Ortega
(Spring 2011)

Specifications

Grow Room Size:
2' x 3' x 5'

Lighting:
250W MH (Veg) 400W HPS (Bloom)

Soil:
2 cu.ft Promix Ultimate Organic soiless mix (omri)
1 cu.ft organic low-nute topsoil (omri)-whatever is available locally
8 qts Miracle Grow perlite-washed thoroughly before use

Potting:
9oz. Hefty Cups (Seedling)
1 gallon Sunleaves Grow Bags (Veg-Bloom)

Nutrients:
Blue Mountain Organics (BMO)
-Grow It Green
-Flower Power
-Foliar Harmony
-Super Plant Tonic

17/18 Germinated in 3 days. 2 were culled.

Ortega_Journal_Collage_Seedling_resize.jpg

Hope you stick around and enjoy the show. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Last edited:
impressed

Sweet intro brother. I like your style. And your grows too always informative. Look forward to this journey my friend.
Thanks for all the help.

Nice lil gals ya got there. :D

I'm takin my seat for the show.
This happens to be another strain I'm interested in.
Where's the popcorn?

Great to see you again, Scrog. Your journals are top notch, and you choose strains that others are very interested in.

I grew an Ortega from Dutch Passion when I got back into the game last year. I wanted a plant to help me fall asleep, and it was being promoted as a great sedative for that purpose. It hermied, I panicked, killed it, and have been wondering ever since what it would have been like. Then Shanti offered his Ortega lines, and the wondering just continues....

I'll be checkin in from time to time!

v

Welcome back, Scrog!

You've made a fine comeback my friend.

Props on the page layout. Isn't it nice to only have to upload 1 pic.

Peace.

Ortega

Wow. Thank you for the outpouring of kindness and encouragement. Well, I've got some good news for those following me this time around. This journal isn't going to take 9-10weeks to finish. In fact, the grow is already finished:) As we speak, the results are just finishing up a month of cure and heading into their second. As I decide what to share and find time to format it so that its a little pleasing to the eyes, I'll continue to post the the glorious life and death of a few lovely ladies. Thank you again for stopping by and I can only hope that when we're finished here, I'll have done this strain justice.

Last edited:
Ortega

Got a couple more updates for you.

To start with, this was a SOG grow. While typically productive, you'll end up with a pretty uneven Ortega canopy without cloning a selected mother. Considering my spacial limitations, I'm unable to do any real selection.

I left these plants to their vegetative growth for about 7 days with an 18/6 light cycle. After approximately 14 days of 12/12 sexes became distinguished.

Out of 18 plants, I was left with 7 healthy females. There may have been more but a couple more plants were culled before showing.

Here is a picture of what I was looking at in week 2.

While not spectacular pictures, I believe they serve their purpose of showing you what you might expect to see in a similarly styled grow.

Ortega_Journal_Collage_Flowering2_resize.jpg

Ortega

By week 3, I had some serious concerns. You'll notice how SATIVA the leaves on these Ortega look. For comparison I've thrown in a couple La Niña. You'll notice how wide those fan leaves look. Actually, I've never grown a plant with wider fan leaves than La Niña. I began wondering if maybe the seed sorter at the MNS camp was broken but Shanti assured me these characteristics could readily be found within each strain.

By the way; the tag-along La Niña's were put straight into Ortega's 12/12 light 2 weeks behind them.

Ortega_Journal_Collage_Flowering3_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Scrog, glad to see your back, and in full force too! I signed up for this thread and can't wait to see the end results. Excellent pictures, the leaves do look thin but no worries still grows like indica nice and short.

You're absolutely right, in spite of leaf structure, they still grow very indica.

good

Scrog,

Nice looking plants. I am also interested in this one as it has been on the radar at camp noshow for sometime.

Not questioning your skills, but just a question overall. I noticed you veg with a 250mh, and then bloom out with a 400hps. My question is...Have you thought even in your small space of running both lights for more yield?, or may it be too hot?, or too small of a space for both in there? Was just curious friend. Stellar grow, and hope you enjoy them greatly. Be well...Ns

Nice work Scrog.. I like how you have done those pics mate.. Shows you have a real love for growing... Or messing with photoshop :)

Scrog,

Nice looking plants. I am also interested in this one as it has been on the radar at camp noshow for sometime.

Not questioning your skills, but just a question overall. I noticed you veg with a 250mh, and then bloom out with a 400hps. My question is...Have you thought even in your small space of running both lights for more yield?, or may it be too hot?, or too small of a space for both in there? Was just curious friend. Stellar grow, and hope you enjoy them greatly. Be well...Ns

Thanks for the input Noshow. It's always appreciated. I would definitely like to be able to do that but as you guessed, heat is the primary issue. I run a 250cfm inline for light hood ventilation and a 125cfm inline for cabinet ventilation and my temps still hover between 79-84F. Further more I'd have to fabricate a hood to hold both at the same time because there is very little clearance around the hood edge.

I've built many a custom grow box and hidden grow room and I can confidently say it's almost impossible to get it all right and stay mostly stealth. Temp is always the #1 issue for the plants and sound is #1 for stealth.

Last edited:
Im wondering how much Shantis finished Ortega resembles my Northern Lights clone in flower. Im mulling over the idea of scoring two packs of Ortega and crossing the nicest male with my NL clone to produce some pure Northern Lights seeds .

Only time will tell so stick around!:) My only input without ruining the ending here is to say that I would HIGHLY recommend getting a couple packs. You wont be disappointed. Grow them out to fruition and then reveg them until you can select a mother based on flavor as basing selection in this strain on structure would be a mistake in my opinion. If you're selecting for breeding, you're on your own. I have no experience with male selection.

Shout out here to Joe King Park! He's probably re-vegged more times than we've had hot meals. He'd be a good guy to ask for advice if anyone does become interested in the re-vegetation of their plants.

Last edited:
Fan Leaf Comparison

Nothing too exciting here but I'll have a week 4 update for you soon. Just trying a new border to see if I like it and showing a fan leaf comparison.

Hopefully, this may prevent others from contacting Shanti wondering if there's been a mix up in their strains. The findings posted in picture below seem counter intuitive if you fall into the rut of believing all indicas should exhibit this and all sativas should exhibit that, as I did. Lesson learned.

Here is a pure indica with sativa leaves and a sativa dominant hybrid with indica fatty leaves.

Fan_Leaf_Comparison.jpg

updates

Scrog,

Any updates friend? Looking good...That fan leaf is crazy fat. Looks like we should call her Stubby...

Re-vegging...I had asked Shanti about it in the past. Not as hard as it seems. A good fert, and turning back the lights timer should do fine to 18/6. Should see results in say 1month, or so. Looking forward to more updates on the Ortega. Be well...Ns

Ortega Update

Sorry this one took a little longer to post. Here are the girls at week 4 of flowering. Lots of short indicas with sativa leaves. A couple were starting to stretch up a bit here. My favorite plants were actually the shortest. They had VERY tight internodal spacing and were already quite resinous by week 4.

Flower_4.jpg

Last edited:
Back