Odor Control Help!

arpege

I really need help. I try and learn what I can by reading and experience but this is something that is an emergency. I have a BCNL Producer. It has a little carbon filter attached to it but it doesn't work. The fan is inadequate. Computer size. The fan pushes out into the filter but the whole room stinks. My problem is this. The box is in a outside garage with no way to cut holes for ventilation. I can now smell the plants when I am near it. I never had to worry about odor and I am freaking out because I have neighbors. Neighbors with a spot attached to mine. The area is about 10x 20 by 10 feet high. How do I scrub it? Will a good size fan and carbon filter do the job? I need this figured out immediately or I have to scrap everything. Any help will be appreciated.

howdy arpege

how you do?
respect

am near to sadness at when you to relate you stress

with respect to you garden such and such bcnl am not familiar to such and such design

similar

am keen to think such box to being within contain intake to exhaust
rather to cut new intake to exhaust

indeed analysis to intake area with respect to garden area require to you

to depend within preference to you at how to align such and such
such

one perspective am keen to think rather to filter air within you total space more efficients to filter you garden air

am keen to think perhap you box with respect to cpu fan perhap much resistance with respect to various airflow within

such to think
within seal garden only intake to exhaust
proper analysis to area within match to fan to filter
such and such cfm to static pressure within filter preference

similar thinks to filter total space you garden within
rather to filter large space to being diffuse within aroma

one perspective am keen to think filter within most near to source to odor

indeed you to filter air within you box
similar
perhap you to preference filter air within you space you box to being within

exact principle to filter you air with respect to negative pressure and resistance and static pressure

such scale to vary

respect

positive vibrations to you and yours

i'd say try a decent sized carbon filter and fan if you can. that will definitely help if not totally solve the problem. air flow can be very complicated and it can be overwhelming to configure your ideal air intake, outtake, and correct cfm (cubic feet of air moved per meter of a given area) on the fly. a decent sized carbon filter and fan is an excellent place to begin.

Hey arpege,
This is just a serving suggestion and i may have calculated wrong so a pinch of salt;).
I think you have 2000 cubic feet of air in the room,a 500cfm fan connected to suitable carbon filter,should exchange the air once every 5 mins or there abouts.
Your looking for a negative pressure in the room,(air is sucked into the room as opposed to being pushed out).
you wouldn't have to exhaust outside the room(but it would be ideal if it could be)all stale air is passed through the filter and back into the room,it wouldn't help with heat dissipation but it would remove a large percentage of the odor.

Thanks everyone for the input. Heat isn't an issue ATM. I think I am going to go with the fan and filter in the room and see how it goes. I will be sure to post results.

howdy aperage

how you do?
respect

one perspective am keen to think perhap you enjoy to channel within split you duck to you fan filter such to think you wish to recirculate total room area to filter air

such to think air to follow within flow to resistance

rather to wish to create negative pressure within you total area dynamic environment
perhap you to split you duck with attach direct to you box

such to think size you duck split within proper analysis to you box area
similar
within proper analysis to you total area you box being within

with not direct attach to you box
various draft within you dynamic area perhap marginalize you effort

such to think
within direct connect to you box exhaust
similar
split within you duct to fan within filter
you to filter within most sage effort

similar at when to size you equipment
efficient within proper analysis to dynamic environment

respect

positive vibrations to you and yours

@arpege - I built a odour scrubber with a salvaged air hockey table fan, a very large plastic container that some kind of body builder food supplement came in (not mine) and some plywood for ducting. It works pretty good, I put a layer of furnace filter in the bottom and activated charcoal from the pet store. Total cost was less than $25.

One thing that I do is I spray a rust proofing spray on things nearby the door, something like WD40 could work. Just trying to mask the smell with something 'garage' appropriate. It could save you ass while you sort out your odour control.

Good luck!

BTW downside to the odour scrubber is the fan noise, that's a problem for me if anyone goes in the barn while it's on.

Arpege,

I would suggest an appropriate size carbon filter with the CORRECT size fan to go along with it. for your issue I would suggest scrubbing the inside air every 2 min. so if you have 2000 cu/ft of air you would want to scrub at least a 1000cfm to achieve cleaning your entire volume of 2000 cu/ft every 2m. for a can-filter 125 you would use a 14in fan that runs 1120cfm. It is very important you use the correct cfm to size if charcoal filter. you need enough air pulling through to allow the correct contact time with the carbon for it to work properly. if you pull to little or to much the filter is ineffective.

Not sure that you need to scrub the whole room that the box is in. That's some big ass equipment, expensive, and loud, though it would work. How big is your actual grow box? As long as you have negative pressure in the box and an appropriate filter and fan for it's size to exhaust, you should just be able to exhaust the air from the box right into the room. As long as you say heat is not an issue. And if it's a barn or garage or whatever it shouldn't be air tight so fresh air will find it's way in.

I am going to call BCNL tomorrow and see what they suggest. The problem I am running into is the box pumps Co2 every six minutes for a few seconds to keep the ppm up at I believe somewhere around 1400. The exhaust fan to the filter runs the whole time so it is kind of a waste of gas fighting to keep the ppm up. A bigger fan or ducting attached sucking out of the box would really defeat the purpose of co2.

I was looking at the Ona pro gel. Does it really work or just kind of mask odor. I need there to be nothing suspicious.

i can't tell if it will fix your situation. but i would try, it's not that expensive. it seems to neutralize the odor.

Hiya mate,:)

Hope you managed to tame those smells!

As a back up, I allways stick a couple of cheap supermarket air fresheners on the end of my extractor ducting.

You know the stand up type, which you peel of the sticky front label exposing the smelly gel/jelly compound inside.:D

I pay about 50 pence (UK) each for them, and they work. Just got to remeber to replace them, cos they only last 2/3 weeks, but at that price, who cares.

I also use a massive overkill carbon filter too, far too big for my set up. I guess i like to be safe.

Good luck mate!!:cool:

I am going to call BCNL tomorrow and see what they suggest. The problem I am running into is the box pumps Co2 every six minutes for a few seconds to keep the ppm up at I believe somewhere around 1400. The exhaust fan to the filter runs the whole time so it is kind of a waste of gas fighting to keep the ppm up. A bigger fan or ducting attached sucking out of the box would really defeat the purpose of co2.

You can tie your exhaust fan in to your co2 thermostadt so that when your co2 is pumping out the exhaust fan turns off.
Or you can time your co2 to turn on for certain times throughout the day and then also time the exhaust fan to turn off while the co2 is set to distribute.

You can tie your exhaust fan in to your co2 thermostadt so that when your co2 is pumping out the exhaust fan turns off.
Or you can time your co2 to turn on for certain times throughout the day and then also time the exhaust fan to turn off while the co2 is set to distribute.

Are you familiar with the timer unit on the BCNL Producer? Do you know this for a fact?
They told me otherwise.
The Co2 is controlled by time not a thermostat. Neither or the fans. The fans run constantly when the lights are on and the Co2 runs every 6 minutes for a few seconds. There is not a way to turn the fans off while the co2 goes on. Its a waste of gas.

Security 1st! If it comes down to it you can just stop using the C02 for a cycle until you get everything worked out. I'd rather have a smaller yield then no yield and end up in jail.
Get a carbon filter for sure HTGSupply has them cheap and they are very effecient. You can save money or use a CanFan...one thing with the carbon filters are you need to keep the temps below 90F or they don't work very well..also high humidity (70%+) and the carbon filter won't work properly. I would think it through so you don't waste cash on a garage you won't be able to cool properly. I use Ona Gel to supplement extra stinky strains, SuperSkunk and other "skunky" plants sometimes put those filters to the test! Ona works great for a day or two then needs replaced. Nice to have for those extra smelly strains but definitely not strong enough on its own to cover the smell a few days then its merely a light masking effect. CarbonFilters are tried and true as long as temps and humidity are controlled, hope this helps

one step..

One step at a time..

Attachments

• tmp_20131025_221234-1394026857.jpg
    tmp_20131025_221234-1394026857.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 7
Back