Opening up The Doors

Marcus_in_the_Darkus

Not many grow logs on The Doors. I see it as Shanti's re-make of Neville's Haze, using the AC male. Still unknown for certain if the Nl5Hz mother of The Doors was HzA or HzC, but reading Yosemite Sam's grow log from 2011, the darker tastes sounds like the Haze A comes through. I've been really wanting to grow this strain for a couple years now, so I decided to pop half of a straw's worth of seeds to see what I can find. As much as I love searching for Punto Rojo and growing 20-week sativas, I miss hunting through Shanti's gear for great aromas, tastes and effects. And a long-legged hazy Doors pheno would probably be done in 16 weeks, which is quick in my sativa-centric paradigm. I'll veg these plants outside this summer, and select a few to clone and flower in the fall. I'll keep the males outside to observe them and collect pollen while I move the girls indoors.

It's gonna be a long haul but good things lie ahead.

The_Doors_seeds_May_2019.jpg

Musashi, you said you were going to run some of The Doors soon, please feel free to post up in here if you do. It would be a challenge for me to even approach your growing skills, brother.

I may be popping a couple of these if my last Highland Mexican x Blueberry F1s are duds.

I can't wait to see what you get.

Not many grow logs on The Doors. I see it as Shanti's re-make of Neville's Haze, using the AC male. Still unknown for certain if the Nl5Hz mother of The Doors was HzA or HzC, but reading Yosemite Sam's grow log from 2011, the darker tastes sounds like the Haze A comes through. I've been really wanting to grow this strain for a couple years now, so I decided to pop half of a straw's worth of seeds to see what I can find. As much as I love searching for Punto Rojo and growing 20-week sativas, I miss hunting through Shanti's gear for great aromas, tastes and effects. And a long-legged hazy Doors pheno would probably be done in 16 weeks, which is quick in my sativa-centric paradigm. I'll veg these plants outside this summer, and select a few to clone and flower in the fall. I'll keep the males outside to observe them and collect pollen while I move the girls indoors.

It's gonna be a long haul but good things lie ahead.

The_Doors_seeds_May_2019.jpg

Musashi, you said you were going to run some of The Doors soon, please feel free to post up in here if you do. It would be a challenge for me to even approach your growing skills, brother.

G `day MITD

I highly doubt the Doors is made with NL Hz A .
I once asked Shanti re his NL Hz he said NL Hz C .

I grew C5 x Doors . It was one of my favourites from that run . More pine /fuel than leather /incensense .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Aloha Marcus!

I am excited to see you taking the initiatiive here. I know you gonna kill it braddah!
I look forward to your grow and your final assessment of the Doors and perhaps a comparison to the PR you have been growing. It wouild be nice to find something stellar in the 16 week or less range eh. One can hope :)

In the meantime, sativa pics! Here is some Vietnam Black I grew a while back.

black nam1.jpgblack nam2.jpg

black nam3.jpgblack nam4.jpg

black nam5.jpgblack nam6.jpg
Vietnam Black

Shaka
Mu

Thanks all for the well wishes.

@PMB - I was tempted to pop some of the Colombo x (Mex x BB) seeds that Fish made when I was digging through my seed stash yesterday, but I had to open The Doors. :) Hope your grow works out well this year.

@EB - Yeah, I agree it's highly unlikely the Doors mum is Nl5HzA, but I'd like to find a worthy male in this bunch, hopefully Haze-A-leaning, to try some Doors crosses of my own. Thanks for checking in.

@Musashi - Wow. That Vietnam Black is gorgeous, and beautifully grown. Interesting how dark the leaves are compared to the Colombian heirlooms I've been growing. I have yet to attempt any Southeast Asian genetics but that would be a great place to start.

I gave these 10 Doors seeds a 24-hr soak in a filtered aloe-water solution and they all dropped to the bottom of the shot glass within a few hours. Popped them in peat pucks and put them over a 75° heat mat. Looking forward to some MNS germination rates after so many duds lately from old seeds.

10 of 10 seeds germinated and I have 10 little The Doors seedlings in my care. Gotta love a 100% germination rate from MNS seeds.

I'll 2nd that, Never ever had a issue with germination with any mr nice stock.

@Marcus_in_the_Darkus Glad
Looking forward to this couldn't think of anybody better suited for the job! I have a clearing auction pack simone kindly added to the auction a couple years back after i found scrub's thread on the doors. Those seeds are under lock and key;)

Last edited:
Thanks all for the well wishes.

@PMB - I was tempted to pop some of the Colombo x (Mex x BB) seeds that Fish made when I was digging through my seed stash yesterday, but I had to open The Doors. :) Hope your grow works out well this year.

@EB - Yeah, I agree it's highly unlikely the Doors mum is Nl5HzA, but I'd like to find a worthy male in this bunch, hopefully Haze-A-leaning, to try some Doors crosses of my own. Thanks for checking in.

@Musashi - Wow. That Vietnam Black is gorgeous, and beautifully grown. Interesting how dark the leaves are compared to the Colombian heirlooms I've been growing. I have yet to attempt any Southeast Asian genetics but that would be a great place to start.

I gave these 10 Doors seeds a 24-hr soak in a filtered aloe-water solution and they all dropped to the bottom of the shot glass within a few hours. Popped them in peat pucks and put them over a 75° heat mat. Looking forward to some MNS germination rates after so many duds lately from old seeds.

G `day MID

My exp with Haze AC it adds pine terps like C5 not leather like A5 .

This girl has the leather . C5 x NL A

JlPOApg.jpg

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Thanks for the compliment, Masey. EB, those look great. Please LMK if I can ever snag some of that 5HzA pollen.

A week after popping these beans I have some thriving seedlings. They all germinated, but Doors#10 (upper right) had a bad sense of direction, shooting the root into the air. It's attempting an underground sumersault and it'll be interesting to see if it pulls through. I believe I can already see sativa vs Indica structure at this early stage (i.e., Doors#1, lower left, and Doors#2, to its right). I'm keeping an eye on #1. I'm going to veg them outdoors, and am hardening them up. I'll transfer to 6" pots in a few weeks.

IMG_20190606_132832719.jpg

If I was more organised and less useless I'd have my grow room set up by now and would have grown my pack of The Doors a long side your grow.

Very interested in what you find here, best of luck with the grow.

A couple weeks in and they're doing well in the summer sun. Except for the two (#8 and #9) that I mistakenly guillotined when they had long, floppy weak stems. Here are the survivors, in the missing man formation. Plant #10 is the one that had a bad sense of direction; took it a while to get itself uprighted.

I'm also going to run some Guatemala Quetzelita with this batch.

The_Doors_plants.jpg

RIP #8 and #9, I've never had much luck with the ones who grow the wrong way, they always seem to stay runts, hopefully yours comes right for you.

I have a soft spot for runts. The runt I decided to let live in my Angel's Breathe grow turned out to be the hazy keeper, and the mother of the best plant I've grown.

Keep the runts!

You NEVER KNOW until you smoke it.

My "trademark" was the runt of the batch of seeds sprouted. She turned out better than the rest, and is a fantastic yielding plant.

She was only slow in relation to the others, and once straightened out an incredibly resilient plant. It's been my main plant for I think 5 years now.

It's a (Highland Mexican x Blueberry)xed to a presumably "sweet tooth" from a Chimera "ultamix pack" that were all from the Chimera/DJ short blueberry Xs.

So definitely half blueberry and a quarter HMxBB, probably Sweet Pink Grapefruit as the last piece.

Keep the runts!

You NEVER KNOW until you smoke it.

My "trademark" was the runt of the batch of seeds sprouted. She turned out better than the rest, and is a fantastic yielding plant.

She was only slow in relation to the others, and once straightened out an incredibly resilient plant. It's been my main plant for I think 5 years now.

Yer no way I'd toss it just yet, I've only tossed them in the past because there wasn't the room.

Medicine

Markus,

Truly have all my life been an indica type guy. The strain your growing is beyond...just plain awesome. I've had multiple choices from different growers. All were damn good, but one stood out. It was like the others, but if you didn't watch it. You were headed towards what was an unlimited ceiling. I was a heavy smoker at the time, and this was the one. By "The One..." I mean as follows. It changed my mind on indica vs sativa. I still like indicas, but most of what I prefer now is the uppity medication.

I found at as for medicine. I am chronic pain among other issues. This pheno of the doors. It overloaded me, and not in a bad way. My body shut down, and for the two days I had that. Only two days in 3 years I slept thru the night. Like a baby...Whatever you use it for. I believe you will enjoy what you get. Best to you...Ns

Seed plants at ~ 2 months

Greetings MNS Brethren,

I'm happy with The Doors thus far after about two months from seed. These pics are about a week old and they are still in these tiny 4" pots; I plan to up-pot them to 6" pots today. Currently they are about 2 feet tall, and in the hot sun they drink like thirsty sailors. Aromas in veg are wonderful, powerful. The word stench comes to mind. Makes me wonder if the skunk terpenes in the AC male are coming through. A couple of the girls have been showing preflowers for a couple weeks now. I just now went out to do some stem rubs and sex the plants, with results below:

D1: ♀ Funk incense
D2: ♀ Funk citrus/incense/leather
D3: ♀ Funk floral
D4: ♂ Carrots? Leather? Really hard to pin down but interesting.
D5: ♀ Pine lime
D6: ♀ Funk floral
D7: ♀ Funk floral
D10: ♀Funk floral citrus

So only one male out of eight plants. Fortunately, that one male has unique aromas that make me hopeful that some Haze A traits are present. The funk stench is prevalent in these plants, suggesting fairly uniform chemotypes, as noted in other grow logs of The Doors. At this stage the funk in some of the plants is fairly putrid on the stem bub, but pleasant when the breeze passes over the plants and the aromas waft through the window.

I'll take cuts in a week or so and hopefully flower them in late August. The Guatemala Quetzalitas are also doing well in the veg cabinet, other than one of five that I killed. The biggest one has leaves that are notably wider than the rest, which are quite uniform.

The Doors #1 through #4, left to right.
The_Doors_before_up_potting_1-4.jpg

The Doors #5, #6, #7 and #10, left to right.
The_Doors_before_up_potting_5-10.jpg

Last edited:
The Doors - Transplanted

The Doors #10 is the one that had the bad sense of direction and executed an underground somersault. It has an interesting root structure that reflects its tribulations.

The_Doors_10_somersault_root_structure.jpg

Here are The Doors transplanted into slightly larger pots, where they will remain until senescence or death by freezing. #1 is on the left, #10 is on the right.

The_Doors_transplanted.jpg

Back