Questions on finding a SSH mother?

Truth be told normally I just trash the males when I cull them, but decided to save the fan leaves to make some edibles. I rinsed the leaves then put them in a ziplock bag, then the next day when I went to open the bag to make some canna butter the incense smell unexpectedly hit me. At that point the male was all chopped up so I couldn't save him, but in future I will use this method to see if the males do put off any smells. Before the males were chopped I gave them both the stem rub but didn't smell anything unique. I can promise you if any male smelled like incense before the chop I would have saved him and used him for breeding. It was a fantastic smell. I will put some fan leaves of the male I kept in the fridge and see if they smell like anything special after a couple of days. Would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone else has tried this method.

M.

The runt turned female along with two more so it looks like seven out of ten females.
The males are short,bushy,and fairly tight noded which is a bit of a surprise.
I'll take cuttings within the next few days and come up with a bloom plan.
I wasn't expecting seven but maybe four or five.
Are the shorter bushy females more skunk and NL pheno types?

Tell me about it. I just wanted 4 or 5 myself. Having 11 has really messed up my plans. I'm not complaining. I just need more space to sort through these phenotypes. Technically yes I would say the short squat phenos lean towards the NL/Skunk side of things, but reality is that we won't know what we have until we flower them. Those short squat phenos could go all sativa and stretch like crazy, and the taller beasts could go all indica and hardly stretch at all. We just don't know. That's what's so fun about growing SSH. You will know the winner/keeper when you smoke her. Other than that, it's all just guessing.

M.

I culled the males and took cuttings of females.
I need to transplant the seed plants,plus cuttings were a bit small but they are doing great so far.

Last edited:
So, after I finally gave them ferts for the first time in about a week...they almost grew into the light. Picture plants trying to reach into the hood! Extreme vigor. Scary fast growers. Need more light. Need more space. Working on it. Clones looking good.

M.

I put off transplanting as long as possible and already they are getting tall.
I may prune them down until I need some more cuttings.

I think soil might be the way to go with hazes.
They seem too finicky in coco or maybe it's the salt based nutes.
It's as if they are hungry but still getting tip burn on fresh growth.

I've never heard of defiencies causing tip burn so that's got me baffled.
Have you ever heard of tip burn caused by defiencies or low calmag?
I'm running nutrient strength at 37.5 % recommended strength.

Next time I run mother for cuttings I'm using soil.
I may try coco in bloom but to keep mothers smaller and eat less coco isn't that good.Coco likes feed with every watering.

Cuttings are rooting and looking very healthy so I have to come up with a plan for bloom.I may have to cull mothers and use a cutting for each mother or bloom mothers.

M,
How's cuttings looking?
Any bloom plans yet?

All the cuttings have rooted. Never seen anything like it. Big white furry roots. Plan now is to flip the clones. Going to prune the moms, cloning the good stuff. Used Dip n Grow rooting hormone. Could be that, or the genetics, but either way we are at 100% success rate with roots in under a week. That's phenomenal vigor. Will post a pic before I flip the clones. I bet one of us finds a winner, Indi. Hopefully we both do.

M.

I'm also using dip n grow also and still on my first bottle of it.So far it seems to work better than other solutions I've tried.
I'm using ful power on cuttings foliarly and after just one application leaves changed their angle towards light in just a few hours.

I must admit these are the healthiest cuttings I've taken.Firm upright leaves and still nice and green.They look like they were taken yesterday.

M,
Have you transplanted cuttings yet?
Since these are my first hazes from cuttings I'm not sure what to expect final height.
Do you top before 12/12 or just let them go straight up?

All but two of my pheno are ready so I may transplant today.

9/11 clones are in dirt. Last 2 clones, #10 and 11, have been taken and are in the dome. Prolific roots on all cuts. Definitely loving the Dip n Grow. Never good to top right before flip, it really slows the plants down. Although, I have heard that fimming the tops 1-2 weeks into flower produces larger buds, but I haven't ever done it myself. I would top 10-14 days BEFORE the flip, but that's about it.

Otherwise, im still in a holding pattern. Pruning these bushes as best I can, waiting for possible relocation to a spot where I can let these girls shine. Part of me wants to go ahead and flip the clones, but I need these last 2 to root so I can flower them all together. Kind of sucks, but need to do this right. Should have a new spot in the next couple of weeks.

M.

I'm having to feed my cuttings once to twice a day.The grodan tray keeps the cuttings from growing it seems by air pruning the roots.
I'm going to probably wait another week for a few pheno types just don't have the amount of roots I want.
I took some pics of my cuttings and roots.Compared to other strains these are the healthiest cuttings to date.
If you want and can go to album and you can see pics of cuttings and roots,title roots.
I'll post them later my batteries are just about dead.
One last thing,
I seen where you posted you might build a Cree cxb cob.You might want to wait for Cree is coming out with a 200watt cob and 3590 are going down in price.

Last edited:
Clones are hardened off and growing. Very healthy. Quite impressed. Will post a pic of them. No plans in the near future to build my own LED fixture. Going to keep reading and watching DIY videos, and wait until the price of the current fixtures drops. LED technology is moving so fast by the time you think you got something you like the next best thing hits the market.

M.

All the cuttings are ready so by tomorrow they should be in recovery.
I rinsed perlite in hard water,didn't ph correct it,mixed it in with medium and it was causing potassium deficiency with every transplant.
I waited until they all started eating from the roots and now cuttings are putting out fresh leaves.
I'm glad I waited for even though they're eating they're staying short and roots have really exploded.

Last edited:
They're in recovery doing very good.
M,
I read conflicting information on using a cutting to make mother,then cull mother to save space.Some say using cuttings weakens genes others say clones will make just as good mother as seed mother.
Does using cuttings for mothers weaken genes or should one use seed plant for mother?

Have you decided when your flipping to 12/12?How yours doing?

Last edited:
Don't know anything about that, but if I could I would keep all seed plants as mothers and just flower out clones. Never had the space to do that though. I have always flowered clones of clones of clones, and never seen any "weakening" of the genes, aka genetic drift. I went ahead and hung the Gavita, so technically I am ready to flower. Going to slap a trellis on them and flip to 12/12 as soon as these last 2 clones root. Should only be a couple of days or so. Your clones look good.

M.

Thanks!
I don't have room so I keep running cuttings from cuttings.
I can keep cuttings healthier than crowded mothers so the mothers will get chopped.

I've been highly considering a Gavita 750/600 DE.
Could I use the 750/600 in a 4 by 4 by 7 foot high tent passive cooling?
I use a 10,000 btu ac unit to help cool when needed.

I've been highly considering a Gavita 750/600 DE.
Could I use the 750/600 in a 4 by 4 by 7 foot high tent passive cooling?
I use a 10,000 btu ac unit to help cool when needed.

I think that could work, but you would need to keep that AC unit on during the day cycle. Gavita gets warm.

M.

I can keep cuttings healthier than crowded mothers so the mothers will get chopped.

I hear you. Was thinking about exactly that, but going to clone the hell out of these moms before I chop them, and even then I may just cut them all the way back then stick them outside to recover/flower. I feel like many of these are going to be large yielders.

Gavita has ignited these Hazes. I'm seeing sativa expression (although I hear that the correct technical term is "indica"; indica is actually "afghanica"...thank you Hash Church/Chimera). Perhaps that's what Franco meant when he said that MNS has the "indica version" of SSH haha. So from here on I will use the correct term, "indica". I'm seeing heavy indica expression in these plants under the Gavita. It's almost like the opti-blue Ushio was coaxing afghanica expressions--wider leaves, slower growth--because now I am looking at "vines" that are bathing in the Gavita light. They look like they are jumping. They are drinking faster. Temps up to 89-92 from 85ish and humidity down to 40 from 50-55, and they love it. Clones have already grown 1-3 inches, close nodes, drying out quick as well. I have the clones under the 400w Ushio and the moms under the 600w Gavita. Pics coming soon.

M.

Back