NL5 x Afghan indoors, 1 m², 400W MH veg., 600W HPS bloom

AhsocDT

Hello everyone.

I'll be growing NL5 x Afghan indoors.

Area: 1 meter x 1 meter
Medium: soil (dark humus, perlite)
Light/vegetation: 400 Watt Metal-Halide
Light/bloom: 600 Watt High Pressure Sodium
Fertilizer: Biocanna Flores (the soil is pre-fertilized and won't need anything during vegatation)

Training: ???
How does the NL5xAfghan cope with topping?
Would you recommend it?

Cheers, Ahsoc

some of mine stretched quite a bit and up to 3x in height while others barely grew up at all but more outward and bushy...for an F1 of two Indica's its quite diverse and requires a bit of selection...i grew her our she was very mellow and lightly euphoric, honestly smoked more like a light sativa than an indica...top em imho as it'll keep the tall ones closer to the naturally short plants

Last edited:
some of mine stretched quite a bit and up to 3x in height while others barely grew up at all but more outward and bushy...for an F1 of two Indica's its quite diverse and requires a bit of selection...i grew her our she was very mellow and lightly euphoric, honestly smoked more like a light sativa than an indica...top em imho as it'll keep the tall ones closer to the naturally short plants

Great advice, thanks!
I don't mind some diversity. It will be interesting :)

Edit: Delayed start, actually germinated now.

Soaked 12 NL5xAfghan seeds and 2 Barney's 8 Ball Kush in a glass of water overnight.
Planted them in starter pots with Canna Terra Professional.
Temperature stable at 25°C under 400W MH.

Last edited:
The first NL5 x Afghan had enough of the dark soil and is headed towards the light. I've got a feeling it's a girl :D

Edit: 100% germination for all 12 NL5xAfghan seeds. Got 12 seedlings now. Very satisfied.

Attachments

• firstnl5.jpg
    firstnl5.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
All 12 are well and healthy.
I've seen two phenotypes so far:
A) Fat Indica leaves
B) Something inbetween Sativa and Indica
The aforementioned 3-leaved mutant is of type A).
They're still too small to see more differences. I will post photos later.

Last edited:
All 12 are well and healthy.
I've seen two phenotypes so far:
A) Fat Indica leaves
B) Something inbetween Sativa and Indica
The aforementioned 3-leaved mutant is of type A).
They're still too small to see more differences. I will post photos later.

I've grown 4 or 5 out of my pack so far, another going right now. I didn't top any of them and they tended to be nice classic indica shape plants ... I personally wouldn't top them on the first run. I normally take cuts and, if they are worth running again, try topping one of the cuts to see how they respond. Good luck with yours.

I've grown 4 or 5 out of my pack so far, another going right now. I didn't top any of them and they tended to be nice classic indica shape plants ... I personally wouldn't top them on the first run. I normally take cuts and, if they are worth running again, try topping one of the cuts to see how they respond. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for your input :) I will refrain from topping except for #12.

Indica dominant phenotypes of NL5xA apparently need much more N than the Sativas.
I got 2 Sativa-lookalikes: #7 and #12. They're both tall and showed their characteristics very early.
The aforementioned 3-leaf mutant #11 guzzles Nitrate and therefore got the worst deficiency. It's one of my favorites that will be definitely cloned. Very bushy.

Edit: There were occasional problems with low temperatures. This will hopefully resolve itself during flowering when the 400W is replaced by 600W.

Edit 2: The N deficiency of plant #11 (mutant), is still getting worse. I will fertilize it more often than the others (with organic Biocanna Vega).

Attachments

• NL5xAfghan_01.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 34
  • NL5xAfghan_02.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_02.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 24
  • NL5xAfghan_03.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_03.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23
  • NL5xAfghan_04.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_04.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17
  • NL5xAfghan_05.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_05.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 30
  • NL5xAfghan_06.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_06.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
  • NL5xAfghan_07.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_07.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 26
  • NL5xAfghan_08.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_08.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 13
  • NL5xAfghan_09.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_09.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 23
  • NL5xAfghan_10.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_10.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 20
  • NL5xAfghan_11.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_11.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 28
  • NL5xAfghan_12.jpg
    NL5xAfghan_12.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
good work, looking forward to seeing your grow all the way through, very helpful. Wishing you great luck in your seedling search!

good work, looking forward to seeing your grow all the way through, very helpful. Wishing you great luck in your seedling search!

Thanks!
Just a small update... early in flowering now.
It's crowded but the first males are already showing themselves.
They will be removed tonight.

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 55
  • male.jpg
    male.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for your input :) I will refrain from topping except for #12.

Indica dominant phenotypes of NL5xA apparently need much more N than the Sativas.
I got 2 Sativa-lookalikes: #7 and #12. They're both tall and showed their characteristics very early.
The aforementioned 3-leaf mutant #11 guzzles Nitrate and therefore got the worst deficiency. It's one of my favorites that will be definitely cloned. Very bushy.

Edit: There were occasional problems with low temperatures. This will hopefully resolve itself during flowering when the 400W is replaced by 600W.

Edit 2: The N deficiency of plant #11 (mutant), is still getting worse. I will fertilize it more often than the others (with organic Biocanna Vega).

Good Choice On Not Topping. LST Works Wonders If You Encounter Stretch ( With That Halide You'll Have Nice Squat Plants)
I'd Love A Halide Again
Anyways, All The Best With Your Grow
JKP
Edit2; Have You Considered A Foliar Feed Of Epsom Salts?

Attachments

• SOG-Supreme_-Fenix_1-2-_Fuzzybudz.jpg
    SOG-Supreme_-Fenix_1-2-_Fuzzybudz.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 166
  • ChunkyMonkey5.jpg
    ChunkyMonkey5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 59
  • MaryJanePhenobefore12-12.jpg
    MaryJanePhenobefore12-12.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 53
  • lightpyramid- Lumens-Distance.jpg
    lightpyramid- Lumens-Distance.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Nevil And Shantis Ortega- NL1- No Red Hairs- Aug2011.jpg
    Nevil And Shantis Ortega- NL1- No Red Hairs- Aug2011.jpg
    934.6 KB · Views: 135
Good Choice On Not Topping. LST Works Wonders If You Encounter Stretch ( With That Halide You'll Have Nice Squat Plants)
I'd Love A Halide Again
Anyways, All The Best With Your Grow
JKP
Edit2; Have You Considered A Foliar Feed Of Epsom Salts?

No but that's a very good thought. I will try it.
Magnesium deficiency is very possible here.
The soil is commercial, prefertilized, but not specifically for hemp.
It should have more than enough nitrate but maybe not magnesium.

Edit 1: So far there's only ONE male. Oh boy. That's going to get crowded in there.
I planned for 30-50% males. Worst case, I'll have to take off a few leaves or branches that get barely any light.

Edit 2: 2 males. 10 females.

Edit 3: Possibly one hermaphrodite. A bit too early too tell but I'm monitoring this plant closely.

Temperatures during the day: 20°C
Humidity: 40%

Last edited:
No big news.
@Joe King Park: The deficiency resolved itself after repotting and with the use of Biocanna Flores but I'll still keep the magnesium thing in mind.

As of now I'd categorize my 12 plants into 4 phenotypes:
  • Indica, "mushroom" shaped growth, very broad leaves. Looks great for SoG. Afghan heritage?
  • Indica, bushy growth, with somewhat thinner leaves. Looks great for normal use. NL5 heritage?
  • Sativa (only 2 out of 12). Healthy, tall, but not terribly interesting. Responds well to topping.
  • The one Indica mutant, VERY bushy, irregular, vigorous, broad leaves. I love when nature is playful.

2 days ago clones were taken of my 4 favorites:

NL5xA #4: "Mushroom" Indica
NL5xA #9: Bushy Indica
NL5xA #11: The mutant
and one Barney's Farm 8 Ball Kush. Healthy plant, homogenous growth. Branches a lot. Branches grow high. It's said to be great for ScrOGs which I believe without a doubt.

Also 2 clones were taken from a Salvia Divinorum plant <3. Let's see how they cope with the aeroponic cloner. They withered after only 6 hours but recovered after 36. Sally D. is a creature of habbit. It never seems to like rapid changes of its environment but adapts to almost everything sooner or later.

Last edited:
NL5xAfghan going purple
and the biggest head bud

Both are phenotypes leaning towards NL5

Attachments

• nl5ap.jpg
    nl5ap.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 118
  • NL5xA-Nr1.jpg
    NL5xA-Nr1.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 144
OK, it's finished!
Executive summary:
  • no mold whatsoever!
  • no hermaphrodites!
  • good yield despite temperature problems!
  • one very pretty purple pheno (NL5 leaning)
  • the highest yielder was an afghan pheno => selected as a mother
  • Magnesium deficiency early on, probably due to temperatures or over-fertilized soil (won't buy again)
I'm very content :)

I've uploaded several photos to my album:
NL5xAfghan - MNS forum photo galleries

NL5xAfghan-03-Pre-Harvest-CloseUp2.jpg

NL5xAfghan-01-Pre-Harvest.jpg

NL5xAfghan-04-Pre-Harvest.jpg

Last edited:
nice work! Look forward to your comments on the smoke.
I've only tried that 1 odd Sativa pheno yet. Man... I cursed that pheno for weeks because it stretched so much but in the end it had the best fruity smell. :D It's a strong head high with no body stone. It's good but I prefer a nice balance. All the other plants are very different, more Indica as expected. I'll try one after another during the upcoming weeks.

Picture of the odd Sativa:
bud21.jpg

Oh, and here's the chosen mother (plant #9, afghan dominant). The clone was cut 2 weeks into flower and revegged in a simple DIY aeroponic cloner.
selected_mother.jpg

Last edited:
man this looks really good. I love the looks of that spear shaped bud. how long did you flower that for?

I did a selection run on 2 packs of the NL5/Afghan. I had 1 really heavy afghan leaning pheno that had a metallic taste. 1 NL5 leaning pheno with a somewhat berry smell.
but I swear every single other female was a 50/50 mix. with some stinky smells. I was very happy with the results of the grow. but I do wish I had 1 of your spear shaped buds.

I am veg'ing clones from the selected mother's now. going to turn them back in a few weeks.

everyone loved it. but all of mine were pretty sleepy or at least really relaxing. I remember last time I smoked it my body just melted.

i would not mind trying some nl5 / skunk

peace
Lammy

Hey man! I intended to reply but totally forgot. Sorry.

man this looks really good. I love the looks of that spear shaped bud. how long did you flower that for?
All were flowering for about 8 weeks and cut at the same time because I have no separate room to dry. Most were ready except the Sativa dom.

I did a selection run on 2 packs of the NL5/Afghan. I had 1 really heavy afghan leaning pheno that had a metallic taste. 1 NL5 leaning pheno with a somewhat berry smell.
but I swear every single other female was a 50/50 mix. with some stinky smells. I was very happy with the results of the grow. but I do wish I had 1 of your spear shaped buds.
I had one NL5 leaning with a fruity smell too. Good stuff.
The spear shaped lady was a deviation but it's not exceptional other than with looks. Good but average.

I am veg'ing clones from the selected mother's now. going to turn them back in a few weeks.

everyone loved it. but all of mine were pretty sleepy or at least really relaxing. I remember last time I smoked it my body just melted.

i would not mind trying some nl5 / skunk

peace
Lammy

Good luck and enjoy!

all the best
ahsoc

Back