Questions on finding a SSH mother?

Indi

I'd like to run cuttings but first I have to cull out males.
Should SSH still be started in 12/12 from seed to find females then after they show go to 18/6 for cuttings or take cuttings in 12/12 and put them in 18/6 for future cuttings?
Hope this makes sense.
Ideally I'd like to put at least 2 cuttings from each through bloom,then get a keeper and make a mother from a cutting.

id go with 18/6

having a nice blue white spectrum 6500K - 8000K will throw out pistils (preflowers) even under 18h of light, at week 3 - 6 with most modern indoor hybrids, but the more important reason for doing this light schedule instead of 12/12, the reason is hormons, once a level is reached within the plant, its not possible to return to previous hormone levels, thats why 18h mothers are better (healthier) than corresponding 12h mothers, just bc you dont see any flowers in week 2 of 12/12, doesnt mean that hormone levels havent changed

thats why im not a fan of 12/12 when cuttings / clones have to be taken, same goes for re-vegged plants, its more of a "last chance plan b" than proper "gardening"

Thanks for the tip.
Most of the strains I've tried eventually show after 5-7 weeks in veg but the long bloom time of SSH has me a bit spooked.
Description says there's an 8 week pheno but I've yet to read about one.

Thanks for the tip.
Most of the strains I've tried eventually show after 5-7 weeks in veg but the long bloom time of SSH has me a bit spooked.
Description says there's an 8 week pheno but I've yet to read about one.

Keep reading. Check the older SSH threads. See also: flower~power, l33t, Scorpion.

M.

Thanks for pointing that out.
A 56 day short pheno that's very interesting.Ill have to read the whole thread.

I'm very curious if the holy grail of SSH is the one that finishes that early.
I was also very tempted to try angel heart but whether it has pain relief like SSH I'm not sure.
I have about 8 different haze strains from mns deciding which one to try,may have the spin a bottle.

Great thread that was and it helped make me mind.
I'm used to 11 week strains so 10 SSH beans are soaking.Im tempted to go ahead and put the whole pack in but I have a few more keepers I'm not ready to discard.

Great thread that was and it helped make me mind.
I'm used to 11 week strains so 10 SSH beans are soaking.Im tempted to go ahead and put the whole pack in but I have a few more keepers I'm not ready to discard.

Great minds think alike...I went all in. 26 beans soaking. (Shanti I had to count them twice. You are too kind.) Let the good times roll.

M.

All ten of mine came up but one hasn't opened up because of shell.

I will pinch a seed until it pops then drop it back in the water. Takes skill to do it without crushing the embryo inside. Let's see some pics of your seedlings. I want to know how far ahead of me you are.

M.

11/26 up. Rest are in solo cups. Don't make me take over this thread. Post some pics, yo.

M.

2 more joined the party. Also, I have 2 mutants in this batch. Very exciting! Reminiscent of Blueberry (twisted leaves, strange growth). Anyone ever have SSH mutants? If so, what became of them? Indi where are you? Will start posting pics as soon as I find my camera.

M.

The stubborn shell had to be cracked by hand and it finally came off.
So all 10 are up and are feeding.

The stubborn shell had to be cracked by hand and it finally came off.
So all 10 are up and are feeding.

Well done. What are you feeding them? What's your setup and nutrient regimen? Pics of the little ones would be great.

M.

I use coco/perlite mix at about 4:1 ratio.
I use 6.5 sq containers on seeds.
I'm following GH chart until bloom then 6/9 micro bloom ratio.
Im going to try to keep ec around 0.6-0.8 with ful-power.
I use quite a few supplements and am always experiementing.
Ill try to get some pics up,if site is working.
Seedlings look good,but still babies.
My CS is looking real good at start of week 6 and their cuttings rooted and there are 4 possible keepers.Smoke test will be the deciding factor.
Morphote what you using as far as medium nutrients etc...

Last edited:
Ah so hydro it is. Perfect. I am the polar opposite. I run strictly organic, soil and ferts. Seedling soil is a 50/50 blend of FFOF and FFLW. Will change to 70/30 once I transplant girls from 16 oz solo cups to 2 gallon containers. Using 2 foot (blue) T5s for seedlings. They love it! Only fed Maxicrop seaweed at 2 tablespoons (1 ounce or 30 ml) per gallon. Have almost the entire BioBizz line on deck for this run: Root Juice, Grow, FishMix, Heaven, Bloom, TopMax. Will start feeding them on the very next watering (tomorrow). Seedlings are stacking nicely: roughly 4 inches, short internodes, working on third set of leaves. Second bank of 2 foot T5s (2 red, 2 blue) and 400w MH waiting in the wings. Still haven't found my camera yet or I would show them to you. Glad we started at the same time and have two totally different growing styles. We should learn a lot about this line from this grow.

M.

Back