My medicineman hunt

Islandgrower

2021 COE Winner
Hi all here to make my first update on my medicine men/women they were born on the 21st of August.
So about 34 days now . Put 9 to germinate and got 100% germination . Started in paper towels and planted in a peat moss / coco coir mix for propagation (minimal nutes) and being fed masterblend nutrients which is just like Jack's. A dry 3 part.IMG_20200924_190505_138.jpg

They're showing signs of being rootbound (dropping lower fan leaves and limited branching) but should not be in that size container (about 1/2 gallon??).
I would up size containers to be safe....but that's just my opinion from what I see in the pics.
Sorry, it's an old habit of mine and probably due to me always scrutinizing every plant I see as if it's my own.
What does your soil consist of ?
(edit)
Never mind...now I see that they WERE rootbound in those little styrofoam cups and you have just up potted them.
Expect a quick jump in size and then them being rootbound again pretty soon.
They really are ready for about 2 to 3 gallon size.

Last edited:
They're showing signs of being rootbound (dropping lower fan leaves and limited branching) but should not be in that size container (about 1/2 gallon??).
I would up size containers to be safe....but that's just my opinion from what I see in the pics.
Sorry, it's an old habit of mine and probably due to me always scrutinizing every plant I see as if it's my own.
What does your soil consist of ?
Thanks for the input. My soil is a mix of peat moss and coco with a starter charge. Made for propogation . I am feeding masterblend nutrients. And I am just holding out to see what sex they are for uppotting. The leaf loss could have been from when I let them dry too much but your reason is more plausible now that I think about it.
Thanks I appreciate your advice.

20200929_102630_compress35.jpgso I realised I have 2 medman with slight mutations 1 topped herself at the 2and nod and the oother has 2 leaves then 3 then 2 then one and back to three again 20200929_102653_compress11.jpg20200927_103012_compress61.jpg

Attachments

• 20200929_102859_compress98.jpg
    20200929_102859_compress98.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 3
I transplanted one of the males today in case I want some pollen . So I got 7 females from 9 seeds . Good average . Lots better than the one time i got 6 females out of 20 seeds popped . That was horrendous. Lol .....luck of the draw I guess .

Having some issues before I can put them out to flower I need to eradicate red mites. I will get them soon hahahah just needs my attention daily . And I will win .

So checking the ladies daily and removing any mites seen by hand. The numbers are dwindling. Will put out the 4 least affected tomorrow to flower. Have to remember to take clones as well.

Nice garden! Those Medicine Man are very appealing.
Just a suggestion to eliminate potential for mites, which is to
top up the pots as close to the edge of the rim. To keep the surface dry
and with air flow. Pro mix does tend to sink more over time compared to coco,
maybe packing it down when you fill them might help.
Insects don't like Neem oil, so I rub the stems with it and any excess gets smeared
on the pots. Good luck

Nice garden! Those Medicine Man are very appealing.
Just a suggestion to eliminate potential for mites, which is to
top up the pots as close to the edge of the rim. To keep the surface dry
and with air flow. Pro mix does tend to sink more over time compared to coco,
maybe packing it down when you fill them might help.
Insects don't like Neem oil, so I rub the stems with it and any excess gets smeared
on the pots. Good luck
Thanks for the ideas . Will definitely try some of those tips .

For organic I use habenero peppers. I boil like 10 peppers or more until soft. Then I let it cool and put them and the water I boiled them in into a blender on high. Once it's smooth I strain it. I put on gloves and use a straining bag and a bowl. I pour the mixture into the bag and strain out all the solids. Then I put the liquid into a spray bottle and spray down the plants, especially the underside. I do this 2 or 3 time to make sure all are eradicated.

PS,
The oils from the peppers destroy the exoskeleton of the mites.

For organic I use habenero peppers. I boil like 10 peppers or more until soft. Then I let it cool and put them and the water I boiled them in into a blender on high. Once it's smooth I strain it. I put on gloves and use a straining bag and a bowl. I pour the mixture into the bag and strain out all the solids. Then I put the liquid into a spray bottle and spray down the plants, especially the underside. I do this 2 or 3 time to make sure all are eradicated.

PS,
The oils from the peppers destroy the exoskeleton of the mites.
Thank you so much I will definitely try that as well .

Back