mothers...

gdi

today finaly get CM and CS, must say quick delivery (5days)!
PS: get 19 seeds CM, thanks shanti for mistake:)

so i think about future mother plants which way is better, keep mother from seed or taking clone from seed flower, is some difference at all or not?

Shanti recommends keeping seed plants as mothers, although clones as mothers are fine too. :)

Thanks for the link Ouchie.

I didn't read it that the seed mothers are best kept as mothers indefinitely, rather that it is better to use clones.
To manage the fitness and health of the strain it is essential to cut a clone from the old mother/fathers, root them and grow them under natural sunlight for a period of about 1-2 months then bring them or a clone of them back inside to take over from the old parents as new mother/father plants.

i was notice from my mothers plants (from seed), that if i cut, for example: from each, 10 clones, i get six or seven "normal" clones and the other four looks like from different mother, like different pheno..... but all are from one mother, interesting!

i was notice from my mothers plants (from seed), that if i cut, for example: from each, 10 clones, i get six or seven "normal" clones and the other four looks like from different mother, like different pheno..... but all are from one mother, interesting!
It depends on how strong the cutting is IMO. Thickness/height of the clone's stem, amount of nodes/sets of leaves on the clone, size of leaves on the clone etc.

GM1

Thanks for the link Ouchie.

I didn't read it that the seed mothers are best kept as mothers indefinitely, rather that it is better to use clones.

To manage the fitness and health of the strain it is essential to cut a clone from the old mother/fathers, root them and grow them under natural sunlight for a period of about 1-2 months then bring them or a clone of them back inside to take over from the old parents as new mother/father plants.

This is used for reinvigorating a plant you've had in the garden for quite some time :) It's not really that big of a deal if you keep a seed plant as a mother or a clone, it's up to personal preference.

Different in what way? Pics?

some of them have dark leaves with different structure and bud smell like hmmm, citrus fruit, bud werry hard smell, the other with more bright leaves have yust fruit smell which is nice to! mmmmmm:)

i get some pics soon!

Last edited:
I do find some variation between clones off of the same mother, but also find that the differences even out after say 2 or 3 weeks of vegging so as to become unnoticeable by the end of flowering.

I agree its a matter of preference and whether you believe in genetic drift or not.I've had some of my strains for yrs and I think if you keep just taking cuttings to replace cuttings and don't keep a mom long term the strains can lose some of their oomph. This is just my opinion and could be contributed to something else? again its a matter of preference i guess.

how much T5 light

i make new setup for mother plants. i want keep them short about 2ft, and i wander how much W should get them?
2x70w or 2x110W 5ft long, should be enough?

Last edited:
i make new setup for mother plants. i want keep them short about 2ft, and i wander how much W should get them?
2x70w or 2x110W 5ft long, should be enough?

How many plants? How many cuts do you want take from them and how often?

I'd say 200w of fluoros is plenty enough to keep 6 mothers even if you are taking a fair few cuts from them.

If you only want to take cuts every month or two, you could use far fewer watts, say 10 or 15W per plant should be fine. They don't need much to keep them ticking over.

How many plants? How many cuts do you want take from them and how often?

I'd say 200w of fluoros is plenty enough to keep 6 mothers even if you are taking a fair few cuts from them.

If you only want to take cuts every month or two, you could use far fewer watts, say 10 or 15W per plant should be fine. They don't need much to keep them ticking over.

hey FARM...
i will have about 10-20 mothers in 1gal pots for six months, but like i said bonsai mothers.
i need 100 clones every two month.

at this moment i have 3 moms 3-4 ft under 70W T5 5ft long and i was able took 100 clones every one and half month.

tell me if i put my seedlings under 150w MH for one or two month (i dont want too much strech with poor light), and then back to 70W T5 can couse some stress, beacuse changing of lights?

hey FARM...
i will have about 10-20 mothers in 1gal pots for six months, but like i said bonsai mothers.
i need 100 clones every two month.

at this moment i have 3 moms 3-4 ft under 70W T5 5ft long and i was able took 100 clones every one and half month.

tell me if i put my seedlings under 150w MH for one or two month (i dont want too much strech with poor light), and then back to 70W T5 can couse some stress, beacuse changing of lights?

You should be ok switching between the MH and fluoro, switching lights does cause some stress but decent genetics should be fine with that change once in a while (the difference between 150 MH and 70 fluoro is not too much IMO).

I think you should be fine anyway with 2 x 70W for your 10-20 moms so as to take 100 clones every two months. If they look like they are not big enough you can add a little extra light in the last couple of weeks before taking cuts anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about stretch with mature vegging plants, they just tend to slow down under low light levels.. seedlings will stretch like crazy under low light levels though.

fg

here's a couple pics of my stealth motherbox powered by a 2 foot, 4 bulb T5 that i seldom run with all 4 bulbs, which btw are 24watts each.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...inside this box i'm able to keep 21 mothers in 2liter coke-bottles that give me WAY more cuts than i can use, ...and a lot of variety i CAN use, lol.

here's a couple shots of a Strawberry Cough mom from my growbro, ...he turned this into a mom from a clone i'd given him in this same 9oz cup over a year ago, ...as small as she is, she produces an ASSLOAD of cuts, lol.

someotherguy-albums-misc-un-sorted-picture9029-sc-mom-1a.jpg

someotherguy-albums-misc-un-sorted-picture9030-sc-mom-1c.jpg

...so i guess my point is that you shouldn't overthink it, cannabis is a VERY hardy plant as a rule and can take much abuse while you learn, ...worry about genetic drift and all that shit AFTER you learn how to read your plants.

peace, SOG

Nice men!

i be good then with 4x49W 5ft long, for shoure.
this mothers which i keep them now under 70W T5, they have full grown about 2ft from the lights! perfect i must say!

i will prefer T5 4ft long but hear where we are have mostly 5ft long.

Back