RIP Dickey Betts, Fiery Guitarist With Allman Brothers Band, Dies at 80

Time for the Whiskey bottle ....

Picture I took in the Town Square, Ridgefield, Conneticut July 10, 2009. I felt he knew someone there as he played there the weekend after July 4th for a number of years. Yes, I went every year!

Dickey Betts

Ridgefield 100_0406.JPG

Dickey Betts, son Duane Betts, Pedro Alverado.

Ridgefield 2100_0413.JPG

Longball

Fuck yeah, make it a double.
Allman Brothers are great!!!
I saw them in 79 on New Year’s Eve at the prestigious New Haven Coliseum, what a way to bring in the new year. Damn haven’t thought of that in an eclipse. It was a moment. Now dickey is rambling, man life is grand.

Toast to the all man bro’s and Dickie.
Thanks for the memories 🥂🥃
/steve

Dickie and Duane together in the beginning was as good as it gets. Live at The Fillmore is one of the best live albums ever. A bit of trivia. On the back cover of I believe their first album there’s an extra person who was a very young Don Johnson, a friend and later famous for Miami Vice and Nash Bridges with costar Cheech Marin.

Dickey showed not only his playing abilities but also was an excellent song writer. So sad to see another who gave so many of us joy through his music go on to another journey.

I was just chatting with my wifes cuz. He's a fellow 420.
We somehow got on the subject of Dickey and he told me to go check out his facebook page.
check this out.
/steveScreenshot 2024-04-19 210214.png

A little trivia on the ABB Live At The Fillmore East Album. The original photoshoot was done under the marquee of the Fillmore East. Many believe it's one of the greatest live rock albums ever. It is. Others believe it is one of the best rock concerts ever. It's not. It's a compilation of the best songs over a three night* stand at the Fillmore East. "At Fillmore East was recorded over two nights* — March 12 and 13, 1971 — for which the band was paid $1,250 each show. The shows were typical performances for the band, and regarded as slightly above average by drummer Jai Johanny Johanson. Ads for the shows read: "Bill Graham Presents in New York — Johnny Winter And, Elvin Bishop Group, Extra Added Attraction: Allman Brothers. "While Winter was billed as headliner, by the third night the Allman Brothers were closing the show." It was a three night stand, but only 2 nights* were recorded.

The_Fillmore_with_Crowd-Aerial_View_23.jpg

Everyone seemed to hate the photos taken under the Fillmore East marquee so famed rock photographer Jim Marshall was flown 900 miles to Macon, Georgia to try to recreate a 'Fillmore East' photoshoot. According to Duane Allman's book, Skydog(his nickname), and Greg Allman's book, Not My Cross To Bear, the brick wall used in the photo's could be seen across the street from the front door of Capricorn Recording Studio's. For a few years Capricorn was the center of the musical universe recording such bands as Allman Brothers Band, Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, Charlie Daniels Band, Percy Sledge, Bonnie Bramlett, Dexter and Otis Redding III, Elvin Bishop, Livingston Taylor, Delbert McClinton, Grinderswitch, Sea Level, Dixie Dregs, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Oak Arkansas, and more.

Capricorn Recording Studios

capricornstudio.jpg

Capricorn Recording Studios on the right. Most of the buildings have been demolished and new ones built so most likely the original 'brick wall across the street from the studio' used on the album is long gone.

Panorama_Capricorn_Wall_800.jpg

Jim Marshall took many pics that day, color, and black and white. One thing all pics had in common was he could not get the band to smile. It was early morning, it was cold and they were shivering, they didn't want to be there, and worst of all? They didn't have any weed.

allman_bros_fillmore_east.jpg

The picture used for the album cover everyone is smiling and they have changed positions. What happened? According to a story Duane tells in 'Skydog', a drug dealer he knew just happened to walk by and he was able to score a bag of weed. He said he is hiding it in his hands in the picture on the album and that's why everyone is laughing!

Fillmore_East_Cover_650.jpg

Another picture from the Ridgefield, CT show. Andy Aledort, Dickey Betts, Duane Betts, Pedro Alvarado.

Ridgefield071009-3.jpg

Guitar picks given to me by Andy and Dickey after a show in Terryville, Ct.

P1110417.JPG

Terryville, Ct. You can see picks in the pickholder on Dickey's mic stand. Andy is to the left out of the picture.

100_0142a.JPG

One night Dickey and Warren Haynes listened to a bunch of jazz guitarist Charlie 'Bird' Parker's albums(one of Dickey's biggest influences) and afterwards decided to write a song as a tribute to him. They called it 'Kind of Bird'. Here they perform a short version of it with the great Doc Severinsen.

Early on in his career Dickey was having an affair with someone's girlfriend and wrote a song as a tribute to her. Of course, he could not name her so he came up with this instead. " In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"'. Years later it was learned she was Boz Scaggs girlfriend, Carmella. "But the thing came about, see, I was dating, I was slipping around, back-dooring Boz Scaggs’ girlfriend, live-in girlfriend, they weren’t married, but. She was a beautiful Italian girl. I wrote this song and I wanted to call it ‘Carmella’ but couldn’t (laughs). So the place we would meet, in this old 1800s graveyard, Rose Hill, there was this old tombstone that said on it ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.’ What I love about that song is if you have a bunch of top-shelf players they can express themselves beautifully in that song, once they learn it." - Dickey Betts http://ticket.heraldtribune.com/201...-most-famous-allman-brothers-songs-interview/

elizabethreed5.jpg

Dickey in grade school. Front row - 3rd from right. Only barefoot kid. Very poor. Parents enrolled him music classes 3 times but was thrown out each time for failing to read/write music saying he could play by ear. Teachers said if you can only play by ear, you will never make a living from music.

dbschool1.jpg

If you guessed that I am a huge Dickey Betts fan, you win that Bett!

RIP - Forrest Richard Betts :love:🎸

. A bit of trivia. On the back cover of I believe their first album there’s an extra person who was a very young Don Johnson, a friend and later famous for Miami Vice...

Dickey showed not only his playing abilities but also was an excellent song writer. So sad to see another who gave so many of us joy through his music go on to another journey.

I can't find Don Johnson on any ABB albums. I was thinking maybe Dickey Betts and Great Southern's first album of the same name. He's not on either cover but he is credited with co-writing a song with Dickey Betts, Bougainvillea. It's kind of a slow love ballad but when Dickey starts playing at 2:30 :love: Don Johnson sings backup with Tom Broome and Dangerous Dan Toler. I know Dan's voice but not sure which is Tom or Don. I believe Don was more of a personal friend of Dickey's rather than ABB.

Longball

Back