Ortega F2

blowingupjake

Mothership Connection
Howdy mns friends!

I’m back at it- planting 2 Ortega F2s last night.

These were from my very very good friend Argo. I gave Argo half my pack of Ortega from the auction... so 10 seeds maybe.... he gave me back about 200 F2 seeds a few months later. What a nice guy :)
He isn’t on this site but if you are on the bigger public forums look out for him- always an interesting garden on display.

So, enough of the Thank You stuff...
I’ve recently decided that I need to play with more Indica. My trusty Instant Cookie cut is awesome but I’m left wanting more variety for evening smoke. The sativa stable is pretty well established right now (MNS SkunkHaze, Panama Haze from ace and DurbanThai Punch from another good friend) so, I’ve been planting some Indica hybrid varieties over the last couple weeks.

As stated, 2 Ortega F2 got the call last night, straight from the fridge to the plug.
As soon as the roots poke through the plug I will probably transplant into party cups of mixed fine/chunky coco coir but may elect to start with Rockwool and go into coco later.
Veg will be ebb and flow table (megagarden) and MaxiGrow with epson salt.
LED lighting.
Flower will most likely be in the main Ebb bucket system but I may elect to go with water farms. Either way it’ll be GH Flora series + liquid kool bloom. Also LED lighting. If Waterfarm then it’ll be the trusty 600w HiD.

I’m looking forward to keeping an actual journal again- these two will be growing along side many other seed plants and I hope for at least one female sample from the two seeds- if there is potential there these two will be the first of many.
That being said, competition is steep and sites are limited. We’ll see what happens.

Stay tuned, this party should get jumping soon!

Stay hazed

Nice to see you back in the saddle again brah! I am impressed at what male Ortegas can contribute to a cross. Beautiful foliage and great medicine.
Looking forward to your grow out!

Shaka
Mu

G’Day Lads and Ladies!

Thank you much for swinging by fellas.

Well, we’re already off to a bumpy start. 7 days since planting and it looks like only one of the Ortega F2s wants to party. We will see how the stars align so that I can plant some more.

Mulligan!!!

Howdy MNS family!

The last batch didn’t make it through quite a bit of turmoil.
Things in the garden are finally back on the right track so I’m trying again.

4 more F2s went into my organic soil mix today.

These will just be samplers to see what’s in the line as I have a breeding project going on that will require most of my gardens space and energy.

Hopefully these 4 will prove interesting enough to play a larger role moving forward ;)

Will let y’all know when they sprout.

any idea what the parent selections looked like?
Ortega throws a pretty diverse phenos. selection is important.

I wouldn't call any of the phenos "nighttime" weed, if by nighttime you mean lights out sleepy time.

any idea what the parent selections looked like?
Ortega throws a pretty diverse phenos. selection is important.

I wouldn't call any of the phenos "nighttime" weed, if by nighttime you mean lights out sleepy time.

Howdy,

I don’t really remember how he selected his parent plants, or what they looked like (even though I know I saw them in person lol)
I’m sure I could go through Argos journal at another forum and find some info but idk, it doesn’t seem that important to me... I trust his eye for selection. Like I said, this is really just a trial to see what these seeds might be holding. No real pressure or plans for this line right now.

Out of curiosity, How many Ortega did you see? I’ve heard from a few growers there are Narcotic phenos in Ortega so I am confused by your experience.
Thanks for stopping in Cptn. :)

In other news- 4/4 Ortega F2 are above ground, I expect they’ll all be collecting rays when I go to check on the garden before work in the morning :D

Howdy

We’re off to the races.
Ortega F2 1-4.
You will notice #1 is “trifoliate”

3C9DE801-BFCF-475D-BC83-E65567B794AD.jpeg

0AF708C4-853D-4338-9048-AEA26822CDEB.jpeg

Gonna try my best to keep them happy :)

Howdy,

I don’t really remember how he selected his parent plants, or what they looked like (even though I know I saw them in person lol)
I’m sure I could go through Argos journal at another forum and find some info but idk, it doesn’t seem that important to me... I trust his eye for selection. Like I said, this is really just a trial to see what these seeds might be holding. No real pressure or plans for this line right now.

Out of curiosity, How many Ortega did you see? I’ve heard from a few growers there are Narcotic phenos in Ortega so I am confused by your experience.
Thanks for stopping in Cptn. :)

In other news- 4/4 Ortega F2 are above ground, I expect they’ll all be collecting rays when I go to check on the garden before work in the morning :D

I grew the whole pack. Been a while.
Found 3 pretty distinct phenos.

I was hoping ortega was night time all the way. I thought Ortega's thing is that it is narcotic and muscle relaxing.

There is an NL1 pheno in there that may give you what you want.
The dominant pheno is 5x2.
3 out of 5 plants lean that way and in my experience, they all had a strangely stimulating effect.
Not sleepy time at all.

The different NL lines were all hybrids with a common steve murphy afghani parent and different outcrosses.
The "5x2" pheno seems like it was made with some kind of sativa by the effects but the terps are straight juniper which prompted Nevil to describe NL#2 as a "Kush" type. The large flat top colas also supported this characterization by him.

I let the NL1 pheno go too long before chopping and I think I lost some potency on it. Not sure, maybe just a poor example of the NL1, but it sure looked the part. Extremely resinous (looked like granulated sugar), short, dense ping pong balls. Colorful. Fastest finisher of the bunch.

It's been ~8 years since I did my run, so I don't know if Shanti's current version will produce the same results.

If I were looking for sleepy time meds, I'd run an OG Kush.
Fastest way to flatline your brain that I have seen in cannabis today.

Last edited:
Back