NL5xAfghan

Ptit Joe

Last saturday I popped 15 NL5xAfghan seeds. 7/8 seeds had a good looking and the rest of the pack was mostly grey so I chose the best 15 (I expected something like 60% maybe 70% to germinate but they all sprouted after only 2 days :) )
Monday I put them in coco pellets under a 125w CFL but as they are growing nicely, today I transplanted them in small pots (11cmx11cm) with some Lightmix. Depending on their growth, I plan to let them under CFL for the next 2 weeks and then switch for a 250w MH (to finish under 400w HPS).

Ps: the 3 on the bottom of the 3rd pic are deformed (one of them was a twin) but all the rest are well, with 3 or 4 plants having big indica leaves :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 23
Hey LRV and LB, hope you're doing good mates :)

Prof77, ah man I read your thread maybe 10 times when I was looking for a indica strain from MNS lol so if I grow them now, you can say it's a bit your fault ;) :D your thread is very well made as it already answered a ton of questions I had but if needed I'll send you a PM. Thanks, it is much appreciated :)

Thanks for looking in friends, it is going to be a long road as they just started but I'll be updating regularly so stay comfortable :)

Take care guys

Day 10

Hello friends,

Hey Unpossible thanks for the kind words, hope you're well mate :)

Buds instead of bombs? well, sounds interesting for the civilians :eek: ;)

Very nice NL5xAfg thread you made too (I was sad to see how your crop ended), I use it right now to compare the babies growth :) always found interesting to see the seedlings growth. I think plants are like human beings, all babies are cute... complications come later :rolleyes: :D

Well, here they are at 10 days (12 from seeds) and as you can see, the 3 on the bottom of the 1st pic are still weird (the one on the right is really undescribable, I call it "the thing" lol hope it won't attack me later :D) but all the others are fine :)

pic 3: the thing

Thanks for looking in friends, take care ;)

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 16
Hope you enjoy this strain, I had a super stoney pheno..

I think the father may be a particularly narcotic afg/sk, which can show in the seed plants..

Good luck and look forward to the updates

Peace
BL

Looking good Ptit Joe. Being mostly Afghani, do you find growth rates to be slower? I'm looking forward to seeing plant structure with these! Please, If you can shoot some picts before you top anything that would be Awesome!

Lb

Hello Billy, thanks for stopping by.
That's exactly what I am after, something strong! :D

Hey LB, for now all 12 plants have a nice growth rate (I'm not talking about the weird 3). Overall they are the same height except 4 which are more stocky with a darker green leaves (more indica type).

I took some pics this morning, so you can make your own opinion :)

Ps: I don't plan to top the plants but if I have to, I will take pics before ;)

Have a good day everyone :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 18
Day 14

Hi all,

Hey LRV, hope you're well mate ;) thanks for stopping by and the kind words :)

Yes the babies are growing nicely but due to the high t° I put them in the tent under 250w MH (they were in a small closet with no proper ventilation and the last 2 days here the t° was rising up to 29°. Now t° stays to 26/27° and they are under 250W so I hope they will appreciate the effort :D ).
Oh I also numbered them (I know, it was time... :rolleyes:) I was not able to find labels smaller than advertising signs but hey I do with what I can find a sunday afternoon :eek: :cool:.

Here they are in their new home.

Take care guys :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 23
Day 21

Hi all,

plants are doing well under the 250w MH and have been repotted in 7L pots today. On average, they are 15-18cm tall with tight nodes and 2-3cm branches start to appear on all plants (#8 already has two nice 5 cm branches). If they keep growing as they do right now, I plan to let them another 2 weeks in veg (5 days to recover of the transplantation and 10 days to develop well) before taking cuttings and switch to 12/12.

Take care guys :)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 16
Day 26

Hi all,

5 days since their last repotting and the babies developped well. 6 are a bit smaller than the 6 others (I still don't count the 2 which are not numbered) so I'll wait another 2 maybe 3 days before cloning them all.

I've changed my mind since my last post so now, after a few researches, I'm thinking to take 2 cuttings on each plant (12 will be used for sexing and
12 will be kept as "potential mothers") so I can let the plants grow a bit more during the sexing time... it could be useful if in the end I just have a few females. I'm not really experienced and have a small space for veg (50x70cm) so after a few researches I found this on youtube Secrets to Sexing Early - Male or Female? - YouTube and as you can see on the video, the guy says that cuttings don't need roots to flower
so he can sex his plants in around 10 days after taking cuttings :eek:
Sounds fantastic so I think I will try this way but before I would be interested to hear what you guys think about this method :confused:

Anyway, here are a few pics from today :)

Be well guys

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Day 31

Hi,

I took 12 cuttings on sunday so we will see what happens... also, plant #5 starts showing balls (2 other plants are suspect too but I'm not sure yet).

Pics are from today.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 20
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 18
12/12 day 5

Hi,

plants #2, 3 and 5 were males. I'll put the rest under 400W HPS tomorrow.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi Pit Joe, the plants are looking real good! Green and lush! How did you get on with the unrooted cuttings for determining sex? I've read about it before but have never tried it, did u just put them into the flower tent in a glass of water? Best of luck for the rest of your grow man.

I have heard people complain about this strain, and frankly any of the new nl5 crosses. Many said they didn't see much of any indica dominant traits. Personally all of yours look indica dom to me. Excited for you to see the outcome good luck.

Funny you say that weezy, I'm having the opposite experience, I've an nl5hz that I think is more indica dominant, it's tall like a haze but the buds have an indica appearance. Haven't smoked her yet so can't comment on the smoke!

Hi Alecky thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.

well, I used small bottles of water for 5 cuttings (# 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12) and the rest were in rockwool cubes, all placed under a 125w CFL. Plant #5 started to show balls a few days after I took the cuttings but cuttings # 2 & 3 which were in rockwool started to show balls yesterday (after 11 days).

It works and I think it's a good technique to sex plants if you can use it very early in veg so you don't waste time/space with males and you know exactly how big you can grow your females before switching into flower. For growers who are limited by space, it can be a good option to maximize their yields.

Hope it helps :)

Back