So what about the Brazilian sativa?

Hi All

well unfortunately the story of the seed from Brazil that became the father of this union is nothing to really get excited about.

In 1987/88 I spent a year travelling through Peru, Ecuador, Columbia with my girlfriend. While in the Columbia section of the travel I got to Tyrone a mountain area near Santa Marta up north close to the Venezuela frontier...
We spent some time and a strong series of experiences with ethno botanics , namely San Pedro. A middle aged Brasilan who was living in the area became a good friend and we had alot of things in common. He was from the Amazon area in Brasil and had an IBL handed down for 3 generations of his family and in breed for quite alot of seasons in the same area by his people. It was foresure an IBL grown by the same people for years ...once I was able to grow it. This was the similarity of the Keralan IBL imo...
Both were not pure strains as they had been mixed over the years with the influences of selection depending upon the person who care taked them, but they had so many generations being grown by the same people in the same area they had taken on a new course and had become unique due to this fact.
So to the reason people see sativa phenotype in a packet of 15 seeds is very normal...in fact the girl I selected from the union of these two plants lines took well over 200 seeds trial and error. Not like the Super Silver Haze which took close to 1000 seeds trial and error and alot of years work for Nev.
But the most important thing that got the Widow down to 10 week flowering was to find one that expressed the indica phenotype in expression...taking a cut from the seed mother and flowering that which reduced the flowering time to 9-11 weeks. Also the plant does its thing the last 3 weeks so if you pull her early you will never see the real work it can do...
Many people over the years found a Widow that blasted them, but it was not every single seed that does this. It is also difficult to get all the elements correct straight up in a widow grow as the feeding varies depending upon the selected plant. So not making excuses to anyone as this strain has effected alot of growers positively but it is not as easy as Shit or Shark to get a very outstanding plant off the bat.

Really my Brazilan friend did not give it a name other than The One...his name to refer to it. So that is hopefully information to curb your inquisitiveness...but you must remember that the widow came from these two IBL and was made by over 2 years of inbreeding these two lines to find a male that inflenced all who it combined with...so here endeth the lesson according to me. By the way did any of the other people who claim to be widow breeders ever give a detailed account of the plants that lead to their so called version....because all I ever read is the description i wrote in 1995...regurgatated by people who never left their grow rooms and never sourced anything in their lives...but would be happy to be proven wrong!

All the best sb

awesome post Shanti i really enjoyed the history lesson...one of the few lines from you i have never worked...will get to her sooner of later thats for sure

Cheers, Shanti.

All this kind of info is really interesting and helps explain a few things here and there along the way.

It is also difficult to get all the elements correct straight up in a widow grow as the feeding varies depending upon the selected plant.

I've just come to this conclusion after trying to dial in some La Nina's I've started and now I know where it comes from. It caught me a bit by surprise as I haven't seen that kind of variation in feeding habits in a strain before.

Thanks for sharing the story. Keep 'em coming ;)

Great to hear about the Brazilian side of the BW. Thanks very much for sharing that Shanti. I'm also gonna grow the Ninas after I get through ma current bagseed grow so I'm so happy to now know about both sides of the Widow.

=D. So glad to hear that you're getting strong citrus from her. As I've said I'm fairly confident the brazilian is the manga, based on the sativa pheno of widow I've had. The manga is thought to be related to the african sativa Angola Roja .

Here's a shot of a manga @ 48 days:
manga%20rosa%2048%20days%201.jpg

And another @ 3 wks flower:
manga%20rosa%20week%203.jpg

Beautiful looking plants PP. Where's suburban? He wanted to know about the Brazilian sativa as well. Ye haven't turned up yet mate.

Last edited:
great

Very nice plant... Very nice info, Shanti!!!
Here "Manga Rosa" and "Cabeça de Nego" also become a popular name for good weed from North and Northeast.... But specially Manga Rosa is one sativa queen caracterized by a real taste and flavour of mango. :)

Hi All

well unfortunately the story of the seed from Brazil that became the father of this union is nothing to really get excited about.

In 1987/88 I spent a year travelling through Peru, Ecuador, Columbia with my girlfriend. While in the Columbia section of the travel I got to Tyrone a mountain area near Santa Marta up north close to the Venezuela frontier...
We spent some time and a strong series of experiences with ethno botanics , namely San Pedro. A middle aged Brasilan who was living in the area became a good friend and we had alot of things in common. He was from the Amazon area in Brasil and had an IBL handed down for 3 generations of his family and in breed for quite alot of seasons in the same area by his people. It was foresure an IBL grown by the same people for years ...once I was able to grow it. This was the similarity of the Keralan IBL imo...
Both were not pure strains as they had been mixed over the years with the influences of selection depending upon the person who care taked them, but they had so many generations being grown by the same people in the same area they had taken on a new course and had become unique due to this fact.
So to the reason people see sativa phenotype in a packet of 15 seeds is very normal...in fact the girl I selected from the union of these two plants lines took well over 200 seeds trial and error. Not like the Super Silver Haze which took close to 1000 seeds trial and error and alot of years work for Nev.
But the most important thing that got the Widow down to 10 week flowering was to find one that expressed the indica phenotype in expression...taking a cut from the seed mother and flowering that which reduced the flowering time to 9-11 weeks. Also the plant does its thing the last 3 weeks so if you pull her early you will never see the real work it can do...
Many people over the years found a Widow that blasted them, but it was not every single seed that does this. It is also difficult to get all the elements correct straight up in a widow grow as the feeding varies depending upon the selected plant. So not making excuses to anyone as this strain has effected alot of growers positively but it is not as easy as Shit or Shark to get a very outstanding plant off the bat.

Really my Brazilan friend did not give it a name other than The One...his name to refer to it. So that is hopefully information to curb your inquisitiveness...but you must remember that the widow came from these two IBL and was made by over 2 years of inbreeding these two lines to find a male that inflenced all who it combined with...so here endeth the lesson according to me. By the way did any of the other people who claim to be widow breeders ever give a detailed account of the plants that lead to their so called version....because all I ever read is the description i wrote in 1995...regurgatated by people who never left their grow rooms and never sourced anything in their lives...but would be happy to be proven wrong!

All the best sb

Shanti,
Thanks so much for sharing. Any shots of the mom? Tell us anything about her? I'm still hunting the soaring mango flavored widow I had years ago. Hopefully the manga rosa is a close representation of the brazilian you discovered.

Last edited:
going to try to let her stretch to 11 weeks.

smells are just stronger now, nothing new, a lot of orange. :D

she's def not like any of the others, i would say she would rather grow wide then tall, super brancy and squat plus an almost 80 day sativa! Found my keeper for sure.

Attachments

• brazwidow2.jpg
    brazwidow2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 117
  • brazmom.jpg
    brazmom.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 57
Nice BW coop. I got one that looks very much like that first pic, at least to my eye. Started to hermy on me so I stuck it outside. It's still going and finishing nicely. Mine should be done in another week or two, so about 80 days of flower.

Here she is at day 64:

hemphrey-bogart-albums-black-widow-picture5182-img-3318.jpg

Little foxtailing going on...

hemphrey-bogart-albums-black-widow-picture5183-img-3330.jpg

HB.

Last edited:
cohiba "mom" of white widow?

Saved a couple of landrace sats in the last decade--Blue Mountain Jamaica and a Brazilian plant called Cohiba (claimed to be 1/2 of the White Widow cross)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/hello-from-trinityalps.17110/

cohiba is also considered a brazilian strain..shatibaba at mns seeds ( the original white widow now called black widow owner) has stated on his forum that the grower he ( shanti) got the ww mum from did not state the strain name of ww mum, only that it was a brazilian strain. many believed the brazilian unknown strain to be manga rosa but the actual parentage is still unknown.

3. Cohiba of Paraguayan phenotype: Main cola no longer pointed, getting round and thick. Most side branch buds still pointed. Bud growth slowing down. Calyxes swelling very large, even though pistils are still very alive and healthy.

Crystals: Very thick and developed on calyxes as they swell. Buds looking almost silver.

Smoke taste: Earthy, tobacco like taste. Stronger taste than Columbian, with slight hash under taste.

High: Level, even high. Around even level of indica body stone and sativa head stone. Good high, constant, level for several hours.

Final yield prediction: Think it will be best yielder, 80+ grams.

Same with the Columbian and Paraguayan Cohiba. That is why I was totally shocked to look at the Brazilian Cohiba and see most early hairs have died and buds beginning to ripen. An 82% sativa plant that grows like a skunk, but starts finishing before near 100% indicas? That is something I have never seen before

Brazilian pheno (1 plant), seems to be finishing very, very early. Stretch of buds appear to have stopped, now buds growing in tight, round indica like ball buds. This plant showing best crystal development. Negative side is that final yeild now looks like it will be small.

Paraguayan pheno (1 plant). Stretch of main cola has stopped, now tip is growing round and whole cola growing fatter. Smaller side branches still have sharp tips. Calyxes swelling to good size, turning silver with crystals. Looking like pictures of AK47 I have seen.

Colombian pheno (2 plants). All buds tips still pointed and stretching. Calyxes not yet swelling, crystals not yet developed. With luck, these two are just slower finishers and will start showing crystal developement in the next few weeks.

1.Cohiba of Columbian phenotype (two plants): Early flowering, all pistils still alive and vibrant. Classic spear shaped buds. Buds not very dense, some oldest calyxes swell, but not many.

Crystals - None on sun leaves, starting to show on smallest bud leaves, best on main cola.

Smoke taste - Light, slight earthy, natural tobacco like taste. Smooth.

High - Very good and strong, even at early flowering. Energetic, electric feeling. Could be paranoid for new smoker, not a problem for me. Most special part of high is the length. Went to bed five hours after two small one hitters, was very high. Woke up eight hours later, 11 hours after smoking, still feeling good buzz and had a high hangover. Eat, drank, slept more, and exercise to wear out high before going to work. High finally gone 13 hours after smoking. Finished buds might be weekend weed only.

Final yield prediction - should be good, three more weeks may harvest around 50 dry grams per plant.

Breeding potential- EXCELLENT. Will be main breeding stock.

Columbian Cohiba at six weeks was much more powerful than Nam Black buds at 10 weeks. Finished Columbian buds may be VERY strong.

^https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/cohiba.27193/

a Brazilian plant called Cohiba (claimed to be 1/2 of the White Widow cross)

^if this is true then this is a landmark discovery. :) .

The Father of White Widow

^ic mag thread on this subject:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221863&highlight=father

he south indian hybrid originated from Kovalum Beach, but actually was grown in the mountains of Kerala. It was one of the most knock out effects of all time for me, so I went on safari and into the mountains to find it.After a few days of biking up to the area on my old Enfield I was lucky enough to be sitting in a cafe drinking a chai and smoking a joint. A middle aged looking glassy eyed fellow came over to me and shared my joint. We got pretty wasted and drank tea then he took me back to his village and onto his farm.It turned out this fella was the grower of this strain , and he recognized the smell...sometimes you get lucky! Anyhow I stayed there for several days and went through alot of testing with him. He did not really know alot but selected for the resin production.Considering it is high up and tropical it grew like a sativa but finished alot earlier. He told me the seed had always been in his village but was slightly different depending upon the village you went to to get your things. It was not a big yielder but it was uniquely scented and incredibly pretty frosting as the plant completed it cycle.

Hope that helps a little...all the best Sb

^ shanti on the ww dad:http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/black-widow/6130-about-black-widow-2.html

Really my Brazilan friend did not give it a name other than The One...his name to refer to it. So that is hopefully information to curb your inquisitiveness

^shanti on the ww mom:http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/black-widow/1804-so-what-about-brazilian-sativa-3.html

a Brazilian plant called Cohiba (claimed to be 1/2 of the White Widow cross)

^if this is true then this is a landmark discovery. .

very interesting!

Last edited:
Hi All

All the best sb
Good info

Hi All

All the best sb
** Mic drop! **

awesome origin story!!

A great thank you Shanti, for sourcing this marvel and even greater thanks for taking time to make this post!
Hi All

All the best sb

Back