Questions on finding a SSH mother?

No root issues with 7 x 7. I use the Active Aqua series by Hydrofarm. They have holes along the bottom and sides that help to air prune the roots. I think they are supposed to be used for hydro but they work well for soil as well. If you lighten up the soil (by adding FFLW or perlite) then it really is very close to growing hydro, in which case the container size does not matter.

Here they are: https://jet.com/product/detail/1e17...gclid=CJPG6fe8384CFY17fgodgMgFog&gclsrc=aw.ds.

Your shorter, bushier plant sounds like a NL pheno. Keep your eye on that one. Might be done in 8 weeks if you are lucky!

As to your question, I'm not sure I completely understand you. In general "high yield = commercial". There are lemon, pine, and citrus phenotypes to be found within SSH, and they can yield extremely well. But careful what you ask for with the longer bloom, as some phenos can take up to 12 weeks to finish, and growing a plant like that takes a lot of skill. Have you ever grown a Haze or Haze hybrid before? It can be a wild ride.

M.

The only haze I've grown is Medihaze but it's not a tall plant.
The only strains I've grown is Medicine man,CS,Medihaze,Mazar Sheriff,White Widow,NL5 x Skunk and Swag bag seed.
I will post pics for they all are doing great much better than mothers.I now know why and it's been fixed and what a huge difference.

The shorter pheno is really starting to look different and more like a bushy indica.Its only half as tall but twice as wide.Pictures are needed,so check my album if not posted.

M,
Do you use any bloom boosters?If so when in bloom cycle do you use it?

I used to follow charts but I now wait until stretch is over or I see calyxes then I use bloom boosters or PK boost.

No I never use "bloom boosters". I just increase my Bloom feed from 1/2 strength to almost full strength. Then again, I never grow for yield, so you might be talking to the wrong person. (Anyone that uses "boosters" feel free to chime in here.) In the past I have added high phosphorous bat guano to my soil mix, either in the bottom when transplanting to final container for flowering, or as a top dressing 1-2 weeks into flowering. Either way, it is usually best to use "boosters" during the middle 2-3 weeks of flowering. Give the plants the time they need to transition from veg to flower, then when you see actual flowers start to form, you start adding "boosters". You stop using them 2-3 weeks before harvest, but I imagine you can use them all the way up to the last week of flowering. I have read conflicting views: some say "boosters" don't help, some say they make all the difference with certain chemovars. I believe both views hold merit. You sound like you know what you're doing. Have you noticed any differences with your plants? Have you run any side-by-side comparisons with different "boosters" or even just had a control group (no "boosters")?

M.

What I have noticed using them too early causes stretching.
Once they start making calyxes then use a PK boost or increase base.It almost the same except for added supplements in boosters.
Timing seems to be the key and running keepers until you know what they like.

I think your right and I have a NL pheno for its much different than the others.
60-70% shorter but much wider and bushier.Its looking like it's close to pre flowers and it seems to be growing outward not upwards.

I finally let soil dry out enough for leaves to fall.It takes quite a long time and container gets extremely light.So that was a lesson well learned.

Sorry about all the questions.It helps for there's so much marketing hype and the basics get ignored.
So far my pheno types are one foot to two foot tall.
The shortest one is right at one foot tall and most of the others are 1.5-2.0 feet tall.
I am hoping for a shorter early finisher and maybe this shorter one is the NL phenotype.
No aromas yet but soon the trichomes will start forming and aromas will be much easier to notice.Looking forward to that and it's not too far away.

I must have missed a male for one produced a bunch of balls over night,it got culled quickly and so will any cutting from it.

I think I'm okay none popped open and there's no pre flowers even starting to show.
They're were at day 9 only the upper branches had clusters of maybe 6-10 balls that looked like unopened seeds with a short stubby thick protrusion,so now I know what those glands were during sexing.
Most males I've seen have raised ball and claw but these balls have a slit and are shaped like a cannabis seed.

Anyway what do you think M?
At day 9 of 12/12 do you think females got pollinated?

Morphote how would you describe the effects of SSH in general. I want something euphoric and uplifting and decided to try SSH. Have you found it to be at all racy? I went with the MangoWidow as we discussed via pm but they were attacked heavily by thrips and although they improved 75% I figured its best to start with strong healthy plants rather than battle the whole way with MW. I sprouted 18 in hopes of nine females, I know the strain has a spectrum of effects but I am hoping racyness is not a big issue as it was SSH or Critical Haze. I figure the "stash of stashes" as Shanti describes it may be a bit better and its gone down in history and still is one of the finest hybrids available. I only have experience with four females from years ago, had a 12 wk keeper that I let go due to flowering time...looking back she was some happy smoke and should have never been removed, thanks for your time

I got one that's looking like it's going to be a big stretcher.
Can one pinch and bend during bloom or is that too much stress for bloom?
I had to move my lamp up so more than likely they'll all increase in height in a few days.
The short pheno is still looking great still at 1/2 the height of all others and it could be close to its full structure.It filled out fast and I'm hoping the more sought out SSH are the NL5 Skunk pheno.
It looks like an indica but with sativa leaves.
Any suggestions on any way to deal with the big stretchers?
I have pulled them out early if necessary so the rest don't end up getting what they need.

I doubt any of your plants were pollinated. Even when those male flowers are allowed to fully form there is a period of time before the pollen drops. If you happen to have a male flower open there's a chance it hasn't dropped any pollen. If you do think you see pollen, or that maybe a flower opened, you can spray all your plants with water. This will kill the pollen basically on contact. Then remove the males. If you remove the male(s) first you could get dry pollen everywhere, and the you will have a real problem (and lots of seeds!).

Nothing wrong with pinching. I assume you mean super cropping and not fimming (you can film too from what I've read). I've been super cropping any shoots that pop above the canopy. First week I took clones from any tops that jumped up on me. With plants this big anything you can do to try to control them is fair game. Clones are stretching too but they are not a concern. I'm not going to touch them at all. I want to see how they grow and finish as compared to the moms. Basically the plan now is to reveg any keeper phenos. Males (2) have been removed. Clone of #10 is full on male now. The chopped up seed plant had the same amazing incense smell so I am very happy I kept the clone. The other male smells wonderful (citrus, floral), has great structure and a hollow stem. Females are flowering. Should get interesting now. Don't apologize for asking questions Indi. That's the only way we learn.

M.

Morphote how would you describe the effects of SSH in general. I want something euphoric and uplifting and decided to try SSH. Have you found it to be at all racy? I went with the MangoWidow as we discussed via pm but they were attacked heavily by thrips and although they improved 75% I figured its best to start with strong healthy plants rather than battle the whole way with MW. I sprouted 18 in hopes of nine females, I know the strain has a spectrum of effects but I am hoping racyness is not a big issue as it was SSH or Critical Haze. I figure the "stash of stashes" as Shanti describes it may be a bit better and its gone down in history and still is one of the finest hybrids available. I only have experience with four females from years ago, had a 12 wk keeper that I let go due to flowering time...looking back she was some happy smoke and should have never been removed, thanks for your time

Never grown it. Never smoked it. That's why I got it. Read all kinds of great reports. Hope it tastes/hits like Jack Herer. Smells like JH. Sorry to hear about your MW. Thrips are a bitch! Yeah if SSH is the "stash of stashes" then I need it in my life! If it's not to my liking I would be shocked.

M.

Update

Smells distinctly sour now. Not sure what to make of that. #7 or #8 is distinctly loud. Pretty sure it's #7. Stems are sticky. Clones are haze all the way. Every time I super crop I'm getting another legion of tips. Vigorous. Pics coming soon.

M.

I wasn't sure if super cropping was a type of LST so Ill start pinching.

My shortest one is at 17in and tallest is at 35 in.The rest are 24-28in and then the 35in.
Where's a good place to pinch or what would be considered too far?How many nodes down?They are 13 days in 12/12 just starting to pre flower.

Should I super crop all of them so the lower branches raise into canopy?
The shortest one seems great its lowers are in the canopy or close to main.

Super cropped three of them and one straightened up over night,so repeated.
I forgot the first time I supercropped I tied them down so I might try that also.They sure do bounce back quickly.

I usually prune away any lower potential suckers after stretch is over.Ive heard or read trimming lowers causes more stretching but that could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have been trimming lowers myself too. I don't care if it does encourage stretch. Between the stretch and the vigor we have our hands full anyway, so fuck it! Same with the super cropping. If it costs me in yield I don't give a fuck. These plants need to be tamed or they will grow right into your light, and that shit ain't happening on my watch. Do what you gotta do! Sorry for the profanity. I am enjoying a good Marionberry brew (Rogue Braggot) and I feel uninhibited.

M.

To avoid stretch here, keep the lamps up a nice distance from canopy, around 1m is the right place for avoiding stretch on sattys...

The rest shot up so they all except the short one got cropped.
Really raising the light can help?Thats great to know.

If there's any other tips or methods on improving sattties,please post.
They all need trimming under the canopy so that'll happen very soon.

I think I'll give them a bit of Koolboom liquid,1/4-1/2 strength,just to see how they react.
They all are pre flowering and are tightening up a bit.
Looking forward to the early trichomes so I can get some sense of aromas.

To avoid stretch here, keep the lamps up a nice distance from canopy, around 1m is the right place for avoiding stretch on sattys...

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I STOP IN HERE! Advice I have never heard but will definitely try it this run with my SSH.
FX do you have experience personally with most of the strains? I often wonder if my pm questions could be answered by you rather than Shanti saving him some time. Thanks for the advice!

Leave major pruning of undergrowth to week 2 of preflower. Focus energy on bud growth and not growing new leaf sets.

You can not ask for a better place then this for knowledge.. This form has some of the best and brightest people on it even though we spit and spat some times over different topics

Leave major pruning of undergrowth to week 2 of preflower. Focus energy on bud growth and not growing new leaf sets.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'd never thought of raising light.
Are you saying 2 weeks after 12/12 or 2 weeks after pre flower start forming before trimming away lower growth?

Last edited:
Back