NEW RULES- Open photo assignment- Share your favorite random pics

View attachment 86917

Always wondered what happened to her.

View attachment 86918

By the way, as per your book thread comment about being a former research librarian. Librarians were like clergy and libraries my safe haven growing up. So much respect and I always love those "unattended children" signs. Kudos

Can relate to the rumination too...

Not as per the kid, I mean that's not so long ago, but in general on how little time we have with anyone and how all of our days are numbered

Rock I found in Farmington River, Connecticut, while searching the river for......rocks. I'm a bit of a rock hound. A garden hose was spraying water on the rock as I was practicing trying to freeze motion. The rock was added as pictures were quite boring without it. Using a DSLR in any type of manual mode is all about practice, practice, practice. There are no shortcuts or magic settings.

Freeze DSC_0881 2 -2.jpg

Some people will do almost anything to capture that one-in-a-million-shot.

Gr Pi XXX J8BcipI.jpg

Decided to shoot in monochrome the other day. This was the only picture I liked. Very little post-processing was done. Not much you can do to monochrome except lighten/darken? I cropped the tree on the left because the picture was too black. It also moved the sun off center which makes for a nicer picture. Sun is over exposed but that is what happens when you shoot into the sun without filters.
Focal length 55mm
Aperture f/18
Shutter speed 1/160 sec
ISO 100

LR WDS Dog 1-2A.jpg

A Truck for Mr. Brown

No, not this truck, though I'm sure @Mr. Brown would be glad to drive it like he stole it!

2C01CEE8-5C8E-44A9-B7AD-AF49C2054FC8.jpeg

I am talking about Bob Motz's 'Shockwave' Jet Truck with 2 J79 jet engines.

100_1017.JPG

General Electric J79 Afterburner Turbojet Engine produces the equivalent of 13,000 horsepower!

600px-General_Electric_J79.jpg

Firing up the 2 J79's produces 26,000 horsepower. Very close to Mr. Brown's recommended dosage. The heat and sound of the engines scared this photographer into a bit of camera shake!

Shockwave 2.jpg

A full on afterburner blast created an over exposure that can't be recovered in post production. It also creates so much light, heat, and noise that I had to duck behind a concrete retaining wall. I might have been a little bit too close to it.

Shockwave 3.jpg

After the afterburner blast we can see that the tree is on fire, the fence is on fire, even the road is on fire! Pretty much for 200 feet behind Shockwave everything was on fire, some panels were blown off the fence. This beginning photographer did not have a wide angle lens or even think of taking other picture. Just stood there slack jawed in shock and awe.

Shockwave 4.jpg

Lebanon Valley Dragway in Beautiful Upstate New York is a rather short track and not all NHRA events/runs are sanctioned there. While the track is pretty sticky the lanes do look pretty slick. Got to admit that I am a little nervous each time I race down the track. All drag tracks look slippery like that.

gdhfo.jpg

Here's a short video of it at an airport where it can stretch out it's legs a bit. 330+MPH! Video gives a better idea of how how loud and bright it is and that I took my pictures much closer. It was also very hot where I was. Face melting hot which is why I ducked behind concrete retaining wall. Enjoy the truck Mr. Brown!

Longball

Last edited:
Late summer afternoon on gorgeous Great Sacandaga Lake located in Beautiful Upstate New York! The word Sacandaga means "Land of the Waving Grass" in the native Mohawk language.

Great Sacandaga Lake.jpg

The red X in the left center of picture marks Northampton Point where I was standing to take picture looking straight across west arm of lake.

Photo173821o.jpg

Longball

Very nice Longball!

But for the love of god where is that red x?
I've been staring at that picture for several minutes now and I can't find it and is drives me nuts.
Are you playing us here?🙃

If there is an x I blame it on the Mango Haze and being a bit coloured blind.😂

Cool picture anyways.:cool:

Very nice Longball!

But for the love of god where is that red x?
I've been staring at that picture for several minutes now and I can't find it and is drives me nuts.
Are you playing us here?🙃

If there is an x I blame it on the Mango Haze and being a bit coloured blind.😂

Cool picture anyways.:cool:

Hope this helps! Left of center. Above Route 30 marker.

Photo173j821o.jpg

@Swifty, ya might want to take it easy:

Bong.jpg

Hope this helps! Left of center. Above Route 30 marker.

View attachment 88623

@Swifty, ya might want to take it easy:

View attachment 88624
Thanks, I see it now (on both pictures).
I apologize Longball, I overindulged🍁 a bit and it shows it here.🙈

Had the house for myself, all the girls are away and that did not happen since a long time.🥳
I started the weekend with a nice drink and a fat blunt and we all know were this leads to in the end...
Waking up in the middle of the night on the couch with with the tv playing and a severe case of the munchies.😅

Had my first :coffee:, al better now and enjoying the ☮️.

Back