Seed finishing and cureing

Trickcomanche

Not sure if this has been coverd or not, more than likely has.

So I've been doing some pollen chucking for the last 7 years or so. Now that I have seed stock from when I started, I'm wanting to get into them. I'm finding that close to 20% of the seed won't crack, and 50% or so of those that crack don't have the strength to kick themselves out of the shell.

Now I'm not sure if it's how I dired and cured the seeds or if it's my storage method. They are being stored in an airtight plastic bin with loose rice at the bottom of it and all seeds are in at least zip locks. It sits in my closet in the dark and is fairly temperatures consistent.

Is there a thred where Shanti goes over what he does for his seeds?

Not sure if this has been coverd or not, more than likely has.

So I've been doing some pollen chucking for the last 7 years or so. Now that I have seed stock from when I started, I'm wanting to get into them. I'm finding that close to 20% of the seed won't crack, and 50% or so of those that crack don't have the strength to kick themselves out of the shell.

Now I'm not sure if it's how I dired and cured the seeds or if it's my storage method. They are being stored in an airtight plastic bin with loose rice at the bottom of it and all seeds are in at least zip locks. It sits in my closet in the dark and is fairly temperatures consistent.

Is there a thred where Shanti goes over what he does for his seeds?
Hi Trickcomanche,
Once I have separated the seed from the dry plant I let air dry at room temperature for a week or more.
I then take seeds , handful at a time, on a dry towel and rub around until they are clean.
I then store in glass jars in the refrigerator.
Long term storage is best with a double bagged vacuum sealed bag in small numbers for future use.
Deep freeze not frost free freezer!
Good luck đź‘Ť

Hi All

well since I just sent some seed recently to a chap from 2002 stock that had been kept in a fridge all its life...and had very good germination levels I believe the methods of long term storage are as follows....

1. We keep 2 stocks of seeds, i for the everyday use and 1 for long term use.
2. Long term use means vacuum sealing the seed in small quantities in an air tight , moisture resistant plastic bag and kept in the freezer.
3. Short term use is keeping seeds dry in air tight containers, always put back in fridge when not in use.
4. Point about long term stock you cannot defreeze seed only one time and then keep it is the fridge stock, till it is used.

We have seeds from 30 or 40 years ago still in fridges and even if germination is lower it still pops up a few ...so it all works for us.

Be well all the best sb

Back