Search for Punto Rojo

Aloha Braddahs!

Thin leaf varieties rule! And these chosen plants are coming along nicely! A long pull but there really isn’t a quick solution to these old world sativas. Fine wine and diamonds! It is a blessing to have a brother on this site exploring these long maturing plants and sharing what is found as no one else is currently doing that on this site. In a field fraught with myths and hyperbole, I appreciate Marcus’s willingness to explore using scientific methodologies to validate his various hypotheses through testing and documentation. The graphs he provides are helpful in further understanding.
Patience, tenacity, trial and error, documentation; a great way to not step in it again, to grasp a deeper understanding, and to succeed where others fail. NICE to see you kickin it here on this site!

Shaka
Mu

~ 5 weeks

Many thanks for the positive vibes and words of encouragement, my MNS brothers. This one is a quick update at 5 weeks.

After five weeks, I think this batch of sativas is nearly done stretching. All plants went into 12/12 as clones 2" tall or less, and they now average about 55" tall. Light cycle is now 11/13 and will remain there for another month or so.

It's also possible the stretching slowed just because they were nearing the end of the stretch naturally.

I think that may be the case...

PD_stretch_plot_F36.jpg

The tent is crowded but still manageable. Most of the plants have been trained, and it's a relatively uniform canopy (for landrace sativas) other than the occasional branch tip that pokes its head up.

Puntodorado_females_F36.jpg

Aromas are lovely but still faint. Not much resin yet. Lots of little fluffy proto buds everywhere. Here's what a typical apical cola looks like. They should be as long as my forearm in another 12-15 week.

PD_cola_F35.jpg

I'm feeding them Jack's 3-2-1 diluted down to 550 ppm at pH = 6.2. Any guidance from the haze growers here on when to dial back the nitrogen and how much? I'm thinking to feed them 3-1.5-1 starting in week 6, then 3-1-1 in week 10, then 3-0.5-1 in week 14 followed by a long flush to the finish to bring out the gold colors. I appreciate any helpful feeding advice. Thanks.

I had a nice moment today that allowed me to share these special Colombian genetics. My hot water tank is acting up so I had my boiler service guy come out. He's seen my grow setup and told me he's been growing outdoors. Today he showed me pictures of a greenhouse he's building, with about 12 feet of headroom. His neighbor is setting him up with modern polyhybrids to grow, and I asked him if he wanted to try to grow an old-school sativa. I had 4 seed plants waiting for the compost pile, so I gave him Puntodorado #6, currently my favorite. Told him I'll have Lumbo pollen available if he wants to make seeds. Explained the time-machine aspects of this weed and the Colombian gold seeds frozen for 40 years. He had heard CG was legendary and unobtainium. He was extremely happy to receive this plant for his greenhouse this year, and promised me some of the bud. I told him to limit pot size to 5-gal or less and that he'll need some supplemental heat at night to get it to finish in December.

Just yesterday I gifted some LaNina seeds to a friend's friend who will grow them outdoors this year at 42N. If I can get pics of these grows I'll post them.

Cast your bread on the water...

Looking great marcus! Nice how you`ve bend them to get an even field. And a big up for all the patience you must have growing out these sats. :cool:

Im always up for LaNina pics so hope you`ll be able to share some off those.

GreetzZ

~ 7 weeks

Thanks Byorn! I'm looking forward to tryig some La Nina, and I need to dig into the details of your awesome thread...been busy here.

The tent is once again packed with five jungle sativas! So packed that it's a pain in the ass to get in there to measure plant height and check out the girls, which is complicated now that the apical colas are trained (somewhat) horizontally. So far they are all sexually stable, and at least one of them is starting to show the red pistils from the punto rojo mother. Odors and resin are slowly developing, and I think the '78 CG male has brought improved aromas to this cross.

I was disappointed to find a bit of PM on some of the leaves, mostly the ones that have been squished against the tent walls. I have no environmental control in my basement grow area I think this damn cold weather has made life easier for PM. All I could do was spray a little HOCl on the affected areas, give a fulvic foliar spray, and hope for the best. Fucking PM has been the bane of my growing existence for the last 6 months.

Last night I pollinated two lower branches on each plant with pollen I had frozen; 1.5-year-old puntobiche pollen and the remainder of the '78CG pollen from last September. The (TLT punto rojo x '78 Colombian Gold) x (CBG punto rojo x CBG mangobiche) is a nice mashup of the Colomban genetics I've grown. The backcross to the '78CG father should be interesting to grow out, with 75% 1978 CG genetics. I'll collect pollen from PD4 and PD5 and hit the girls with that stuff in a couple weeks so I can have some puntodorado F2s to play with and share.

The stretch is over, although PD2, the most vigorous plant, has continued to extend its apical cola. Here's the final plot.

PD_stretch_plot_F48.jpg

Here are the puntodorado plants at 7 weeks. I forgot to take a picture of PD10.

PD1 at 7 weeks

PD1_F48.jpg

PD1_cola_F48.jpg

PD2 at 7 weeks

PD2_F48.jpg

PD2_cola_F48.jpg

PD6 at 7 weeks

PD6_F48.jpg

PD6_cola_F48.jpg

PD9 at 7 weeks

PD6_F48.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha braddahs and Marcus!

Somewhat eclectic, these people; the keepers and cultivators of such seed. All Hail!
Continued nice work on these Marcus! The pics give a good idea of complete morphology down to close ups of slender bracts. The long branches remind me of much earlier years, throwing seed in the canyons of So. Cal, returning later to find these huge bushes down by drying creeks.

If I may butt in for a moment, first off, bigger tent! :D IMHE, proper ventilation, minimum temperature variation, silicates. A good dehumidifier (with hose hook-up preferred) and an air purification system should be considered. My hepa filtered air purifier was a game changer. And you were wondering what to do with that $1200 you just rec'd from the man :cool:

Shaka
Mu

Basements are notorious for the fungi.

If you have your extraction fan set to turn off at sundown, that's a problem I have seen multiple times in colder climates. The temperature drop causes condensation.

Best of luck. :)

~ 8 weeks

I appreciate the words of advice and encouragement,Fish, Musashi and PMB.

My grow environment is improving with the more seasonal warmer weather, and a couple new goodies for the garden. The girls are coming along nicely in early-mid flower. Exquisite aromas and resin production increasing. Tonight I'll switch from 11/13 to 10/14 light cycle, and my next batch of nutes will be Jack's mixed at 3-1-1. I'll pull the girls out of the tent to further them soon, but it's fraught with the danger of damaging colas, as the plants are so large and intertwined. Yesterday I collected the remainder of the pollen from PD5 and a big batch of fresh pollen from PD4. I have also found yet another male, PD8. That was one of the clones that didn't take initially, so I stuck another rooted clone of him in the flower tent and he's a boy. Until I get a better look at him as he matures, PD4 is my keeper male. Here are a couple pics of PD4 at 8 weeks. Nice earthy aromas and pretty good bud structure. He has better resin than PD5, but I have yet to find a sativa male with a lot of resin, although I usually culll them long before senescence.

PD4_F56.jpg

PD4_F56b.jpg

Nice work. I hope to follow in your footsteps. I’m finishing up 8 autoflowers and got 4 OG Kush Feminized going.

Soon as autoflowers are harvested, I’m going old school, and you are an inspiration

~ 9 weeks

BuzzardsBay, thanks for the compliment! Fish, your wish is my command!

Here are some pics of the puntodorado girls I took last night at 9 weeks. They've been on 11/13 since week 5, and I'm going to reduce the light cycle by 15 minutes per week until they finish, so should finish at close to 8/16. I've read that decreasing the light cycle in this way promotes good resin density. I'm feeding them Jack's 321 and have reduced the nitrogen in the formula down to 3-1-1, and I'm planning on a long (5-6 week) flush to try to bring out the colors in the CG-leaning plants.

Been battling some PM but the situation is much improved and appears to be under control as I've made some improvements to my humidity situation. I've pollinated lower branches on all the girls and will have a lot of seeds to play with, including some backcross seeds made with the remaining frozen pollen from last September. Knock on wood, I have not seen a single intersex issue in this batch, yet, which is remarkable for a Colombian landrace. Selecting a sexually stable mother helped, and maybe the hybridization helps to keep intersex issues at bay.

PD1
PD1_F64_cola.jpg

PD2 This plant is a vigorous beast. Great aromas.
PD2_F64.jpg

PD2_F64_cola.jpg

PD6 The aromas from this plant remain my favorite.
PD6_F64_cola.jpg

PD9 This one is developing beautiful red pistils in the tips of the buds just like her punto rojo mom.
PD9_F64.jpg

PD9_F64_cola2.jpg

PD10 Another vigorous beast. Will probably be the first to finish, maybe around 16 weeks.
PD10_F64.jpg

PD10_F64_cola.jpg

~ 11 weeks

Thanks for stopping by, Mu and Fish!

Just a quick, pictureless update coming up on week 11. As nitrogen is reduced (feeding Jack's at 3-0.5-1 now), the lower fan leaves are yellowing and dropping off. Resin and aromas are now developing rapidly. Trichomes are all clear, of course, and I'm seeing good resin density in the buds. The branches I pollinated are heavy with seed and red pistils, while the unseeded buds are still pumping out pure white to cream colored pistils. Aromas are lovely, dominated by lime and more complex fragrances that I can't yet discern. The '78 CG has brought good things to this sativa hybrid; these plants have richer and more interesting fragrances than their punto rojo mother. Surprisingly, I have not yet seen a single male flower. Difficult to keep humidity down in my basement, but the PM has been mostly eliminated. Bigger dehumidifier arrives today, which should make it easier to keep humidity close to 50% and PM at bay.

Last night i snipped a couple calyxes from one of the plants, and smoked one puff this morning. Considering the small dose and that the herb I sampled is just a little more than half done, it had a very nice quality effect. Mellow yet energetic buzz, a little dreamy, with potential for a little trippiness down the road. No body to this high; it's all in the head. A while later I took one puff of some puntodorado male flower I had dried and the high went to the next level. I'm pretty confident this will be exceptional herb after harvest and a good cure. Now I just have to harness my xi and be patient as the colas swell for another 6-10 weeks.

Something that just slapped me around the ears....
I've got 2 different grows of the mid west ditch weed going right now, both outdoors in full sun...both in areas where it's hot as hell with blistering sun.
Both grows are very dense plants, no more than 1 inch between nodes, extremely bushy and very well branched, very strong stalks.
Absolutely full blooded sativa, very long slender leaves that have that appearance of stretching to spread open the fingers of the leaves....difficult to describe what I mean....striving to splay open ?

I've grown lots of lumbo over the years but never in the heat and sun that I have available to me now. They never looked as dense as these plants even though they seemed dense to me at the time.

What I'm getting at it...being equatorial in nature perhaps more light and heat will cut down the stretch ?
I know it sounds the reverse from how we all grow indoors (enough light and keeping the heat down)....but these plants were never acclimated to 75-80F...they love heat and I'm talking it's 102F here today and the plants have those praying leaves wanting more...more...more.
It's kinda fun to see the tops follow the sun thruout a days traverse...just like sunflowers.

Anyway, just maybe an idea for a future run.

~ 11 weeks

Aloha, Sensient, and thanks for the props. N2, I think these plants will like heat more than they do cold. My New England basement temp is only now inching up towards 70F, and the plants are definitely happier. I wish I could grow sativas outdoors or in a greenhouse, it really is a lot of work indoors.

I only took one pic last night when I pulled the puntodorado girls out of the tent to look them over. The aromas are now coming into their own. Definitely lime, with some earthiness and light floral fragrances. So completely unlike the stinky OG and chem stuff that's so prevalent, really beautiful and complex sativa aromas. The relative flowering speed of these plants can now be discerned; PD10 is definitely the fastest, and looks like it will finish in week 14 or 15 based on darkening pistils and cloudy trichs. I started flushing it last night and it will get nothing other than dehumidifer water from now on. PD6 isn't too far behind PD10; maybe a 15-16 week plant. She's also getting only water from here on. The picture below is PD6 at F78. The remaining girls are still shooting snow-white pistils and are going to go 18+ weeks. I'm at 10.5/14.5 light cycle now and am reducing light by 15 minutes per week.

PD6_cola_F78.jpg

Typos suck. 12/12 for first 5 weeks. Then 11/13 for four weeks. Then began reduced light cycle 15 minutes every week. I'm at 10.5/13.5 currently. I'll stop reducing the light cycle when it gets down to 8/16.

Back