Questions on finding a SSH mother?

Nothing yet on mine but the nodes are staggering.
M,
Do you mix up your own soil or use a premix?

It's a layered blend of FFOF and FFLW, each pot/layer mixed individually by hand:

Bottom layer: 4 parts OF, 2 parts LW
Middle layer: 1 part OF, 1 part LW
Top Layer: ~3 parts OF, 2 parts LW

I like it heavier towards the bottom, lighter towards the top.

M.

Maybe my first male with cuttings.
Cuttings are rooting,which wasn't the goal,in less than a week.If only every cutting rooted in less than a week.
Must be the high heat and RH?

Well that's good news Indi. I have 2 more females and 1 male that have declared. Culled the male. Have 2 females that exhibit classic NL indica growth pattern: minimal lower branching, wide blades on the fan leaves. Very exciting! Total of 3 females so far. Have one stinky (orange citrus) plant that I hope is a male, and another gorgeous short stocky sativa plant that I pray is a female. Still on 18/6.

M.

Update

3 more females, 1 more male. Male culled. 6 females + 6 plants not yet sexed (- 2 males, - 1 runt). Group shot of the 6 girls coming.

M.

Topped ones have sex glands but too undeveloped for identifying,but any day they'll show.
The cuttings are rooting great but no growth so whether they are effected from 12/12 I'm not sure.

Stinky turned out to be a female. 7 total. Think I also found another male. All remaining plants should be sexed in the next 2-3 days.

M.

M,
What's your plan to bloom ?Cuttings or seed plants?

My plans haven't quite worked out. Found female #8 today (really like this plant too), suspected female #9, and suspected male #3. Need more space to run these plants. They are full on teenage beasts now. Wanted to flower from seed but then wanted to observe the various pheno types in veg. Now I have more phenos than I can handle, and am especially wary of the sativa phenos. Working on moving all of them into a greenhouse and growing trees. So, yeah, that's my plan as it stands right now. SSH is no joke in veg. Beautiful, powerful, vigorous plants. Posting pics soon.

M.

LST 101

Beauty

Old Fert?

Haze LST...

...Broken Stem Repaired...

...S is for Super

And Last but not Least...

The Beast

Only 6 of the girls but I will get shots of the other 2 (or more!) up soon.

M.

Nothing yet on mine neither cuttings now at day 14 in 12/12 or topped plants at 7 weeks.
I thought cuttings would have shown,they've all rooted,but not one make or female.A few cuttings could be transplanted and roots are splitting cubes but no signs of sex.
I'm wondering if they need to be transplanted before they show.

M,
I'm curious is there any reason you started at 24/0 then went to 18/6?
Also,are you using bennies in your soil?

Went 24/0 for 2 reasons:

1. Using an old bulb. Less PAR means plants need more hours of light per day to sustain healthy growth rate.
2. Limit plant growth. During night cycles plants will stretch. I wanted to keep them as small as possible.

Went 20/4 for about a week, then 18/6 after that to try to force sex. Expected them to show around 6-8 weeks. Reducing daylight hours to prepare them for flowering. I will reduce again to 16/8 for a week while I clone, then 14/10 while I wait for roots, then 12/12 when I have roots, then 11/13 for the majority of bloom, then 10/14 to force any extreme sativas to finish. I find that playing with photoperiod, making incremental adjustments, is key to manipulating growth rates and characteristics of sativa cultivars indoors. Edit: All kinds of beneficials in my soil. Puro organic.

M.

Last edited:
Ok so good news and bad news. Good news is found 2 more females. Bad news is FUCK ME I found 2 more females. That makes 10 total, and my 2 smallest/slowest still haven't sexed. Tempted to cull both of them now. I just don't have the space, and won't have the space I need for another 30 days. Going to have to start doing some heavy pruning. LST is no longer working. Plants are too strong and grow right out of the twisty ties. So, yeah, deep shit over here. Nothing but girls. You send me feminized seed, Shanti? Haha I think I want my money back!

M.

Still no clear signs on mine.Either they're not mature enough or topping shocked them a bit.
Cuttings have roots galore and are growing but not any clear sex signs.
I'm tempted to put cuttings in complete darkness for 2-3 days to see if that'll help trigger bloom or sex glands since they're getting culled after sex shows.
M,
Does ssh show sex when it reaches maturity reguardless of light schedule?
Also,
When you go reduce time do you keep lights on time the same time and change off time or change both off and on times to simulate daylight hours shortening?

Last edited:
Light schedule directly affects maturity. Plants should show faster under less hours of light. Your plants should have shown by now. Topping might slow them down but only a bit. When reducing daylight hours your lights will turn off at the same time but come on later and later.

Example:

24/0, Lights never off
20/4, Lights off at 12pm (noon), on at 4pm
18/6, Lights off at 12pm (noon), on at 6pm
16/8, Lights off at 12pm (noon), on at 8pm
14/10, Lights off at 12pm (noon), on at 10pm
12/12 Lights off at 12pm (noon), on at 12am (midnight)

Theoretically plants should show sex faster under 12/12 than 18/6, but only by a matter of 2-3 weeks. Same goes for 18/6 vs 24/0. Then again, you could be staring at a group of females and don't know it. Typically females take longer to sex than males. Males almost always show sex first in my experience.

M.

Hey morphote, why do you suggest that the light off time stays the same and altering the time the light turns on?
If you have 12 hours of darkness, then the plant should mature.
Is there a reason, or is it just the way you prefer to do it?

Last edited:
Honestly you can do it however you want. I was just giving an example. Typically lights should be off during the hottest part of the day if you are trying to be smart/efficient. Other than that it's completely up to you.

M.

Finally first female showed so the rest should start showing.
If structure is similar I see at least two more.
The lowers are still fairly thin so they train easily.

Back