Questions on finding a SSH mother?

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Typically I find that if the first plant to sex is a female then chances are you are staring at a bunch of females. Also, now that one has showed, they will all start showing, at least 1-2 a day.

M.

1st female at about week 7.

indi-albums-week-7-8-first-female-picture12434-image.jpeghtml

I haven't named her yet I'm waiting for a few more then they have to be named.

One Pack

Indi-

She looks good. Hope she is the first of many. You don't do any LST? Just topping?

Ok...

My numbers are in: 11 females, 3 males (2 males culled, last male kept).
I feel like I have all the expressions, including 2 NL phenos, 3-4 Skunk phenos, and 4-5 Haze phenos.

Males: Had to keep the last male, not because of him but because of the first male I chopped. Culled both males after less than impressive stem rub and rule of thumb as told by DJ Short. (Rule of thumb is cull the first males to show.) However, after first males were culled, leaf was harvested and stored in the fridge to make light canna butter. Days after culling, when I went to open the zip lock bags and smelled the leaf, I got an intense sandlewood incense smell. I mean it smelled goooood. Really regret not having that male, so I kept the last male to sex. Not that I had much choice at that point, as he was literally the last plant to show.

So there you have it: 26 seeds. 11 females. 1 male.

M.

indi-albums-lst-picture12435-image.jpeghtml

Here she is under training.
I was hoping a few more would show in 2-3 days but nothing yet.
Cuttings haven't shown not even cutting from the one that showed after topped?

SSH male

SSH1

SSH2

SSH3

SSH4

SSH5

SSH6

SSH7

SSH8

SSH9

SSH10

SSH11
(Before H2O)

(After H2O)

Gave you 2 pics of the male. Took almost everything off of him as you can see. All other plants were bone dry when I took these pictures. #11 was starting to wilt (showing you how dry I let my girls get, and how they bounce back after I water them). Lights went out right before I got a shot of the last two girls so I had to use the flash on them. Sorry about that.

M.

You've got a nice selection to choose from.
Another xx showed so two are being trained and could be cloned.
Some of the glands have the shape of �� not quite balls and not quite female.
I don't think they've reached full maturity but are starting to fill out nicely.

The leaves in fridge I'll have to try.
Are you using natural or artificial light?
So you let soil dry up each watering?
Do those smart pots work as advertised?

Last edited:
You've got a nice selection to choose from.
Another xx showed so two are being trained and could be cloned.
Some of the glands have the shape of �� not quite balls and not quite female.
I don't think they've reached full maturity but are starting to fill out nicely.

The leaves in fridge I'll have to try.
Are you using natural or artificial light?
So you let soil dry up each watering?
Do those smart pots work as advertised?

Using a 400 watt Ushio opti-blue. I was taught to underwater in veg. Saves you a lot of problems. So, yes, almost always bone dry before they get anything from me. Have had this batch wilt on me 2 or 3 times. When I see one plant wilt, I usually water them all (except for the ones that drink slow). Technically smart pots are the cloth sacks. These are air pots. Yes they work well. My only complaint is that watering can be a messy ordeal. Liquid tends to flow out of the holes at the top, getting soil all over the place. Also, they dry out much quicker than conventional pots, and fungus gnats seem to love them due to the fact that they have easier access to the roots and the soil. Other than that they are great. Plants grow faster and larger than in conventional pots that hold the same volume.

M.

Sorry about all the questions.
It's great to have an experienced grower doing the same strain at same time.

It's looking like four females and a short bushy one that I hope is female that'll make five.The short bushy one is showing more indica structure .

Others are tall with tiny much further spaced nodes.
I'll post pictures before I start training.

I agree more tandem grows should be done.It keeps it more interesting and one can pick up on new methods or share some.

Maybe we can do another tandem.I'd be interested.

M,
When was you planning on blooming?
About how long does it take hazes,ssh,to reach maturity ?

Going to clone then flip. Haven't decided if I will flip the clones or the mothers. Been wanting to bonsai for a while now. SSH flowers anywhere from 8-12 weeks. Clones will finish faster than seedplants. We can do another tandem after this, just depends on what you want to grow. Have any Mango Haze seeds?

M.

Ive been looking at mango haze but the f1 version for less variance.Its occasionally in auctions,but I'm open to most strains and I have many of MNS strains.

I still haven't decided if I'll bloom out seed plants.Since they will be trained with a good root system its tempting.

I have Mango Haze f1. You have Nevilles Skunk, or Nevilles Haze, or Nevilles Haze Mango? We can run any of those.

M.

I have many but not those.

I'm noticing many,what appear to be females,only have one thick short hair coming from a 🌰 shaped gland.Do hazes show different than medicineman,CS,or other indica strong strains?

I have many but not those.

I'm noticing many,what appear to be females,only have one thick short hair coming from a 🌰 shaped gland.Do hazes show different than medicineman,CS,or other indica strong strains?

Ok, well, let me know what you do have and we can go from there. That one hair sticking out of a pod is all I look for when sexing. Once I see that I know I have a female. The other thing I was taught to look for was "the claw". If you see a small claw forming where the stem meets the branch then you are looking at a male. To the best of my knowledge, sativas and indices show the same but sativas can take a little longer to show, just like females take a little longer to show, whether they are indica or sativa.

M.

Two more turned female so now that makes four.
It was two of the tallest ones I wasn't expecting so if the bushy short ones turn xx I may end up with 6-7.
Ssh is different than others I've tried.Different branch,leaf structure and growth rate seems much slower.

The 3rd and 4th to turn female.
indi-albums-3rd-4th-xx-picture12437-image.jpeghtml

I think I've been seeing small claws just different than what I'm used too.If they're are males it would make sense why I'm haven't spotted them.

Last edited:
They all have grown much faster in the last week.The last few will be very hard to train for stalk and branches have doubled in diameter.

Those 🌰 shaped short glands were early males.
Three get culled today and the rest will get another look after they wake up.
So it's looking like four to five females with the runt and late shower left.

M,
So by putting leaves from plants in the fridge one can get aromas of final product?Does it work for both male and female?

Back