pure or aaalmost pure sativa.

I d say if you are in the search of old school high go with a more sativa strain like shantis NevillesHazexMango or Neville's Haze (when back in stock). I am sure that these two strains especially the NevsHz have hidden gems that can be found with some selection.

Remember all these strains need GOOD selection from large number of idividuals . The reason is simple , we growers select differently to a smoker and always take into accound things like 'yield/flowering times/plant structure/resistance to pests , mould etc etc etc . We do not select only with smoke related criteria like potency / high profile , ceiling of the high and for me most importantly tolelarace factor. Some strains allow for fast tolerance built up / you become immune to the drug after constant daily use .

We growers take many growing related criteria into account when selecting.Ideally you not only want to find that 1 in 100 that has the high /taste/smell you wanted but as a grower you need to find te 1 in 1000 that carries these smoke related desired characteristics AND also carry growing related desirable characteristics.This makes the numbers go up..

And I have to say that after a coupel months of curing my SSH from last grow is decidely FAR better smoke than it was when first cut down and simply "dry". You were right.

Yes sativa and sativa hybrids like SSH do benefit from curing / aging ..more that indicas.Now you ve cured the first SSH a bit it would be nice to hear a detailed smoke report on her :)

I gave a small sample to a friend. He freaked out LOL!! He doesn't smoke near as much as I do. My SSH didn't/doesn't have much bag appeal. He wasn't too impressed until he took two good hits :))))))))))))) Potentcy is very good.

Now you ve cured the first SSH a bit it would be nice to hear a detailed smoke report on her

BTW the garden looks very nice.. dont worry about the pollination let em finish and try the phenos' smoke, if you find something special you can reveg etc.

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing all the pics :)

Great pics !! :)

They look very healthy and green ..lovely looking garden, I am certain that even if you ll get less yield due to seeds I am sure you ll be left with enough buds for smoking.Plus..some nice seeds too ;)

BTW if you have height restrictions , try to hang the light vertically (remove the reflector) and place the plants around it and tie their branches closer to their 'main stem'/center so you can fit em in the tent around the light and still have a safe zone of say 1foot distance from the bulb's glass to the plants' leaves.I am sure it will work great if you see the hazes get out of control.

Keep updating the thread , thanks again for sharing the pics.

It lookks very nice pheno ..sooo skinny leaves!

Hope she is a winner, the buds look nice and not too long and pointy , they are rounded and seems a nice yielder considering the hazy leaves .

Here is SSH2, the oldest by a week of the three plants. This is April 11, day 46 of 11/13 for her. The top of the green bamboo stakes is 40" above soil line. So you can see how large she has gotten in my small grow. She's a wonderful plant though. I think she'll smoke pretty good. She has buds everywhere. Not too bad in the resin department, but nothing like SSH5 which is very frosty.

SSH2 April 11, Day 46 of 11/13

0411_SSH2_1.jpg

0411_SSH2_2.jpg

0411_SSH2_3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola sativafan.. Ihave red you grow and pix and the work you are doing its good bro...I hop that you take this on a good way but its to early to pollo .. its take 4 week for the beans to be bean...when I make beans I pollo the flower only have some weeks left in flower time.. and let her runt until the buds its over flower... its no hurry you will not smoke the flower anyway......

if you whant to have a 100% healthiness on your grow then you have to move up your Lamp or check you het on the grow room....

the leaf on your plant are curling and tha its het problemand its lost of THC power and Yeald and its will be a waste of time...

Pleas take my view point right in a good way...we are her to help each other ....

Peace and love Mns

Hola amigo... its feels very nice now.. I whas little worried and know im glad after your answer man thanx:) ...
your temp "The temps are about 24-25C day temps and 21C nites" cant be more perfekt bro you know what you are doing :) ...
I think its the lamp its to close normal its about 1 m but the haze like it higher and more vertical...

Keep upp the good work man.... peace:)

I'm really amazed that SSH6 didnt get more pollinated. Very little indication of the accidental pollination the other two got. Maybe not mature enough back then, BUT the few small buds I hand pollinated are making seeds. Very mysterious to me. Any ideas?[/b]
0419_SSH25_1.jpg
Hi again SF

Pollen is very 'fragile' it needs specific environmental conditions to 'survive' and stay 'viable'. Humidity for example can affect it , thats why when you want to collect pollen for long term storage you need to make sure that you collect it with very low %RH close to 0% if possible.I ve heard that the pollen is viable for few days -1week max but I am not sure if its this the exact amount of time it lasts, I ve only read it.

So what seems to have happened is , the pollen you collected and used to manually selectively pollinate the ssh 6's budsites was viable but the pollen that accidentally pollinated the plants later seems to have a lower percentage of viability . I think the pollen that was released accidentally in the 'dark room' the male was kept lost viability so when t escaped the room and entered the flowering chamber it only pollinated only few calyxes and not as many as it would if it was collected straight from the flowers and used immediately (ie by taping the male flowers and collecting the pollen that falls from them).

Also don't forget that since the tent takes its intake from a hole in the tent and you have a extraction fan , that means that there's a certain flow of air in the tent , tis means that plants/budsites that were closer to the path of this air (carrying the males pollen that escaped from the male room) that is flowing from the tents intake to its outake have more chances of getting pollinated.

Well that makes some sense. SSH6 was furtherest from the air intake blower port. I had a filter on the intake blower too. That may have helped. The passive intakes on my hut I have pretty well blocked from any direct flow. That helped too.

It's OK. I won't have to worry about buying seeds for a LONG time if these mature well.

I'm not too picky about my weed now that I'm resigned to probably never being able to grow out anything exotic. ANYTHING I grow will be orders of magnitude better than anything in this part of the state from the dealers. I'm convinced my weed is far better.

I'm a perfectionist of sorts even if I'm not a very good grower just yet. I like growing the best plants I can with what I have. Anyway, I have 6 more Skunk Haze seeds. I can cross them with my SSH 2nd gen seeds(all three phenos seeded), and or with some good indica dom bagseed I have. The gentics from the Northern California bagseed shouldn't be related to SSH or Skunk Haze at all...or very distantly at best. So I should be able to continue to grow some decent weed for me and my Med patient girlfriend. Never know what might result from weird crosses.

I really think she should try some really powerhouse indica weed though. She has some severe pain problems at times...and I mean severe pain. Is Medicine Man a good choice or would one of the socalled pure Afghans be better?

I love my plants. I complain about how out of control, etc. they are, but I love growing them.

SativaFan

Spring???????????? We have a winter storm warning for tonight!!

SF

MedMan is supposed to be very good dealing with pain relief. Shanti said that many people that are doing chemotherapy to battle cancer find relief from Medicine Man's medical properties. I d give a good indica like MM a shot . Indicas are the way to go in order to fight pain .

Great updates

Hello SativaFan,

Looking real good man,

Many thanks for all the info,Hope they finish out well for you:D

Keep up the excellent show;)

Peace

Nice update man

The ssh look to be in good hands :) As for harvest time/maturity , I d say leave them to amber up bit more , maybe 30-40% amber then take her down. keep up it up

L33t

Seeds take a certain amount of time to mature from the moment the calyx gets pollinated. Since you're growing the plant for smoking the buds I d say harvest as usual , according to trichome maturity. If the pollination happened early on then some seeds might fall from their calyxes when you're close to harvest time , dont worry about that.If you had pollinated the plant a bit later the seeds would need some more time now , so generally , you should harvest as usual in my opinion.

Thank you l33t for the help and continued support over these last few months. And thanks those of you whom I've chatted with on here.

Good luck to all of you.

SativaFan

Back