RIP Willie Mays

musashi

Site Moderator
Staff member
I had the honor of meeting The Say Hey Kid in Cooperstown 2x’s during HOF weekends. He was such a gentleman, had a great sense of humor, and those 10-20 seconds we had with him to sign a ball and a lithograph was priceless. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take pictures with him due to his eye condition. He told me a story about when he first played with Tom Seaver, who he called Spanky, on the Mets that turned out to be such a great story that when I told Seaver six months later “Hey Spanky, Willie says Hi”, his jaw dropped, and he told us the greatest 10 minute story.
RIP Willie
image.jpgimage.jpg

Rickwood Field's legendary history: How Willie Mays and the Negro Leagues made the iconic stadium home​

The Giants and Cardinals will play at the oldest professional ballpark on Thursday​

He was a childhood hero along with Satchel Paige. RIP brothers.
Mine too Mu. I loved the basket catches he would make and tried to imitate them when I was in Little League late 50’s early 60’s. He was a nice guy too and seemed like a happy man. I’m more of a SF Willie Mays fan but still liked him as a Met.

Willie Mays and Satchel Paige.

Willie Mays describing when, as a 17-year-old, faced 42-year old Satchel Paige for the first time:

"It was 1948. Satchel had a very, very good fastball... but he threw me a little breaking ball, just to see what I could do, and I hit it off the top of the fence. I got a double. When I got to second, Satchel told the third baseman, 'Let me know when that little boy comes back up.'

Three innings later, I go to kneel down in the on-deck circle, and I hear the third baseman say, 'There he is.' Satch looked at the third baseman, and then he looked at me.

I walk halfway to home plate and he says, 'Little boy.' I say, 'Yes, sir?' because Satch was much older than I am, so I was trying to show respect.

He walked halfway to home plate and said, 'Little boy, I'm not going to trick you. I'm going to throw you three fastballs and you're going to go sit down' and I'm saying in my mind, 'I DOOON'T THINK SOOO.' If he threw me three of the same pitch, I'm going to hit it somewhere.

He threw me two fastballs and I just swung...I swung right through it.. and the third ball he threw, and I tell people this all the time, he threw the ball and as he let go he said, 'Go sit down.' This is while the ball was in the air. Yes, he struck me out with three pitches.

He was just magnificent."

~Willie Mays Comes Home
GQ Magazine interview 2010

Willie Mays and Satchel Paige.

345060744_544891391138021_3591623334394732484_n.jpg

Longball

Back