• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

Pistil color and dryness or trichrome color for ripeness?

CBDcure

I’m getting ready to harvest but these don’t seem to be getting ripe with respect to trichrome color.Theres several books that say they are ripe or past ripe but they also say they’re not ripe by trichome color.

They look ripe to me but the cloudy trichomes ratio is 60% maybe 70% in top flowers.
It’s the beginning of week 10 tomorrow.

I can’t show pictures of the trichomes but here some that show pistils.
Lower flowers pistils are also 99% orange or like the close up below and some up top are getting darker orange.

What is your opinion do they look ripe according to pistils?

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0368.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg

Loop magnifier’s glass 30-40x
50% amber or more.
Trichomes not pistils .
Pistils are for seed production and nothing else I’m aware of.
A new thought to ripeness is wait until the pistols are actually full of resin (amber) so you may achieve the full effect of the cannabinoid profile.
✌️

I made a mistake when I wrote the first few sentences.
According to many grow books there are two ways to tell if flowers are ripe.
#1. If 90% of the pistils are red-orange then they are ripe.
#2. If 70% are cloudy 15% clear 15% amber then they are ripe.
They don’t say anything about using #1 and #2 methods together.

I personally prefer to have 70-80% cloudy 15-20% clear and scattered amber in the flowers.
I keep an eye on pistils so I know when to start looking at the trichomes with my scopes.

I’ve gone thru multiple triggers for harvest, but always use a clip on micro for cellphone.
In my experience, when I’ve waited for 20-25% amber I’ve passed optimal senescence; I’ve had whitish pistols and ripe trichomes & vice versa.
I know go by:
All cloudy trichomes + aroma + bud firmness + environment factors x the square root of pi….
Exclude the latter😂(see my MKS update)
IMG_4856.jpeg $19 on Amazon

That’s what I thought.
I don’t think the trichomes are going to go past 70% cloudy on these.
It’s weird how each strain behaves differently.
Im a bit OCD,lol.
i agry with you when i dont know a strain i cut it with 50 % of brown pistil

I rarely go further because I already had the experience that too ripe is not good either the thc change on carbon if it's too mature or can turning bad like hermies i remember the sour jack doing that
after when you know the plant like a mother you can refine more the moment of cut
and when it's outdoor the weather choose for you

Agreed.
I find some well matured weed very sedating, due at a guess to the higher amounts of lesser canabiniods which creep up as the resin degrades..
Which obviously isn't always a bad thing, say if your using it for medical extraction purposes or a sleep aid.

I consume for mild arthritis, but mostly i use it for the feel good factor, an enhancer of the moment.
If it soothes away the hot buzz of aching joints at the same time, so be it. lol

Peace

Last edited:
I got them hanging up and drying.
I waited an extra week waiting for the cool cure unit until I started prepping for harvest.

Looking at the trichomes on the plant is hard to get a good view.Just the tiniest movement loses the focus and bending over looking at flowers in the back of the tent is a bit tedious.
I will take a closer look by cutting off a flower and looking at it on the bench so my scope doesn’t move tomorrow when they’re not as wet.

Some of my growing buddies go by pistils and don’t use a scope and they have some great cannabis so there’s something to pistil appearance.
Thanks for the replies.

A good sign is when the calyxes swell up and almost look like they are seeded.
Which is how yours look in the picture.
Some good methods mentioned here by quinxstar and mu.
I have also found leaving them too long produces weed that just puts me to sleep.
Too much CBN.

I got one shelf filled of the cool cure filled with the smallest plant flowers.
I left small sections of the branches on so I have something to hold during the final trimming.

It’ll take a few runs to figure out what works best for me and the machine.I’ll need to fill the shelves up first in the dry area and then put them in the machine at the same time.

I got 225 grams on one shelf but these are small flowers and I tried to stay with one layer of flowers.
I think if flowers don’t smash each other I could go two layers deep.

Last edited:
The cool cure device is filled up and dry cycle has started.
I had to put individual flowers right next to each other otherwise it wouldn’t have held all the yeild.
So basically the trimming is done except for after the cure I left some leaves on just to see how they dried.
I just need to set a reminder to put the sponge in 24 hours.
The amount of water it removes in just a few hours is more than I was expecting.
I will hook up a drainage hose and run it to a bucket.
I put my unit on a bench so a bucket will fit underneath and so I don’t have to bend over.

I got them hanging up and drying.
I waited an extra week waiting for the cool cure unit until I started prepping for harvest.

Looking at the trichomes on the plant is hard to get a good view.Just the tiniest movement loses the focus and bending over looking at flowers in the back of the tent is a bit tedious.
I will take a closer look by cutting off a flower and looking at it on the bench so my scope doesn’t move tomorrow when they’re not as wet.

Some of my growing buddies go by pistils and don’t use a scope and they have some great cannabis so there’s something to pistil appearance.
Thanks for the replies.
I can't remember who had recommended it to be, it was a member on here, but the adonostar camera microscope is very handy. You still need a tripod though, or you end up with some blurry pics. It's on Amazon for around 60.

They look amazing man, well done

I can't remember who had recommended it to be, it was a member on here, but the adonostar camera microscope is very handy. You still need a tripod though, or you end up with some blurry pics. It's on Amazon for around 60.

They look amazing man, well done
Thanks,
I’ll take a look at the adonostar.
I have been looking at a Apexel Phone microscope lens,nano zoom 100x that Skunkle Lenny recommended.
It clips on and has glass lenses not plastic.

Apexel updated it with a newer version and it attaches more securely and lens are supposed be locked into place a
lined up with the camera lens.
Im looking at that one also.

Back