Neville's Haze Mango, in search of a keeper

Day 1 of flowering (12/12).

I left 2-3 nodes, in week or so I will reduce the branches on each plant to 2.
Goal here is to start with fairly equally sized branches on each plant, leaving a couple of nodes to start makes this a bit easier.
In 1-2 weeks I will make a cut from every plant as a mom/dad.

I don't think I will keep the males this year to flower out unless I find an exceptional one (still not 100% sure on this, will see if I can pull it off eventually).
Males will be removed here as soon as I spot them.
A fair amount showed or was starting to show sex, plants are near maturity.

These smell a bit more pungent and stincky, I see strong stems and great vigour in this line.
After topping I notided very sticky fingers from NHM!

View attachment 85797View attachment 85798View attachment 85799View attachment 85800

Rootbound risk is here, important that I feed them enough and remove every male asap to make extra room.

View attachment 85801View attachment 85802

Light stays at this for now, I will gradually build it up but I will not push them by any means.
Quality over quantity in this selection round!

View attachment 85803
What brand is that led bar? It looks like the Mars Hydro SP250 I have. Which I need to replace my t5 with.

thats looking very good swifty!

Do you have any worms in that soil btw? if so, you could topdress with something like leaves or something to give those roots a bit more protection and automatically fertilize your soil. otherwise you could get some more soil in there to give them a bit more space and protection.

Vigorous looking root mass there @Swifty looking good 👌🏼
Thanks eazynz!

What brand is that led bar? It looks like the Mars Hydro SP250 I have. Which I need to replace my t5 with.
It is the SP3000 Trickcomanche.:)

thats looking very good swifty!

Do you have any worms in that soil btw? if so, you could topdress with something like leaves or something to give those roots a bit more protection and automatically fertilize your soil. otherwise you could get some more soil in there to give them a bit more space and protection.
Thanks sneackyfeck!

I don't have worms in the soil. You did trigger me to try your method in the future.
I see your big swollen resin heads and that tells me everything about this method.(y)
The plan is to amend extra soil on the bottom (after some root pruning) and also on top.
I will wait to do this in mid stretch.

Day 9 of flowering.

I trimmed all the fan leaves off the main stalk yesterday to promote new growth.
Every plant responded good and will deliver 2 healthy branches.
I will cut the excess branches of later on this week.
The aim is to start with 2 branches on each individual, It is preferred to start with even size branches on al plants here.

There is one plant that shows remarkabal trichome production, it is a stinky plant.

Light is at 40% now.
Only 1ml/l Alga Bloom for now.

NHM43.jpgNHM44.jpgNHM45.jpgNHM46.jpgNHM47.jpgNHM48.jpgNHM49.jpgNHM50.jpg

Day 15 of flower.

Pulled 3 males already and saw a couple females.
After removing the males I will pull the rootmass out in one piece, gently cut 1/4-1/3 off the bottom.
I will refill that part first with guano ammended soil and also topdress the rootmass after placing it back.
Hope to do this in 1-2 weeks max.

NHM51.jpgNHM52.jpgNHM53.jpgNHM54.jpgNHM55.jpg

Just done making the last cut, alot of work already to reach this point but if I find only one elite female it will be worth it.
So balance from these +-10 year old seeds are:

- Started with 42 seeds
- Managed to get 32 plants
- I saw 12 males (did not keep them)
- I have 20 females to flower out

So far they are not harder to grow than the Mango Haze's from last year.

I must say that many females have a real strong sour stench to them, this sets them apart from the Mango line.
I did not encounter this strong smell in any of the Mango's from last year, I pressume that the Neville's haze has something to do with this.:)

NHM64.jpg

Cuts look happy, hope they al root.

Attachments

• NHM63.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Thanks pleased420. :) (y)
I have a better method this year for germinating and ofcourse the quality of the seeds are what makes this possible.
MNS🤟
There are a ton of seed priming treatments, that have a range of effects and can be readily researched. There is peer reviewed evidence that priming with melatonin can actually reverse some age related degradation, at least in aged corn seed and a few others. No other treatment boasts that. Though, as part of the presoak for actual germing, I found compost tea/leachate to improve things further still. Just throwing that out there. Also, in other species or even in some finicky Cannabis, I have found it to improve the tolerance to a wider range of temperatures for germination. A resilience against dampening off, and about a month of boosted vigor, with no additional treatments. Just something, for the back of your mind.

I even did two different plots of Tazzies, one primed and the other just soaked in the same solution. It was like an "as seen on tv ad" the contrast.

Apparently the practice dates to Roman times, at least, using manure leachates. There are a few "proof of concept studies, showing a benefit from aerated water even. Vitamin C, Zinc nanoparticles, compost leachates, Morgana , liquid yeast extract (purer sativas don;t generally seem to like this one,) smoke infused water, chitosan, and more... are all possibilities. Morgana and melatonin are like a killer Mo Town hit. It gets along with everyone.

There are a ton of seed priming treatments, that have a range of effects and can be readily researched. There is peer reviewed evidence that priming with melatonin can actually reverse some age related degradation, at least in aged corn seed and a few others. No other treatment boasts that. Though, as part of the presoak for actual germing, I found compost tea/leachate to improve things further still. Just throwing that out there. Also, in other species or even in some finicky Cannabis, I have found it to improve the tolerance to a wider range of temperatures for germination. A resilience against dampening off, and about a month of boosted vigor, with no additional treatments. Just something, for the back of your mind.

I even did two different plots of Tazzies, one primed and the other just soaked in the same solution. It was like an "as seen on tv ad" the contrast.

Apparently the practice dates to Roman times, at least, using manure leachates. There are a few "proof of concept studies, showing a benefit from aerated water even. Vitamin C, Zinc nanoparticles, compost leachates, Morgana , liquid yeast extract (purer sativas don;t generally seem to like this one,) smoke infused water, chitosan, and more... are all possibilities. Morgana and melatonin are like a killer Mo Town hit. It gets along with everyone.
Thanks for this info WDS!

How have you changed up your method?

I try to keep it as simple as possible Diesel.
I start by letting the seeds acclimatize for at least 7 days at room temp after pulling them out of the fridge.
I went from presoak in tap water (24-48h) to straight planting in Light Mix with no added heat to presoak tap water (24h) and planting in seedling mix with added heat (soil temp between 25°C-26C° just under the level of the seeds and I saw a nice improvement. Last years seeds where in the same age range and results were not as good as this year.
The seedling mix seemed sterilized, no bugs detected that could damage the seedlings. I've seen this in the past.
Larvae of fungus gnats are little worms that eat slow growing roots and kill freshly sprouted plants.

Heat is energy and very much needed by the embryo imo.

Thanks for this info WDS!

I try to keep it as simple as possible Diesel.
I start by letting the seeds acclimatize for at least 7 days at room temp after pulling them out of the fridge.
I went from presoak in tap water (24-48h) to straight planting in Light Mix with no added heat to presoak tap water (24h) and planting in seedling mix with added heat (soil temp between 25°C-26C° just under the level of the seeds and I saw a nice improvement. Last years seeds where in the same age range and results were not as good as this year.
The seedling mix seemed sterilized, no bugs detected that could damage the seedlings. I've seen this in the past.
Larvae of fungus gnats are little worms that eat slow growing roots and kill freshly sprouted plants.

Heat is energy and very much needed by the embryo imo.

If you have something, limited, irreplaceable, and are wanting the kid glove treatment. You can pasteurize the media and let it cool completely, before using it.

No problem. Researching bio stimulants helped me cope with an extreme burnout episode, where I could do little else.

I have "kitchen sinked" it and ended up with the healthiest, tastiest tomatoes (diced or as slicers,) that produced til the frost (through a lot of cold wet) [Raspberry Lyanna] Which are a type, that I saw people complain about quitting before the season was out.... but.... but.... When I tried to make pasta sauce or shakshuka with it. I had to just throw it out, and I am NOT one to waste food. It was just that damn acidic. Point being, on non-Cannabis plants, I'd look at research pertinent to viticulture and aromatic plants. Because the end phytochemistry matters more with those.

For an example, I saw a study looking at the effects of salicyclic acid as a foliar, on Cannabis specifically, and it boosted THC and MONOTERPENES, but turned off gene expression for CBD and sesquiterpenes. So it is truly an act of experimentation. On priming Cannabis seed, when in doubt I don't do a second over 6 hours. When I know it, it will go up to a 16 hour treatment, with clear negative effects after that point. "Pro tip" your phone has an alarm.... Kidding but not.

All of that to say, "you're welcome Swifty," and to add a little more context.

Day 36 of flowering.

I see more difference in pheno's in this line.
I can see the faster pheno's and also the longer flowering ones already.
Smell wise they got me excited, some very hazy and special smells already!
This week they will get 3ml/l Alga Bloom and LED is at 100% now.

NHM71.jpgNHM72.jpg

Some different phenos:

NHM73.jpgNHM74.jpgNHM75.jpgNHM76.jpgNHM77.jpg

Gulliver would have been thrilled.

My question is: have you grown out MH too? I am trying to get a fix on the nuances between MH, this, and NH, and what is potentially lost or changed in their crossing. One thing in particular: the MH is described as having really good outdoor hardiness. I wonder if that is intact. (also as per the Angel Heart)

I know that this is the "finding a keeper" thread, but I would rather ask you guys than to pester Shanti. So Mr. Brown... or anyone...? Bueller...?

Mr. Brown; you have particularly good taste in seeds, brother. Wouldn't expect any less from a smart German.

Gulliver would have been thrilled.

My question is: have you grown out MH too? I am trying to get a fix on the nuances between MH, this, and NH, and what is potentially lost or changed in their crossing. One thing in particular: the MH is described as having really good outdoor hardiness. I wonder if that is intact. (also as per the Angel Heart)

I know that this is the "finding a keeper" thread, but I would rather ask you guys than to pester Shanti. So Mr. Brown... or anyone...? Bueller...?

Mr. Brown; you have particularly good taste in seeds, brother. Wouldn't expect any less from a smart German.
Yes, did grow Mango Haze before this grow WDS.
Got a thread up in Mango Haze section, worth looking into imo!
My experience is limited to indoors, it was a grow that finished with colder temps and higer humidity and only one plant got mold in the biggest bud (Mango Haze#11 aka Big Bertha). Still have her and she is flowering now in the shed.
They did not see a single drop of rain/ water so can't comment on that.

I can talk on SSH vs Mango Haze:

SSH being a stronger, darker & colder type of high and Mango is strong, gentle & warmer.
SSH takes you for a ride while Mango goes on a journey with you if that makes any sense...
I love the keepers from both.

Back