Ortega pt II

five weeks since sewing and the tallest has showed the first identifiable male preflowers. i messed up with the tops/sexing because the cupboard i kept them in had no air flow and is very stuffy of chipboard smell i just hadn't gotten a fan for it yet but i will soon, also have begun sealing with foil/tape. so the tops are farther behind in preflower development than the plants are but the plants seem close to revealing

of the three left i hope the two shortest/most dank (coffee/chocolate at top and savoury skunk/cat pee at right) are female because i have found the 'deep' berries in them finally (yay). it is deep in that it is nowhere in the bouquet or stem rub except when you rub the bottom stem (pause) and also some of the first true leaves. very sweet berry/funky wine

hoping to select and re-pot soon as they seem to be getting root bound, losing a bit of sheen etc. also i always have to keep in mind that at 20-30% rh, most plants grow slow so i imagine these plants in spring or fall would grow at a faster pace. also super cropping : )

2024-01-12_tegas.JPG
2024-01-12_tegas_sc.JPG
2024-01-12_prop_box.JPG

44 days since sewing and winter just officially arrived and it has been -10°c+ for a while outside with humidity under 20% inside. finished lining the cupboard and added a fan and complete transformation no more chipboard smell

re-potted the remaining three plants still with no pistils but luckily in the past two days all have sprouted pistils. i should say that this is my third grow attempt since early august and these are the first pistils i have seen at all so kind of relieved lol

remaining plants are:

cat pee - bottom left - became more vigorous (maybe since the other plant in the pot it was sharing was cut weeks ago?) and has overtaken the coffee for odour. deep sweet berry on the lower stem

coffee - bottom right - most intense stem rub still, with deep berry at the bottom

quiet - top - minimal smell but on the skunky savoury side, lettuce stem rub and no berry

never know though, it will all come down to the effects : )

2024-01-21_cat piss(bl)_quiet(t)_coffee(br).JPG
2024-01-21_ghani male.JPG

Last edited:
seven weeks since sewing and the plants have started to green again after transplant last week. it seems more cut and dry now how the plants go a dark b/w neon green at about one week after fertilizer is applied, in this case i premixed it into the soil in the tub, although when i go to flower i will probably also top dress. weather has been warmer and raining and humidity is up between 20 and 30 rh also

will go to flower soon and do a gradual 20 minutes per week or so light reduction until 10L/14D. i might just start dropping by 20 minutes a week from the current schedule of 16L/8D will see. in the picture is cat pee (bottom left), quiet (top), coffee (bottom right)

CAN'T UPLOAD PICTURES

eight weeks since sewing and i hope the clones catch soon so i can start flower. the coffee showed healthy root nubs fast but the cat pee and the quiet are still minimal nubs. i transferred them to soil so hopefully within a week they will grow roots. also the stem rub of the quiet has gone from lettuce to nicotine

the stems of the coffee and cat pee are quite intense, sweet and perfumy with deep urinal puck/puke. i would say the cat pee has more terps in the leaves but the coffee stem is closer to berries. slowly but surely [quiet(bottom), coffee(top left), cat pee(top right)]

14.JPG

come to find out, the hanes socks i got at walmart, aside from having me vacuum every couple days, has gotten plastic fibers all over the plants and therefore my lungs : (

will do a cleaning and get some new socks and spray the plants down hopefully i can stop any more before flower. imagine looking at a preflower and seeing teeny tiny plastic strings next to it. it's practically invisible except when clumped. can't believe i didn't realize it sooner

eight weeks since sewing and i hope the clones catch soon so i can start flower. the coffee showed healthy root nubs fast but the cat pee and the quiet are still minimal nubs. i transferred them to soil so hopefully within a week they will grow roots. also the stem rub of the quiet has gone from lettuce to nicotine

the stems of the coffee and cat pee are quite intense, sweet and perfumy with deep urinal puck/puke. i would say the cat pee has more terps in the leaves but the coffee stem is closer to berries. slowly but surely [quiet(bottom), coffee(top left), cat pee(top right)]

View attachment 81250
Looking great mate! Can definitely see the NL influence in those leaves! Lovely 😍

10 weeks since sewing and just over two weeks since i started dropping the light schedule by 40 minutes every friday. started two weeks ago wednesday with the first 40 min drop, then two days later got anxious and dropped another 40 since the plants had been ready to go into flower for a few days already. and now today the third drop of 40 min so in 16 days it's gone from 16L/8D to 14L/D

it seems the plants have already been stretching it's kind of hard to tell since no pistils yet but i think from today at 14L/10D and forward flowering should begin. i figured 40 minutes per week would take about 2 months to go from 16L/8D to 10L/14D which is where i will stay in case the plants aren't finished by then

learning more about the cloning and it seems not always cut and dried. for the first round of clones i took the first branches which were at the time overshadowed and spindly and so far only the coffee has rooted and started growing, which is weird since the cat pee was the first to grow a big tap root which kept circling, but the clone to this day is suspended in time frozen. the coffee otoh rooted way after but now is growing great so go figure. the quiet/tobacco i didn't get on that first clone run

i did however take a last round of clones before dropping the light schedule and made sure to take healthy cuts and now at just over two weeks in water they are slowly but surely sprouting nubs and still healthy so i think things will be ok and all clones will be taken of the three phenos

will probably top dress one time soon and that's it, the fertilizer that i mixed into the soil seems to still be doing its thing

first picture: top left coffee, top right cat pee, bottom quiet
second picture: the tall plant is the joti afghani male, and behind it are the new healthy ortega coffee mom, and the big ass taproot yet frozen in time ortega cat pee mom. and the recent clones in water

2024-02-16_tegas1.JPG
2024-02-16_tegas2.JPG

12 weeks since sewing and 4 weeks since i started dropping daylight hours by 40 minutes each week, today was set to 12h:40m. took the flat screen box out to lower the tub by about 4 inches due to stretch, which has taken the smallest growing plant (coffee) to the top of the canopy, even had to trim a few branches

also a few weeks ago top dressed 50g of the promix 4-4-8 pellets at the base of each of the three plants, and the only fertilizing that had been done prior was premixing 300g of 4-4-8 into the soil. i love the sand layer, every other day i pour three 500ml mason jars of water over it all at once and it soaks in evenly, and to top dress or repot just wait for it to dry

same smells as my previous (one seed) grow of this is a general faint pee smell coming from the garden. seems the coffee and the cat pee have more dense crystal formation on the bracts than the quiet, but luckily the quiet is picking up and also giving some fragrance in the stem and most importantly petiole rubs. also, i got just a hint of some super delicious bubble gum either pineapple or strawberry from it one time so now am more interested. coffee and cat pee still with the puke/urine puck stem rubs with coffee edging out

tried putting a ziploc over the clones after hearing it on a podcast and really saved me. i was going from water into soil and there is always the chance the plant will wilt at first (unless like the coffee it rooted immediately without skipping a beat), but using a ziploc for that step saved one clone from the wilt and had a tap root in 2 days and the other is pending but healthy

so i luckily managed to get all 3 plants rooted thank goodness. also i over fed the male joti afghani after repotting/chopping roots and lost it but maybe a good thing since it was a lesson and i don't have the space for breeding anyway. should be good with enjoying the genetics as they arrive from the breeder

bottom - quiet (although getting a chocolate smell in the buds)
top left - coffee (getting a bit more skunky)
top right - cat pee (still cat pee, nice variegation)

2024-03-01_tegas1.JPG
2024-03-01_tegas2.JPG

Last edited:
14 weeks since sewing and the light schedule went from 12/12 to 11:20/12:40 today. in a few weeks will be at 10/14

everything still has the standard sugary/dewy smell including the quiet, and the frost just started to appear after last weeks drop to 12/12. in the logical order too (cat pee then coffee then quiet) since i noticed earlier on that the cat pee had the most pronounced trichomes on the preflowers, closely followed by the coffee and then the quiet

petiole rubs of the upper fan leaves on the cat pee and coffee are a sweet and pure mixed berry juice, while on the quiet still mostly nicotine but maybe a bit of lemon cleaning product mixed in. not counting anything out until the smoke testing

it seems the stretch was prolonged going gradually in 40 minute weekly drops from 14/10, and the onset of frost delayed. i am expecting as the days keep getting shorter for things to ripen completely and to hopefully benefit in yield from the blended veg to flower light schedule as in the studies

first picture: cat pee (bottom left), quiet (top), coffee (bottom right)
second picture: clones of quiet(l), coffee(m), cat pee(r)

2024-03-15_tegas1.JPG
2024-03-15_tegas2.JPG

Last edited:
16 weeks since sewing and the light schedule is 10L/14D from now until harvest. winter came back for a bit and the humidity has been hovering around 20%. many lower leaves have fallen and the hairs are starting to turn orange. the plants have been in a permanent praying position for a few weeks and the leaves are still green with only the slightest tip burn on one of the plants

the cat pee has noticeably more crystal development than the other two and also a bit different looking with the straight hairs vs curly on the others, and the quiet has overtaken the coffee in crystals also. but, the coffee has the most fresh white hairs still and is the largest in bud size so will see how it goes. was hoping to let the plants dry/die in the pot and just cut the lights and let slow dry but they are all at different speeds so maybe will have to chop individually

on the other hand the coffee is ahead of the others in resin smell, giving a sharp cheesy berry smell that is so classic to me while the others are more typical and no less divine smelling, sugary resin smell of fresh cannabis buds. the garden just smells like roses, typical perfumy flower smell with that funk in the middle. all plants are giving berry notes in the petiole rubs though even the quiet on some leaves, which is like strawberry gum. will be interesting to see which will be the keeper

cat pee (bottom left), quiet (top), coffee (bottom right)

2024-03-29_tegas1.JPG
2024-03-29_tegas2.JPG

Last edited:
thanks CanaViper, supercropping was a game changer i never thought of trying until recently. could probably grow a sativa in this space the same way just top and supercrop and keep the shoots tied/trellised

it has been brought to my attention by a member who i would describe as the ken jennings of words

that it's 'sown', not 'sewn'

so....um, ya lol thanks again and noted (d'oh)

Back