Old School - The Seedbank/MNS #Gravity

To be honest i'm not surprised it's not remade, 0 to gain. The ship sailed for the regular seed market a very long time ago.

I don't think so... there is a big market for this stuff.. just see all these overseas breeders selling old strain sensi seeds, old hashplant etc..
moreover if until a few years ago the regular m/f seed market seemed on the brink of death (in Europe), now the trend seems to be changing
Shanti is sitting on a gold mine and he has the skills to exploit it... maybe his children will

from what Shanti says, Ortega has never changed

this is what he says about the lineage https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-...anti-will-you-reveal-genes-your-ortega-4.html

Originally Posted by shantibaba View Post
HI all

well Ortega was based on work from Neville and was a selection of an afghan which was also known Northern Lights 1. It was then consumed under the Sensi seeds label when Neville sold it.Breeder Steve made a selection of his version and it was a good plant.

I am using the old seed from 1987 of Nev, not a big selection came up but was a quality strain and full of excellent stable phenotypes. It is not an F1 seed but an inbreed line and after the selection work parts of it are being used in other hybrids and research work.

It tends to flower bwteen 6-8 weeks at 12/12, and enjoys a strong feeding regime. Unlike the large colas of flower clusters it produces flowers up the stem of medium size but density is on its side.

More in the medicinal range of plants for those with muscular tension disorders and for those who need to stimulate appetite and sleep...as far as i am concerned. But we can add to it everybody who does a thread to get a better over view....hope that helps a little Sb

Last edited:
@Cptn thanks for the correction on Ortega, absolutely no offence taken.

I assume the Gravity 4 version would be (NL1 x HP) x (AfgT x Ort15)

@Cptn is Uncle Andy still with us?

Oh MAN!
Haven't heard him called that in many years. I haven't heard from him since I met him and his friend for smoke and a 12 pack at a hotel in Mendo when I was visiting out there.
Second hand stories about hardship and the falling out with his friend who I did a little project with ~2012.

I don't know how to get in touch with him anymore if he's still kicking :-(

I love the idea that the #4 version would be AfgT x Ort15 male like you suggest.
I've been questing for AfgT genetics for many years.

Not sure what to think about what Nev told him about the "northwest afghan giant."
Like I mentioned earlier about Nev, it had to be hard to give absolute answers to people with questions like that when the came to him with a name and a story.
I've heard NL Greg mention "northwest afghan giant" coming from some bikers in Oregon.

Answers to so much of this stuff will ultimately never be 100% certain. Nailing things down gets harder every day as original players (1st generation commercial genetic pioneers like Nev) get older and/or drop out of contact.

I feel lucky to have been here when Nev was posting. It was easier to be in the information stream that was flowing than to go back now and try and reconstruct it.
Even being there like many others were, there is often an element of interpreting/decoding and correlation/connecting to other data point required to get something that makes sense.

Nevil did his work, and we have little public documentation of what he had to work with and/or the full body of seed stock he created besides what made it into the catalogs.

Then, others did things with that work, presumably with less than complete information about what they were working with. They put it on the market and have to balance the descriptions between selling and informing.

Later, customers ask questions about the lines made with his work, sometimes even about products put out by OTHER breeders using Nev's seed stock sharing similar if not identical names but different pedigrees.

So much room for confusion.

Only advice I could give would be to not be in a hurry to know the truth, because like a jigsaw puzzle, sometimes it takes a while for enough pieces to be locked in before you get a clear view of what you are looking at.

Here's a pic of 5 Ortegas.
Can anyone guess which is the baby poo pheno and which is the NL#1 girl?
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1130336.JPG
    P1130336.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 124
Ok found a post from nev by chance and thankfully the penny has finally dropped took a while :)

Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. It's Maple Leaf AfgT, which I crossed with Ort15 male which was also pure Maple Leaf. This was the most indica ML male. This male dominated most things it was put to. Because of this males dominance, you had to grow a few plants to find the AfgT type. It also didn't have the yield I wanted so I didn't release it then. SB was right to use this line as it is one of the few sources left of the Pure Maple Leaf. When it is crossed to an Indica/Sativa out of AfgT or it's sister AfgS, I'm expecting some extreme shit.
N.

Bless you Cptn your input was highly valued. If all else fails I have a good idea of the combinations which make G4.

I'll have to keep a eye out for the next spring cleaning auctions

At this rate I'll need a deep freezer for seed

Last edited:
Ok found a post from nev by chance and thankfully the penny has finally dropped took a while :)

Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. It's Maple Leaf AfgT, which I crossed with Ort15 male which was also pure Maple Leaf. This was the most indica ML male. This male dominated most things it was put to. Because of this males dominance, you had to grow a few plants to find the AfgT type. It also didn't have the yield I wanted so I didn't release it then. SB was right to use this line as it is one of the few sources left of the Pure Maple Leaf. When it is crossed to an Indica/Sativa out of AfgT or it's sister AfgS, I'm expecting some extreme shit.
N.

That's the one mate.
I used to have a text file with links to important Nev quotes but it got lost with a dead laptop.
Nev's posts up here are a treasure trove of info, but it takes work to go through them and really get the gold.

That quote basically tells the story of ASH and Nordle. That's why Nev talked about it that way. It was a breeding project he knew he had given Shanti and that Shanti had done something with.
"When it is crossed to an Indica/Sativa out of AfgT" (ASH) "or it's sister AfgS" (Nordle).
Can't be sure exactly what Shanti did with the lines, but they are the basic building blocks in there.

He didn't make it easy for us, but the info is there
Remember, Super Skunk was AfgT x Skunk. Shanti doesn't sell that.

Nevil left a trail of golden breadcrumbs to the history behind Shanti's gear all over this site.
It's amazing how he avoided going into full blown sales mode. It must have been tempting.
If only he could have done a bit of work collaborating with Shanti, he could have answered all the questions that Shanti seems happy to leave mysteries forever.

Shanti says he has Nev's original notes on all the seeds he got from him, and I believe him.
That doesn't do us any good though as they sit in some folder somewhere, ink fading, paper turning yellow, waiting to be lost or left behind by accident and never seen again.

I wish he would just scan it all and post it, instead of saving it till he has time for some greater purpose that will probably never arrive.

The trolls that swarmed on Nevil, provoked him and ran him off, did a huge disservice to the cannabis community.
They should carry the weight of that shame for all their days.

To be honest we have more than enough here, especially with the auctions we're better treated than anyone else.

The mysteries keep us curious and sharp. Breeding should take you of the beaten track occasionally.

Lastly we have a great library of notes on this forum with the right application incredibly useful.

Out of curiosity what did you do with the NL1 girl ........self?

To be honest we have more than enough here, especially with the auctions we're better treated than anyone else.

The mysteries keep us curious and sharp. Breeding should take you of the beaten track occasionally.

Lastly we have a great library of notes on this forum with the right application incredibly useful.

Out of curiosity what did you do with the NL1 girl ........self?
We'll have to agree to disagree on what is reasonable to expect from Shanti.
I love the man and the auctions and forum as a repository of Nevil data is invaluable. There are just some things I wish he would do for us that disappoint me when he doesn't.

The smoke from the NL#1 girl was boring and lacked power. I don't know if it was because I kept her going 2 weeks longer than I should have or if it was just a beautiful pheno with no punch. Even in NL#1 they are not all winners.
Remember, Ortega is a mashup of NL genetics, so even though she had all the outward physical traits of pure NL#1, it doesn't mean she would smoke like the best NL#1 pheno you have ever heard of.

It's possible that with a second round, she might have done much better. But I had other gear I wanted to run and no place to keep mothers at the time.

The keeper from the Ortega run for taste, effects and bag appeal was the Baby Poo pheno (golden girl in the back left of the pic I shared.)
She was a 10 week flower plant and yes, she really was golden (with red leaves).

I made F2's, crossing her and a male I selected in veg as her identical twin.
I also pollinated her with a Doc Atomic NL male.

A run of 16 plants from the Atomic NL cross produced one very special extreme indica girl. There were actually 2 that were similar, but I couldn't keep them all.
In round 1, she was completely overshadowed by the appearance of the other 7 (6) plants, but there was a strong stink of affy coming from the table where they were running the last 2 weeks or so before harvest.
I couldn't tell which plant was making the smell till I chopped them and found that she was covered with a strong greasy stinky resin.
I picked 3 phenos to go forward with in a second round, 2 big vigorous girls that looked like classic NL5 and this smaller stinky girl.

In the second round, she was the clear winner.

A true 8 weeker. Fast compact bush with a heavy afghan stink.
Potent, with a perfect classic affy taste, smell, effect.
Here she was at harvest:
attachment.php

The other 2 couldn't compare. Although much more vigorous and higher yielding. Their smell, taste and effects were bland and they took 10 weeks to finish.

All of that work is lost now . . . Don't ask :(

Attachments

• P1250928.JPG
    P1250928.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
The Doc A's cross with Ortegapoo sounds nice. I hope those weren't lost.

Nevil commented on a picture of Dr. atomic's NL male saying something like that's what a good male would look like.

OrtegaPoo.
Damn! That's really great man :)
Can't believe I didn't think of that

She was top shelf Fishy, but yeah, it's gone.
Godzilla came to town and took everything.

There are a lot of people selling NL now that say they are from old stock. I have to believe some of the stories must be true.
I've got a fresh pack of Ortega and my fingers are crossed that Shanti hasn't changed anything in the last 9 or 10 years so I can find my stinky golden girl again.

Guys excellent info here... :)

Just wanna ask you once I see so many good info at one point.

Can someone tell me what SS Afghan#1 used to be?

I mean the litlle hashplant, which had popcorn buds all over the place. Was ready in 8 start of week?
Actually the baby poo pheno photo here, it is how it used to look for me, maybe not so white

After reading so much info, it kinda is like your description of NL1 maybe Ortega, is it somwhere near?

¨
Iam asking cause i had plant in 2002-5 I dont recall, but bought the seeds in 2016, and didnt find this, or anythin similar.

Sorry for taking it here, but you know. If you dont mind.

Last edited:
Guys excellent info here... :)

Just wanna ask you once I see so many good info at one point.

Can someone tell me what SS Afghan#1 used to be?

I mean the litlle hashplant, which had popcorn buds all over the place. Was ready in 8 start of week?
Actually the baby poo pheno photo here, it is how it used to look for me, maybe not so white

After reading so much info, it kinda is like your description of NL1 maybe Ortega, is it somwhere near?

¨
Iam asking cause i had plant in 2002-5 I dont recall, but bought the seeds in 2016, and didnt find this, or anythin similar.

Sorry for taking it here, but you know. If you dont mind.

When you say "SS Afghani #1" do you mean "Sensi Seeds Afghani #1"?

I haven't grown it so I can't answer any questions about what they sell under that name.
Sorry P3Ci

When you say "SS Afghani #1" do you mean "Sensi Seeds Afghani #1"?

I haven't grown it so I can't answer any questions about what they sell under that name.
Sorry P3Ci

Yes, exactly sensi..

I always wanted to make my ultimate parentage of this afghani lady.
So I bought 2 packs long after getting rid of this... I regret this very fast tho...no similar pheno of Affie :(

I managed to find very, very old photo of this plant.. Actually motherplant from cut and flowered cut. You can see the color change in flowering.
Afghani1.jpg

AghaniFlowers.jpg

Now I have some Ortega and Devil to try. Well hope to see something :)

Last edited:
Here's Nev's post about the NL#5 seed project.
Apparently he was on BX8
Nice pic of 5x2 in post above it.
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-...0-seed-pick-up-cannabis-castle.html#post81225

So ping pong buds with spears . . . sounds like somewhere between NL#1 and #5, right? "In-between" pheno. Usually 50% of an F1 will display traits combined from both parents.
That fruityness could have come from the #5. I smelled something like that in my run of Doc Atomic NL#5.
Then ethanol sounds kinda vaporous, which you might get by mixing juniper with rotting fruit.
Just throwing out possible ways terps and traits from the known parental inputs could combine to produce phenos you saw.

Shanti's selection of parents for Ortega from such poly-hybrid stock would make all the difference as far as phenos we get to see.
It can't be easy taking somebody else's "grab bag" of genetics like that and making something people want to come back for more.
:respect:
I just bought a fresh pack, hoping to find my baby poo princess again ;-)

'89 Northern Lights #5 originates from Nevil's NL#5 Bx8 project, it's basically an IBL from it.
user451998_pic2002936_1579148836.jpg

Hey guys, interesting stuff.
Remember, there were 2 NL#5 Clones, the #5 Nevil got from the US and his own NL#5 selected cut.
My memory is failing me but wasn't Nevs NL#5 clone derived from the NL#1 Batch?
1-4 were Afghanica types with #5 onwards being Afghan X NLD types, the US #5 was crossed with Hawaiian Sat?
I'm getting to old to remember all this.
Pretty sure Scott has stated the current Ortega is also derived from NL#1 genetics?
I'm probably wrong!
I have to admit, the NL#5 X Afghan Pheno I've seen pictured(not sure who,s pic) screams NL!!

TH Seeds Zero GravityGravity floated its way to T.H. Seeds on a long journey. In 1999 it started her in Amsterdam in limited batches from Neville and Shanti Baba. This multi hybrid indica proved itself by being kept alive for years only to return to Amsterdam, this time as a clone... We created Zero-Gravity by breeding this clone with our Afghan.

Zero-Gravity is one of our favorite strains to smoke at the moment and it`s not hard to understand why. The combination of a supersweet flavor and very satisfying high make this plant a delightful bite for any moment.

Espext big yields of supersticky weed from our latest genetic development
Nevil: Gravity was a 4 way indica I made for Sensi using an extremely potent Hash Plant x NL1 as the mother. There were a couple of versions. The effect was seriously heavy. Gravity!

I don't think Captain Caveman ever made seeds with it. His was an original cut he kept for years . . . Gravity #4. So any seeds from him would have to be S1's or hybrids.
He has been "off the map" for a while now.
The only guy he trusted to keep a cut of it for him had a falling out with him.
He is also not around (it wasn't the user "Gravity" mentioned above BTW.)
I believe Matt Riot tried to get a cut of it from CC but don't think that ever happened.

Nevil did a lot of breeding projects where he combined like with like. Most never made it into catalogs.
Shanti's Nordle is pulled from a project like that: Afg T, Afg S, Ort15 and Skunk. All mixed together. Completely different from Gravity of course. Just an example of a "Like+Like" project Nev did.

Gravity was a pretty rare one.
CC used to send me pics where he threw a Gravity #4 bud at the wall and it stuck, or a bud hanging suspended from his finger by nothing but resin.
Hashplant indeed.

I hate losing contact with old friends like CC. Weed life is hard. :(
People getting involved these days in legal places will never understand.
A sure did make seeds with her. I had a big bag. Gravity x G13 haze. They didn’t turn out like gravity.
There was Uzbek in the gravity. I think taskenti.

Back