NL5xAfghan 2021

Great pictures, @Marijuana Gangster! What do you use for the black background?

Longball

Hi longball,

I use a peace of black cloth, not more. I removed all the plants from the grow tent and I installed the black cloth using clips, turned on the grow light on the lowest level and made pictures using a nikon d850 that I borrowed. But the background only appeared so black when I zoomed in. Whithout a zoom you could still see the tissue in the background like in this picture of NL5xAfghan #8

MG

to show background.jpg

Hello @Marijuana Gangster!

Thank you so much for the answer. I just picked up a Nikon D7500 and am hoping to take some nice pictures like yours. Not really digging the white backgrounds. The black background really seem to make the pictures 'pop'. Nice grow you have, been following along! :) Wishing you great success!

Longball

My pleasure bro and thank you too man. With a bit of camera skills you will sure be able to take much better pics than these. As I already mentioned, I still need to learn more about optimum light settings and the thousands of settings the camera allows. In my opinion my pictures are a bit too dark. But its the best I could do that day.

peace ✌ MG

Last edited:
NL5xAfghan #16
Domed tips – most sticky and resinous buds – fresh/minty and hashy type smell – a bit of purpling going on – second largest yield after #12 – This is my third keeper for its stickiness and nice flavor which I believe comes from the Afghan side (please correct me if I am wrong)
10,57g Yielded

16.1.jpg
16.2.jpg

Conclusion

The NL5xAfghans were standing on 0,2 m2, illuminated with 200W of white LED light and yielded 86,31g of dried and untrimmed bud. Only the largest leaves were removed but not the very small ones. This makes for a yield of 431,55 g per m2 for this run. I believe with adequate nutrient regime and with larger pots a higher yield is possible.

The strain is very forgiving knowing that in mid flower I had serious nutrient issues due to the tiny pots. Its only after installing a drip irrigation system and watering with nutrient solution daily for 5 minutes that the nutrient deficiency got better. While I guess the small pots were the main issue, I am quite sure that the switch to LED lighting (from 250W HPS) also added its part to the nutrient deficiency. I keep reading that plants consume more nutrients under LED than under HPS, especially Ca and Mg. Did anyone have similar experiences?

Concerning the phenos, you will certainly find something you like here if you re after fruity/skunky or fresh hashy indicas with a narcotic effect. You will know your keeper when you see it, for me the best is my #8. #11 and #16 were also nice and kept for further breeding projects. But #8 is the one. I would like to breed me an NL5xAfghan that smells like #8, is resinous and yields like #16 and has purple hues like #11… but no idea if I will ever really translate these thoughts into action 😅 If you find phenos like #7 with very thin and hairy pistils then discard them right away and free the space for something that’s worth it. I only grew it out because I thought maybe the freak will produce outstanding quality weed. But I was wrong.

So what will be up next? ... The doors

Peace MG

Conclusion

The NL5xAfghans were standing on 0,2 m2, illuminated with 200W of white LED light and yielded 86,31g of dried and untrimmed bud. Only the largest leaves were removed but not the very small ones. This makes for a yield of 431,55 g per m2 for this run. I believe with adequate nutrient regime and with larger pots a higher yield is possible.

The strain is very forgiving knowing that in mid flower I had serious nutrient issues due to the tiny pots. Its only after installing a drip irrigation system and watering with nutrient solution daily for 5 minutes that the nutrient deficiency got better. While I guess the small pots were the main issue, I am quite sure that the switch to LED lighting (from 250W HPS) also added its part to the nutrient deficiency. I keep reading that plants consume more nutrients under LED than under HPS, especially Ca and Mg. Did anyone have similar experiences?

Concerning the phenos, you will certainly find something you like here if you re after fruity/skunky or fresh hashy indicas with a narcotic effect. You will know your keeper when you see it, for me the best is my #8. #11 and #16 were also nice and kept for further breeding projects. But #8 is the one. I would like to breed me an NL5xAfghan that smells like #8, is resinous and yields like #16 and has purple hues like #11… but no idea if I will ever really translate these thoughts into action 😅 If you find phenos like #7 with very thin and hairy pistils then discard them right away and free the space for something that’s worth it. I only grew it out because I thought maybe the freak will produce outstanding quality weed. But I was wrong.

So what will be up next? ... The doors

Peace MG
Can't wait to see your doors in action. And love the details you give and description. Awesome grow with great results where you found a keeper or 2 .
On to the next one . I think I will start my 🚪 soon as well

Can't wait to see your doors in action. And love the details you give and description. Awesome grow with great results where you found a keeper or 2 .
On to the next one . I think I will start my 🚪 soon as well
Thank you man 👍. My doors grow is already going on and just finished week 4. Smells start to become hazey 😍😊 I grow them again in the same tiny 9x9x10cm pots and I am really excited about what is the smallest possible size of these 75% haze plants.
You will grow them outdoors in the tropics right? Looking forward to see your report. Maybe we can see the full potential in terms of plant size in your grow 😃

great pics

how you estimate the weight ?
Salut quinxstar,

Merci beacoup 🙏

I dried the plants for a week or so (until the main stem snapped) , then trimmed the large leaves and thick stems and weighed the buds before jarring.
The grow is already finished 2 months ago but had no time to upload the report before. Now I am on holiday and have plenty of time for these things 😃

Peace ✌ MG

Last edited:
Thank you man 👍. My doors grow is already going on and just finished week 4. Smells start to become hazey 😍😊 I grow them again in the same tiny 9x9x10cm pots and I am really excited about what is the smallest possible size of these 75% haze plants.
You will grow them outdoors in the tropics right? Looking forward to see your report. Maybe we can see the full potential in terms of plant size in your grow 😃
Still will try to keep them rather small. Or spread out for that matter. Thinking about waiting until after June to flower once I start so will hold off on starting those now. I think I have some cure to try saw a beauty from @quinxstar

So lets get to the interesting part. Before flowering the plants were numbered from 1-18 and I took two clones of each. After 1-2 weeks sex showed and plants nr 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13 and 18 were males resulting in 55.5% of the plants being females. Males were culled but the clones were kept for later evaluation. The 10 females were flowered out in 9x9x10cm pots until harvest.

So what different phenos did I see?

First a picture of the whole bunch one day before harvest (not the best one ... I know) They all have two tops.

View attachment 56346

Morphology
As already mentioned the plants were quite consistent in appearance even throughout flowering. The only difference was that some were taller and some were smaller. Considering the buds, there were mainly two types of buds as @musashi already mentioned in his grow report, those with domed tips and those with pointed tips. The bud structure was not related to the plant height giving all sorts of combinations. Only one of them (nr7) had weired kind of buds, with many and very thin pistils. never saw this before. Some plants also had some slight purple hues but most of them did not. Also the purple was only on the leaves and not on the calyxes.

Smell
Mainly I had two types of smells which also mixed a bit in some phenos but all of them had some earthiness. Then there were some that had a kind of hashy smell with a fresh and minty touch to it. The others smelled very fruity with a bit skunk in it. I think it was @musashi who described it as deep fruity smell of overripe fruits and I can only confirm this. I did not really get fresh berry smells, it was more like a chemical berry flavor like those purple popsicles or the purple skittles. The smell was not related to the bud structure as there were pointed and domed types that both had this fruitiness to them. Then there were those that exhibited a lot of smell and some that barely smelled at all.

Yield and finishing time
As always, some yielded more than others and the one that yielded most was the one that smelled least. I harvested all the plants on day 56 after flip to 12/12, that is the last day of week 8. Some were more ripe than others but all of them were ready enough to harvest. So far they are not dry yet so I cannot say anything about the final yield or about how they consume.

Detailed pictures of every female will follow soon ....
I describe the chemical berry as "bubblegum" your description is so much better.

Back