Sacred Cacti

Shrimp&Grits

Rather than muck up Vlad’s “cubensis shrooms” thread with cactus talk, I’ll make my own.
Everyone is encouraged to share pics, stories comments.
I currently am the faithful caretaker of three Peyote (Lophophora Williamsii) cacti. Federal law in the USA has peyote as a schedule 1. Possession is a crime. The US government recognizes the Native American Church (NAC) as an exemption to this if used for religious ceremonies, with stipulations. It’s my understanding that 7 states have laws that allow people to use them for religious ceremonies (also with stipulations) regardless of their ethnicity or affiliation with the NAC. Yet these state laws do not supersede federal law, so good luck with that.
I’ve had these wonderful plants around three years, purchased as babies from a more forgiving country than my own. As I look at them now I find them each a slightly different size/age. Each pot is 3.25” wide at the top.
B8122CE9-79A0-4904-9129-444530C018F8.jpeg
277EF17A-D774-4640-BAC3-11CC91CEB930.jpeg
B3A5A0EF-D282-49DF-A9F0-F7B1CF30EE6F.jpeg“Number of ribs correlates with age and size of the plant, and is a metric that is easy to apply in the field. Small seedlings are usually 5-ribbed, and very old large “grandfather” plants have 13 ribs.” This quote is taken from Anya Ermakova, Ph.D. a conservation biologist, researching peyote ecology in the USA with Prof. Martin Terry. She is part of Chacruna's Council for the Protection of Sacred Plants.

I would like to grow some San Pedro and Peruvian Torch some day as well, hopefully soon.
Growing peyote to me is therapeutic. I always smile when I see these plants. They help me as I help them.
Cheers all

Rather than muck up Vlad’s “cubensis shrooms” thread with cactus talk, I’ll make my own.
Everyone is encouraged to share pics, stories comments.
I currently am the faithful caretaker of three Peyote (Lophophora Williamsii) cacti. Federal law in the USA has peyote as a schedule 1. Possession is a crime. The US government recognizes the Native American Church (NAC) as an exemption to this if used for religious ceremonies, with stipulations. It’s my understanding that 7 states have laws that allow people to use them for religious ceremonies (also with stipulations) regardless of their ethnicity or affiliation with the NAC. Yet these state laws do not supersede federal law, so good luck with that.
I’ve had these wonderful plants around three years, purchased as babies from a more forgiving country than my own. As I look at them now I find them each a slightly different size/age. Each pot is 3.25” wide at the top.
View attachment 49252
View attachment 49253
View attachment 49254“Number of ribs correlates with age and size of the plant, and is a metric that is easy to apply in the field. Small seedlings are usually 5-ribbed, and very old large “grandfather” plants have 13 ribs.” This quote is taken from Anya Ermakova, Ph.D. a conservation biologist, researching peyote ecology in the USA with Prof. Martin Terry. She is part of Chacruna's Council for the Protection of Sacred Plants.

I would like to grow some San Pedro and Peruvian Torch some day as well, hopefully soon.
Growing peyote to me is therapeutic. I always smile when I see these plants. They help me as I help them.
Cheers all

It's been that way for thousands of years.

History of Peyote and Mescaline Use Ancient and Modern - Peyote and Mescaline (drugtimes.org)

One recent group of archeologists and ethno-botanists found some fossilized peyote cactus in a cave near the Rio Grande in Texas, and carbon dated the fossil back to approximately 3700 B.C. Amazingly, the mescaline chemical contained in the cactus was still intact.

slabsofdank, "You ever read any of the books by Carlos Castaneda? One of my favorite authors."

I read every one of them! Not sure if they were entirely true but great reading and very thought provoking. Might have read them 4 times each, couldn't get enough!

Longball

Carlos Castaneda, not a name I hear much anymore. I read The Teachings of Don Juan and The Fire Within, I enjoyed them both but like LB said, I season his “non-fiction” with a fat pinch of salt. I want to find a copy of Journey to Ixtlan.
Gimme Huxley all day.
Thanks for the link, good info. Fossilized peyote, I’d hit it

rsz_20210110_175132.jpg

Got this San Pedro from a friend earlier in 2020 and planning to consume it in a year from now. The baby cactus showed up a few weeks ago and I'm transplanting it to another pot in a few weeks. This one has been outside since I got it and grew +/- 10cm per month so hopeful to have a ceremony somewhere in a year from now ;)

@Shrimp&Grits Thanks for starting this thread, let's keep each other updated about our progresses.

Great specimen, my friend. I have not ingested any San Pedro. I would like to understand the different sensations felt from the alkaloids in peyote and San Pedro. I know they both contain mescaline, yet I would think the experience to be different due to the different (other than mescaline) alkaloids contained in each. Somewhat how Sativas and Indicas both contain THC, yet the varying combinations or differences of their other than THC compounds drastically change the effect we feel.
Will stay in touch 👍

Hi All

Think San Pedro in Peru in 1987/1988 travel adventure changed my life forever...could not stop smiling for a month after....simply the most organic a human could ever feel. But the cactus needs to be at least 4 years old, and you need about a forearm length worth per person...I did this in a seaside village called Huanchaco near Trujillio. Still in contact with 3 out of the 5 people who we did it with...absolutely my medicine of choice is mezcaline when doing the experience....with mushrooms close second!

Shantibaba....

Hi All

Think San Pedro in Peru in 1987/1988 travel adventure changed my life forever...could not stop smiling for a month after....simply the most organic a human could ever feel. But the cactus needs to be at least 4 years old, and you need about a forearm length worth per person...I did this in a seaside village called Huanchaco near Trujillio. Still in contact with 3 out of the 5 people who we did it with...absolutely my medicine of choice is mezcaline when doing the experience....with mushrooms close second!

Shantibaba....

Thanks Shanti! Good to know the cactus needs to be at least 4 years old so this will be something for 2023 :)

Anyone likes Salvia Divinorum? I've had some crazy but amazing trips on it while becoming one with all of Creation...

Watched the Hamilton's video, very interesting, never heard of using Xenon. The Hamilton guy/show seems good too. I'll get to the shaman show soon, thanks for sharing

@High-mish
Anyone likes Salvia Divinorum? I've had some crazy but amazing trips on it while becoming one with all of Creation...
I remember 20 or 30 years ago somebody telling me about his experience. He had met up with some entity who told him he had no business being wherever he was. I knew then that if I was ever to try, it should be under the guidance of someone trustworthy with good experience. Havent really heard much about it since

Watched the Hamilton's video, very interesting, never heard of using Xenon. The Hamilton guy/show seems good too. I'll get to the shaman show soon, thanks for sharing

@High-mish

I remember 20 or 30 years ago somebody telling me about his experience. He had met up with some entity who told him he had no business being wherever he was. I knew then that if I was ever to try, it should be under the guidance of someone trustworthy with good experience. Havent really heard much about it since

Yes, definitely a good idea. I inhale for as long as I can and then sink into the most amazing kaleidoscopic trip.. It's also a very physical experience but luckily doesn't last too long (max. 1 hour). I also think I wouldn't be able to handle more than an hour of this :)

Hey, always interesting when it comes to the spirit plants

I was an avid collector for many years
I mainly collected Trichs.
Never really got into the Lophs...very slow growers
I collected and care took for a large range of Trichs... Bridgesii, Peruvian us, pachs ect
Had a few hundred at one point
They put off such an amazing vibe, they are truelly special to be around
Unfortunatly they ended up being neglected due to life events, so I passed them around different collectors
Fortunatly I can get cuts whenever I want
I personally found the Bridgesii to be the best for journeying
They are the most consistent for potency...Needing around a foot for a powerful experience
The Pachs...especially the P.C,s are very week
Peruvianus can vary so much from specimen to specimen...very hit and Miss
We have a Bridgesii cut over here called Eileen...she has made it over to the states now and is a favoured cut
I kept a few around....A Bridgesii Eileen...Hans and Tim..all Aussie named cuts
I also hrlt onto a T.B.M short form(T.Bridgesii Monstrosa)
Also have experience with Salvia
Had the McKenna cut
Lost her last year after around 11 years

I've got a few pics

Back